Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

5 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Im not sure what kind of reach these rumours have but i do think its good for the overall awarness of the league. Every bit counts when it comes to legitimizing this league and Canadian soccer in general

Absolutely. Also, most leagues have far worse rumor mills, and they (zither runor mills) are often used by clubs and agents alike to test the waters. 

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Never in the history of a league has there ever existed a category of "Any old guy who may be interested in playing there". It does not exist as a working category. The reason is because it is so generic as to be useless. I have been reading the international sports press for decades, in at least 4 languages, and have never read an article with the headline: "Chilean Player Offers to Play in Austrian 2nd tier". It's laughable. And no Austrian would ever be dumb enough to say "it is an honour to be so considered."

I am also happy folks want to play here, but we know that already from those serious about it; hundreds signed up from around the world for our trials, paid their own costs, travel, lodging, and went to places they'd never been to before. Those guys have guts, show character, are willing to make a sacrifice, are admirable. I would pay 50 times more attention to them, or to someone with a proper agent contacting a club, than this cracker-jack version of finding a team. Don't you see encouraging it is actually amateur to the extreme?

I just expect people to be able to distinguish between serious, proven interest and frivolous interest. I mean: CPL is not even single entity, clubs sign players. 

Image result for jerry stiller dad meme

Austrian 2nd division exists since a while but CPL is new, so it's normal that a lot of players are willing to discover it. I read Footmercato everyday and it is something common to say that a player wants to play in Ligue 1, even if he doesnt have to level.

Bunbury said in his last interview that CPL is a single entity like MLS, was he wrong?

8 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Austrian 2nd division exists since a while but CPL is new, so it's normal that a lot of players are willing to discover it. I read Footmercato everyday and it is something common to say that a player wants to play in Ligue 1, even if he doesnt have to level.

Bunbury said in his last interview that CPL is a single entity like MLS, was he wrong?

CPL is not a ‘single entity’.

9 hours ago, mtlsab said:

Maybe I am overstating things. I just think it is totally irrelevant. We are spending more time on gratutious tweets than on these amazing guys we don't know who paid thousands out of pocket to appear in CPL trials. That is grossly imbalanced.

[I've actually looked up old Jerry Stiller clips these weeks after I made the connection with his son, who has put together an amazing series, Escape at Dannemora, and has done a better job directing it than I ever thought he could] 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Maybe I am overstating things. I just think it is totally irrelevant. We are spending more time on gratutious tweets than on these amazing guys we don't know who paid thousands out of pocket to appear in CPL trials. That is grossly imbalanced.

[I've actually looked up old Jerry Stiller clips these weeks after I made the connection with his son, who has put together an amazing series, Escape at Dannemora, and has done a better job directing it than I ever thought he could] 

My understanding of the trials is these players were mostly (with very few exceptions)  amateurs with little or no pro resume.  A few will be invited to training camps and a tiny number given contracts.  The idea was to find a few diamonds in the rough, drum up publicity, and also generate income. 

My understanding is trials players will not make up a significant percentage of the player pool.  Rather it will by USL, PDL, NCAA, USports, L1O, and PLSQ players as well as Canadian and non-Canadians from various lower level leagues abroad. 

So whether or not some of these rumours are frivolous it makes sense we are now paying attention to who these non-Canadians with pro resumes will be.  They will likely play a bigger role in CanPL than the handful of trialists who might make the cut.

There is a guy on Reddit claiming that former USL players have been offered as low as $10k and to have seen the contract in this context:

Doesn't necessarily contradict the info that most players will be somewhere in the $35-75k range, but shows why people need to be cautious when assuming that means 20 × $55 on a salary cap, because the weasel word involved is most.

[Edit: judging from easily accessed old Reddit posts and tweets, the Reddit user in question appears to have been involved with the launch of WSA Winnipeg]

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

43 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

There is a guy on Reddit claiming that former USL players have been offered as low as $10k and to have seen the contract in this context:

Doesn't necessarily contradict the info that most players will be somewhere in the $35-75k range, but shows why people need to be cautious when assuming that means 20 × $55 on a salary cap, because the weasel word involved is most.

[Edit: judging from easily accessed old Reddit posts and tweets, the Reddit user in question appears to have been involved with the launch of WSA Winnipeg]

Wrong thread. It's also been suggested multiple times that younger prospect players would earn a low salary. Kyle Bekker wouldn't sign for Forge if he was going to earn significantly less than he would at North Carolina after the season he just had.

21 minutes ago, KW519 said:

Wrong thread. It's also been suggested multiple times that younger prospect players would earn a low salary. Kyle Bekker wouldn't sign for Forge if he was going to earn significantly less than he would at North Carolina after the season he just had.

I agree he wouldn’t be offered 10-15k and I don’t buy that any established players are being offered that.. maybe some of York9 and FCE local signings but to say established guys are being offered that isn’t reality.  

Just to play devils advocate as it relates to Bekker: He has a business degree from Boston College and is from Oakville so Forge may have been wise and offered him a future business role.  I think all teams would be smart to look at things like this (where warranted). 

And of course, weasel words like ‘a lot’ and ‘some’ don’t count. 

It’s simple math. $750K salary cap means an average of $30-$35K per player. For every player that you pay $60K to you will need to pay one $10-$15K. For a player who has never played pro before like most U-Sports, PDL, L1O, or PLSQ players, unless they are lighting it up in their league, this is their chance as a prospect. Obviously that is not enough to live on long term, but then they are also prospects with no pro experience and who have been paid nothing before. Earn their place and the next contract gets bigger. I’m not saying this is the best way to do it but considering that these players currently have almost no pro prospects, $15K with a chance to try it as a pro is more than they had before. The larger salaries will be reserved for those with pro experience.

The 20 X $55K assertions are as baseless as the $500K salary cap assertions since we are comparing. 

I'm pretty sure i can find on this very thread a quote of someone saying BBTB is a C#nt.  Should I post a link to it and use it to further my an argument I am making?? What is the point of this??  Players are actually being signed, the league is starting in the spring, the endless debbie downer quoting shit you saw on a bathroom wall is sooo very tiresome.  Its not your personal job to tamp down the expectations of everyone who is thinking positively about the league.  

6 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

CPL is not a ‘single entity’.

Actually it is a single-entity. The League existed before the teams did. The League may allow the local teams a large degree of autonomy, but overall decisions are being made at the League offices.

9 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'm pretty sure i can find on this very thread a quote of someone saying BBTB is a C#nt.  Should I post a link to it and use it to further my an argument I am making?? What is the point of this??  Players are actually being signed, the league is starting in the spring, the endless debbie downer quoting shit you saw on a bathroom wall is sooo very tiresome.  Its not your personal job to tamp down the expectations of everyone who is thinking positively about the league.  

I'll save you from having to search....

BBTB is a cunt.

19 minutes ago, ted said:

Actually it is a single-entity. The League existed before the teams did. The League may allow the local teams a large degree of autonomy, but overall decisions are being made at the League offices.

By this logic that would mean there isn’t a non-single-entity league in the world.  When people say it’s not a single entity they are referring to the fact it’s not MLS where the league owns all clubs and salaries.  Even existing teams had to change their names and aren’t actually the same clubs I.e. Vancouver, Seattle, Minnesota, Montreal etc. 

I think the fact FC Edmonton transferred it’s name/brand over from another league is proof enough that this isn’t like that. 

Anyways, just looking at 2007 MLS salaries and TFC had 11/25 roster players on $36k or less, 7 of those 11 LESS THAN $20k .. some internationals and living in TORONTO.  I think CPL players are going to be fine... 

Edited by Keegan