Players you expect to see in the CPL

lazlo_80

Happy to hear Junior Kingue is linked to Forge - makes me more confident that it may be an under the radar signing.  It would actually make sense that a player trying to get into European competition might be tipped off that Bobby is a coach with a record for development. 

Since signing news is still slow after the holidays, I compiled a list of all the current player rumours:

Cavalry FC

• Moses Danto
  • Ali Musse

FC Edmonton

• Michael Cox
  • Mauro Eustáquio
  • Ali Musse
  • Brandon Onkony
  • Dylon Powley

Forge FC

• Tristan Borges
  • Giuliano Frano
  • Junior Kingue
  • Richie Laryea
  • Monti Mohsen
  • Roger Thompson

Halifax Wanderers FC

• Kouame Ouattara

Pacific FC

• Marcus Haber

Valour FC

• Moses Danto
  • Diego Gutiérrez
  • Fernando Meneses
  • Jordan Murrell
  • Ali Musse

York 9 FC

• Manny Aparicio
  • Cristian Cavallini
  • Joseph Di Chiara
  • Morey Doner
  • Zak Drake
  • Bruno Fornaroli
  • Darren O'Dea
  • Fabricio Ortiz
  • Justin Springer
  • Roger Thompson
  • Cristian Zaccardo

Linked to CPL move

• David Edgar
  • Raphael Garcia
  • Luca Gasparotto
  • AJ Gray
  • Chris Suta
Edited by Zem

3 minutes ago, voetbal.dave said:

What about some of the better performers from CSL and L1O?  If players being picked straight out of Canadian university teams and obscure leagues from around the world surely some of these guys can make the jump?

You do realise that League1 Ontario and CSL rosters consist largely of university players, right?

Regardless, they've already been doing that; Furlano, Ricci and Sacramento are all L1O players and there are plenty more rumoured to be signing in the CPL.

4 hours ago, Ansem said:

Of course he's interested. Seaford Rangers finished 7th in the SA State League 1 last year. That's 2 tiers below the A-League and is an amateur competition. SA is not considered one of the stronger states in Australia, in terms of the standard of it's state leagues. My guess is that SA State 1 is probably equivalent to State 2 or 3 in Victoria or NSW. If he's getting paid at all, right now, it'll probably a few bucks a game, which he's likely obliged to spend at the club's canteen. If this is the standard of player that CanPL is chasing, we're in a lot of trouble with regards to the long-term viability of the league.

11 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The CSL seems to be comprised of older eastern europeans. There are a couple of players with good CVs, like the Serbian twin CBs from Scarborough. I can't tell if the league is a total sham or if there are players worth looking at.

The one doesn't exclude the other IMO.  A total scam league could still have a few diamonds if you look well.

14 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

I mean, except that he's probably a much better player than that level suggests. He played NASL a few years ago. To me, players like this are the whole point of this league in the first few years. Build a decent standard of local pros and then focus on youth development.

A quick search on Wikipedia has him making 5 appearances over 2 full seasons with Carolina and FC Cincinnati, before playing a season in the Swedish 5th tier. If he was truly of professional standard, he'd be playing A-league or NPL in Australia. It's very easy for players to move between clubs in the Australian state leagues. If he was a stand-out player getting paid a pittance with a mid-table State 1 club, he could transfer to a better club, on more money, simply by submitting a transfer form and sitting out one round of fixtures. I doubt that State 1 in Adelaide is a better standard than VMSL Premier division.

23 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The CSL seems to be comprised of older eastern europeans. There are a couple of players with good CVs, like the Serbian twin CBs from Scarborough. I can't tell if the league is a total sham or if there are players worth looking at.

FC ukraine would bury half the teams in L1O 

Just now, mtlsab said:

With Marcus Haber joining CPL, do you think these three players could join also?

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/791483/dundee-boss-jim-mcintyre-tells-trio-of-players-that-they-are-free-to-leave-the-club/

Dundee boss Jim McIntyre tells trio of players that they are free to leave the club

by Neil Robertson
 December 26 2018, 9.00am
© SNSSNS-14496731-DUNDEE-V-PARTICK-THISTLE.jp
Sofien Moussa.
Dundee boss Jim McIntyre has told Sofien Moussa, Elton Ngwatala and Kharl Madianga that they are free to find other clubs.

The trio were all signed by Neil McCann and were initially given a chance to impress by the current manager but having failed to do so, they have been frozen out of the first-team picture in recent weeks.

Striker Moussa has only scored two goals in 13 appearances this season with both coming against League 2 Stirling Albion in the Betfred Cup on the opening day.

Ngwatala and Madianga were snapped up by McCann this summer with the former manager believing they had a big future at the club.

However, with McIntyre now looking to bolster his squad in the January window, he has confirmed that the three players are surplus to requirements.

He said: “We’ve told Moussa, Madianga and Ngwatala that if they can find themselves another club, then they’re free to go.

“Like any manager you have your own opinions on players and what you think is required. They’ve been told if they can get themselves fixed up then we’ll not stand in their way.”

While willing to confirm that three players had been told they could leave, McIntyre was understandably reluctant to divulge the identities of any potential January reinforcements.

However, having had adequate time to assess the squad already at Dens, he has a clear idea of what he needs: “Absolutely. We can talk about it but there’s nothing really to tell in terms of I don’t announce anything until it’s done.

“I do feel we need a bit more competition, that’s the biggest word I would use. There needs to be more competition for places.

“In turn that gets the best out of the players. To be honest, the team’s been kind of picking itself lately because I don’t feel there’s enough strength in depth to the squad.

“That’s something we’ve got to try and address. I’ll say it again, it’s not easy in this window.

“January is notoriously difficult to try and get what you want, so you might not be getting exactly what you want, but I do feel the squad needs a wee bit of freshness to it to help the good players already here.”

I wonder if current USL  players are looking at the CPL then same way the Fury did (i.e. wait and see).  Although players have that option available to them much more than clubs do, in theory.. 

Edited by JamboAl