Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

6 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Luckily, CPL is NOT single entity, its owned by the  clubs that make up the league.

WTF are you talking about?!?

The league existed before any teams did. When ownership groups were approved, names, logos, and colours all went through the league offices for creation. The shirt deal is league-wide with a single supplier. The TV deal is being negotiated by the league and, although I have absolutely zero information, I believe the team shirt sponsors will be negotiated by the league.

What is incredible is how some people still think this is a problem more than two years after they announced they were going to do it this way, and after they have actually got this far. This structure has brought us to the brink of pro soccer on a national scale with a positive outlook for coast-to-coast football for years to come.

Why is this an issue?!?

This thread is about players in the CanPL and individual teams have been given the freedom to recruit players with a salary cap. What more do you want?

The fastest way to destroy this league in its infancy would be to have unlimited player budgets. This lesson has been learned the hard way over the last 50 years in North American soccer.

How about we simply do what normal fans do, and share rumours and hopes of what players might be signed!

4 hours ago, ted said:

The league existed before any teams did. When ownership groups were approved, names, logos, and colours all went through the league offices for creation. The shirt deal is league-wide with a single supplier. The TV deal is being negotiated by the league and, although I have absolutely zero information, I believe the team shirt sponsors will be negotiated by the league....

Expanding on that last bit, you left out the CSB angle, the webstreaming company that was purchased and the way even things like naming rights on stadia are being handled collectively. They are trying to emulate MLS (albeit on a smaller scale) in a lot of ways, but that's the last thing some people want to hear.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Expanding on that last bit, you left out the CSB angle, the webstreaming company that was purchased and the way even things like naming rights on stadia are being handled collectively. They are trying to emulate MLS (albeit on a smaller scale) in a lot of ways, but that's the last thing some people want to hear.

Actually many leagues in the world do this, to say it is MLS oriented is not correct. Leagues the world over take control over large aspects of collective interests and there are details being seen that were unimaginable even a decade ago.

Examples of how leagues control details. For example, tv rights are being increasingly handled collectively in leagues, there are conditions placed on seating and ticketing across the board, and even on restrictions related to concessions (in Spain there is no alcohol sold in any sporting event on site); then there is a lot of work to create standards in financial behaviour, so that financial fair-play is being applied in individual leagues, not only in UEFa competitions. This is partially national governmental sports bodies, partially labour laws. Then, for example, there is a lot of work being done on tv image of stadiums, seat colours, ad colours even, the unification in major leagues is quite important. 

Maybe the one major exception is in fact shirt deals, as major leagues allow all teams to negotiate freely, as that competition between an Adidas and a Nike for two top rivals actually is more lucrative than a single-deal. For lesser leagues, shirt deals makes more sense (though I would argue that MLS would benefit from just allowing teams to negotiate their own deals with whoever, they'd compete with each other and teams would actually worry about marketability more..furthermore it is illogical for a Man City affiliate in MLS to not be able to use the same shirt maker). 

28 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’d like to see Endoh come here after reading that article in the Atlantic.  Endoh and Babouli.

The part about USL becoming it's own dead end due to the growing gap between USL and MLS (no pro/rel) while the latter is increasingly relying on foreign players in their quest to become a "world top league" will make CPL a better choice in North American footbal after Liga MX and MLS. Even foreigners are realizing what USL truly is. 

This article is talking about how the Argentina fallen economy is causing a fire sale for clubs who needs money to survive. We also know of players eager to leave Argentina.

Perhaps @CPLArgentina is on to something. I'm not claiming we can get the best talents but now's the perfect time to look at good young players in their system and try to get our hands on them.

Canada's economy and standards of living is really not to be underestimated in our ability to get good players. (And Universal healthcare...oh USL)

21 hours ago, KW519 said:

If the CPL is single entity it will fail, or be really poor quality imo. A massive part of football is spending money you want when you want to improve your squad, and keep fans satisfied. Single entity investors want to spend and pay players as little as possible, while generating a profit. 

It's a good thing cheap sports owners have never existed outside of a single-entity league!

6 hours ago, Ansem said:

The part about USL becoming it's own dead end due to the growing gap between USL and MLS (no pro/rel) while the latter is increasingly relying on foreign players in their quest to become a "world top league" will make CPL a better choice in North American footbal after Liga MX and MLS. Even foreigners are realizing what USL truly is. 

This article is talking about how the Argentina fallen economy is causing a fire sale for clubs who needs money to survive. We also know of players eager to leave Argentina.

Perhaps @CPLArgentina is on to something. I'm not claiming we can get the best talents but now's the perfect time to look at good young players in their system and try to get our hands on them.

Canada's economy and standards of living is really not to be underestimated in our ability to get good players. (And Universal healthcare...oh USL)

I’d imagine there are a lot of SA and CONCACAf players who are willing to take a pay cut to play in Canada and potentially have a means to have a better standard of living for their family 

On 12/30/2018 at 4:13 PM, Ansem said:

If you ask me, CPL surpassing USL player's conditions won't be that hard, if not right from year 1.

I think a few can right from year one, but I’m sure some might be the same , remember USL is a minor league like  hockey’s minor leagues like baseball minor  leagues , that story can be recounted in a lot of different sports minor leagues in North America . I think more or less that’s what the CPL will be like too for awhile  obviously if it grows things will change . But in the end it is what it is trying crawling before walking.

15 hours ago, ted said:

The league existed before any teams did. When ownership groups were approved, names, logos, and colours all went through the league offices for creation. The shirt deal is league-wide with a single supplier. The TV deal is being negotiated by the league and, although I have absolutely zero information, I believe the team shirt sponsors will be negotiated by the league.

What is incredible is how some people still think this is a problem more than two years after they announced they were going to do it this way, and after they have actually got this far. This structure has brought us to the brink of pro soccer on a national scale with a positive outlook for coast-to-coast football for years to come.

Why is this an issue?!?

This thread is about players in the CanPL and individual teams have been given the freedom to recruit players with a salary cap. What more do you want?

The fastest way to destroy this league in its infancy would be to have unlimited player budgets. This lesson has been learned the hard way over the last 50 years in North American soccer.

How about we simply do what normal fans do, and share rumours and hopes of what players might be signed!

But some people on here not all but a few seem to think Rome was built in a day lol, the league will do what it has to survive at first if that means teams car pooling to away games it will be done , the key is baby steps and survival and slowly growing , so we have a league to praise to criticize for many years to come.

2nd division Spain Reus has been in financial troubles all year, and players are successfully requesting to be released from the contracts.  In fact, as is, there are only 12 players from the first team roster left, they will play with subs from the B team, in 4th tier. They haven't paid wages and need a relatively small sum to save themselve, but the real question is: there are a dozen top quality players looking for short term playing solutions, and a smart CPL entity could step in.

One is actually the son of my wife's immediate superior, the keeper Edgar Badia. Who is very good.

Minimum wage in Spain 2nd is high for CPL purposes (over 120 grand Canadian), so only if you were thinking, as a player, for a stop-gap measure, or a break from BS of your career in Spain, would you think that a CPL summer season could be an option.

These are the kind of situations that a smart CPL club ownership should be onto, the same with when a player is dropped for some disciplinary story, or a club has released players for similar financial reasons, or conflicts not related to the player's quality.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

17 hours ago, ted said:

Why is this an issue?!?

I'm talking about the type of league CPL is and isn't, the points you made don't make it a single entity league like some mistakenly believe. It was brought up by someone else initially and was a response to that, although your correct, this thread is about players expected in CPL so I won't sidetrack it along with others anymore atm.

And WTF Ted, Happy new year :)

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:32 PM, Ansem said:

Room for thoughts about this exaggeration about the greatness of USL. This is the reality of that league. Read this...

*Available for free if you download the Atlantic App and search for that article.

The team emerges from a cramped dressing room post-game to a small table stocked with chicken wings and quesadillas. Most players can pick away at the food undisturbed. Besides the official team website, there is only one other reporter waiting to speak to the team: a man holding a large reusable grocery bag affectionately known in local soccer circles as “Rocket Robin.”

As the single light on the single video camera turns on, Kubel sneaks out on crutches after being injured in the first half. In his first season in the USL, not much has gone according to plan for Kubel.

Thanks for posting.  I made the big time but would have never read it as I don't subscribe to any pay-per-read apps.  

It was soon after that game that I heard the club 'streamlined their press coverage' to allow only one member of each media outlet (I was with Waking The Red at the time).   Wow that meant that James Grossi was the WTR rep.  He sent the audios to me by e-mail so I could include post game comments in my WTR articles.  Now instead of three reporters covering the games there were only two.   (The video camera was their in-house coverage).   

This season many games are Friday afternoons at 4pm at their Downsview training site.  Wonder how many journalists will be pushing their way in for comments?  

On 12/31/2018 at 1:53 AM, Ansem said:

Yeah...no

If they dont fuck it up, way less than that. Season 2 at the latest

Only if they have a broadcast deal or major sponsorship is it really possible for season 2. From what is known right now it's hard to see them there sooner.

19 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Just to break up the ongoing tangent and get back to players we expect to see in CanPL:

Check out @ValourpegBlog’s Tweet:

Sounds like this guy may have been more than just a rumour.

He'd be a biggish signing and the type of high profile signing I excepted in the early days (former fringe international currently playing D2). I'd be happy if I was a Valour fan. Curious if they get him as I'm seeing similar reports out of Mexico regarding him and Veracruz.

2 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I hope someone (I'm looking at you Pacific) is talking to Marcus Haber.  Still under 30.  

It depends on whether he is on a contract that goes beyond the summer. He probably isn’t on great money.

EDIT: and his contract is probably only for the season anyways

Edited by JamboAl

I hope someone signs Daniel Haber, since he isn't returning with the Fury. Seems like the kind of guy who could definitely use a restart in the CPL.

I thought he was quite effective when on the pitch in Ottawa, and was often frustrated to see Popovic use him as little as he did.

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

It depends on whether he is on a contract that goes beyond the summer. He probably isn’t on great money.

Contract up at the end of season, good news he wont be bushed from all the games and should be ready to go for a CPL club.  

59 minutes ago, Sébastien said:

I hope someone signs Daniel Haber, since he isn't returning with the Fury. Seems like the kind of guy who could definitely use a restart in the CPL.

I thought he was quite effective when on the pitch in Ottawa, and was often frustrated to see Popovic use him as little as he did.

He scored a bunch the years before with the monarchs and WC2.  Someone should give him a look.  

6 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Not likely an issue. He is not in demand!

"Striker Haber has not scored in 17 appearances for Falkirk and has been tipped to depart the club midway through a season-long loan, but will not make a return to Tayside."

https://amp.sportsmole.co.uk/football/dundee/transfer-talk/news/mcintyre-plans-january-clear-out-in-bid-to-prepare-dundee-for-survival-fight_345262.html

This is another example on how a team poorly spending / overspending doesn't translate into success on the pitch

Matteo Mancosu might sign with a Serie C team. He was earning $700K while Jackson-Hamel who posted better numbers than him earned 1/5 of that at $155K, but couldn't start to save his life and was benched or kept on a ridiculous short leash.

Maybe we should be glad that CPL might actually pay the true market value for Euro D2 - D3 guys and pass on guys wanting triple or quadruple what they are worth just because they want to "grace us with their presence in the twilight of their careers"??

I'm OK with CPL being conservative at first. I'd rather they spend less (Market value or less) than overspending (Above market value for players past their prime) and have mediocre play regardless.

Liking what I see so far, going young at market value or less. Players will have all the opportunities to play and prove they deserve more. The extra playing time might relaunch some of those guys careers and earn them opportunities in higher leagues.

*I won't generalize all of MLS as I'm aware that some teams makes smart signings and are very good at managing their rosters, but you have teams that overspends and/or make terrible signings like Montreal (to the admission of Joey Saputo himself). They had a base salary of about $7.6M ($12.3M) but man, they didn`t play like it, they looked like a team that was worth half of that or even less for most of the season.

CPL play should be to grow while making every penny counts as much as possible. At least if it gets to a point where the salary is $2M or $3M, they have to ensure that they look like it an play like it consistently and be competitive. TFC paid over $25M but we can all agree they weren`t nearly close to look like a team worth that salary.

Edited by Ansem