Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

22 minutes ago, matty said:

it's not the csa's job to build the team however it's herdman's ...

I doubt any boost to CanPL that way would ever get beyond a token Elvis Thomas sort of call up with one last place on a Gold Cup roster for a player that is unlikely to make it into any of the games. It would be crazy to suggest that there would ever be systematic discrimination against national team players based on what league they are playing in. Herdman still has a lot to prove to a lot of people and is always going to want to have the strongest possible roster at his disposal, because he is still only one subpar result away from a massive amount of second guessing and all around questioning of whether he is really qualified to be doing what he is doing.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

4 minutes ago, Keegan said:

No one is saying to dump talent playing in a good league, this whole conversation is hypothetical on him signing in USL.  If Edgar (or anyone) was a clear cut starter of course it would be stupid to drop them if they were in USL but no starters are going to be at USL or CPL level - these will be depth players and if the only real difference between options is CPL v USL (ie Thomas vs Ouimette) chances are good they go with the former. 

other than your point i don't think the chances are any better for one over the other at the current time (if both were in fact equal) and your point is kind of marginal (as it is the largest base of players).

20 minutes ago, Keegan said:

“A large amount of these players have already signed..” according to the user.

Some of those names are a lot more intriguing than others to be honest.  Like Nile Walwyn or that Barbadian kid.. if they were Canadian and playing at their respective levels they wouldn’t get a look.  So imo it’s counter intuitive to the goals of this league to be tracking players ineligible for Canada who would be a dime dozen of eligible for Canada.

Guys like Welshman, Sanon or Springer etc. Okay maybe.. the point is you should be good enough not just be added because you got a cap for a backwaters national team.

BC8B3C93-7B9A-4C05-9B66-E43B16A8B245.jpeg

I think we can add Louis Béland-Goyette and David Choinière to this list, although Choinière has been invited to the Impact training camp.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

...It's weird that clubs like Burnley and Spurs would be scouting a player who is (apparently) on the Santos U20 team...

It being Pele's old club is a bit of a red flag on it being some sort of agent driven scam, but the nagging doubt for me more than any other is why would you leave France to go to Brazil as a young player, if your stated goal is to reach the European big time? Something doesn't quite add up on that one.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It being Pele's old club is a bit of a red flag on it being some sort of agent driven scam, but the nagging doubt for me more than any other is why would you leave France to got to Brazil as a young player, if your stated goal is to reach the European big time? Something doesn't quite add up on that one.

Yup I smell something fishy as well

21 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's not open yet. The winter window for the USA and Canada is 13 February – 7 May.

https://www.fifatms.com/itms/worldwide-transfer-windows-calendar/

Can someone explain this to me? Based on the dates given it would be impossible to transfer a player from England, France, Germany, etc., to Canada or USA in the winter window. How does Davies get to Bayern in January if the Canadian window doesn't open until after the German one closes? Are these windows just for when players can enter the league? So Davies can leave in January, but players can't come in to Canadian teams until February 13th?

Just now, Kent said:

Can someone explain this to me? Based on the dates given it would be impossible to transfer a player from England, France, Germany, etc., to Canada or USA in the winter window...

It all revolves around being able to sign where a window is open, so there is no problem moving players into North America from elsewhere between these dates even if the window for the association they are moving out of is closed.

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I went to the Santos wiki page and there is no mention of him with the first team, nor do I see him out on loan, with the B team, or even with the sub 20 team. In the google results of his name and Santos, I see sub 20 mentioned, but it's Portuguese and for all I know they are just saying he trained with the sub 20's.

It's weird that clubs like Burnley and Spurs would be scouting a player who is (apparently) on the Santos U20 team. The reports all come within a few days of each other in June of 2018. 

Hmm......

Certainly odd vibes but his insta does seem legit.  

31 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I doubt any boost to CanPL that way would ever get beyond a token Elvis Thomas sort of call up with one last place on a Gold Cup roster for a player that is unlikely to make it into any of the games. It would be crazy to suggest that there would ever be systematic discrimination against national team players based on what league they are playing in. Herdman still has a lot to prove to a lot of people and is always going to want to have the strongest possible roster at his disposal, because he is still only one subpar result away from a massive amount of second guessing and all around questioning of whether he is really qualified to be doing what he is doing.

You act like this doesn’t happen around the world all the time and the CSA would never discriminate against players.  Associations like FIGC regularly favour their league and the CSA has been infamous for revolving calls around their domestic teams for the past 11 years. 

We can agree to disagree but odds are that CPL will be a factor in certain decisions.

Especially if you think of the optics here - they have more of a reason to favour a CPL over a USL player than ever.  Just look at the fiasco we’re going through... to call USL players over CPL guys when there is no noticeable difference between players would be a bad move for this league and not likely to affect our MNT anyway.  It’s just common sense really, if you’re trying to position your league as equal or better to USL you’re not going to kneecap yourself.

Edited by Keegan

What I would argue happens elsewhere is that being in your own domestic league can help your performances for your club to get noticed in some countries. It has always tended to help in a Scottish national team context relative to being at an obscure provincial club in England, for example.  If CanPL is only on webstreams with limited national media coverage because MLS is getting the lion's share of the attention that scenario isn't applicable.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

What I would argue happens elsewhere is that being in your own domestic league can help your performances for your club to get noticed in some countries. It has always tended to help in a Scottish national team context relative to being at an obscure provincial club in England, for example.  If CanPL is only on webstreams with limited national media coverage because MLS is getting the lion's share of the attention that scenario isn't applicable.

Scottish national team players on obscure provincial clubs in England?  Anyways, skipping over that why would CanPL being on web streams put it at a disadvantage to USL?  No one is arguing that MLS is a higher level - that's a given like saying EPL is superior to SPL.  

To be absolutely clear: a player starting in MLS obviously should get called over a CPL star 9/10 times, the argument is over CPL v USL and how unattractive a USL player may be for a call up with this new league.  Not because they are suddenly a worse player for playing in USL.. it's just politics, like calling someone playing for Celtic/Rangers over someone playing in the Championship.  

2 hours ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

Check out @Ryan_Brandt’s Tweet:

Makes sense for training purposes given the rumours of small roster size.  Some might even end up being emergency signings if teams have injury issues.

Probably will lean on their open tryout database for this. Good work CanPL.

13 hours ago, Keegan said:

Scottish national team players on obscure provincial clubs in England? ... it's just politics, like calling someone playing for Celtic/Rangers over someone playing in the Championship.  

Looks like you did understand the analogy after all although it's often also something like an in form Hearts player that Scottish people will see playing reasonably regularly in live coverage when Hearts play an Old Firm team or in Edinburgh derbies versus an in form Bristol City player who isn't really on the radar screen if you follow the sport mainly through the lens of Scottish media outlets.

You see it as politics, but it's also more about simply being in the limelight in a way that gets you noticed and makes the selection less controversial in the media coverage and social media that surrounds the team. Giovinco and the Italy team might also have been a good analogy to use. In that sort of regard, Ottawa USL players may be helped more than anything else in the absence of that sort of strong media focus on the CMNT and CanPL by the fact that the CSA HQ is in their city. Not sure where Herdman is based, but he'll no doubt be there quite a bit.

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

I really thought we'd be getting some player announcements this week. Why do they continue to withhold names and schedules?

some people are claiming it's marketing but the transfer window isn't open yet plus they still have to do trials. i'm sure it's some combo of that