Ballou Tabla

shermanator

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

Yeah how can we put a hex on him. We haven't made the hex in decades!

true...we're going to need a lot witches, voodoo priests, necromancers, black mass organizers and crowley types (none of whom can be canadian) to make this work

Edited by matty

Wow. They do rate him highly then. Crazy release clauses.

Real shame if he reaches his potential but not choosing Canada. What a difference that kind of talent could bring and statement it could make in the Canadian program.  Likely same old story that will just serve to repeat the cycle of youngsters thinking they should be looking elsewhere to advance their careers rather than being a positive change and a part of growing the canadian game.

Not easy choices for ballou either way and he clearly has genuine attachment to the ivory coast too. Hope he does well even if that's like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

It's all Canada's fault that these players aren't playing for Canada. Never had faith in them when they were younger. Guys like Tabla and Tomori should've been called up to the World Cup Qualifiers when they were 16. Outstanding talents that were overlooked and Canada instead selected absolute wastemans like Tosaint Ricketts and Dejan Jakovic and many others. Could they have rejected at that age?? Sure...do we know that they didn't reject but they didn't get asked...also a yes. What a shambles.

Edited by SCF08

2 minutes ago, SCF08 said:

It's all Canada's fault that these players aren't playing for Canada. Never had faith in them when they were younger. Guys like Tabla and Tomori should've been called up to the World Cup Qualifiers when they were 16. Outstanding talents that were overlooked and Canada instead selected absolute wastemans like Tosaint Ricketts and Dejan Jakovic and many others. Could they have rejected at that age?? Sure...do we know that they didn't reject but they didn't get asked...also a yes. What a shambles.

lol

Fuck guys, be happy for now. As of right now he has only represented CANADA, never once has he worn the IC shirt.

Right NOW we have in our hands a Barca player, the world knows him as a Canadian. I'm super excited for him, and for Canada. This group of supporters has been burned so many times it automatically resorts to worst case scenario judas type shit. Relax, save the depressing talk and see how things unfold.

We have 2026, that means something. HAHA lets be proud of our Canadian boy off to the big leagues!

First, true what is being said, all press in Spain is referring to him being Canadian and playing for our youth sides, only saying he was born in IC. So that is positive for our image, for what it is worth.

The contract is three years plus two optional. Those optional years, are, of course, only applicable if BOTH sides agree to them being exercised. 

Spain has a very specific system of buyout clauses that is not found in most other countries. It started years ago, in the 80s, when courts ruled players could break contracts and that a court could decide on the compensation to the former club. To avoid this, these clauses were added, all contracts must have them, they must be public, and they involve any other club (actually, technically, the player) simply depositing the money with La Liga, who then pay the club.

Since 2016 a buyout sum is tax free I believe, while a transfer payment is not.

Those buyout numbers may seem high, but they might also correspond to what he is being paid. Or to what Barça feels is their investment in signing him and developing him these next few years. 

I don't know his salary, only that minimum salary in Spanish 2nd div is just under 80,000 euros a year. Now I know that Barça does not spend a lot on its B team players, that contracts are actually low since so many players are still teens. I would imagine that it is is full of performance clauses, games paid, goals, Barça B staying in 2nd division, first team appearances, in League, in Cup, etc. I seriously doubt he is making a base salary that is that high, since they are not going to pay him more than more prestigious players on Barça B. A guess: 2-3 hundred thousand euros tops.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

So I know we're sad because Ballou will now officially never represent us, but Duane Rollins made a good point on his twitter account and I was thinking the same thing, we did it.

Technicially Ballou is the best prospect we've produced, he was just sold to Barca of all teams, one of the best Academies around. Davies will soon be sold to a big European Club aswell, the point is that these are 2 high end prospects that we developed with what ? 4 pro academies ? 5 ? It gives hope for the next generation and with the CPL on the Horizon the dream is very much real for those who are dreaming, it sucks to lose Ballou and Akinola and Tomori but we developed 3 top prospects.. with basically no infrastructure. We will lose more duals, and it will take a while to really have something, but we can actually produce these guys, that's what's most important.

edit Talba, Davies and Akinola are the guys we developed

Edited by Dominic94

2 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

So I know we're sad because Ballou will now officially never represent us, but Duane Rollins made a good point on his twitter account and I was thinking the same thing, we did it.

Technicially Ballou is the best prospect we've produced, he was just sold to Barca of all teams, one of the best Academies around. Davies will soon be sold to a big European Club aswell, the point is that these are 2 high end prospects that we developed with what ? 4 pro academies ? 5 ? It gives hope for the next generation and with the CPL on the Horizon the dream is very much real for those who are dreaming, it sucks to lose Ballou and Akinola and Tomori but we developed 3 top prospects.. with basically no infrastructure. We will lose more duals, and it will take a while to really have something, but we can actually produce these guys, that's what's most important.

He lost me when he says Tomori. He was not developed here

2 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

He grew up in England, played a few games for us and he was gone. The likelihood of him staying with our program was slim to nil.

Agreed but it was our team that actually gave him the exposure to England... terrible luck but inevitable.

2 hours ago, David C. said:

I just hope that Tabla remembers and appreciates that it was his time in Canada that give him the opportunity that he got from Barca.

Imagine you were plugging away playing for Canada on shitty pitches in the Carribean with no clear pathway for making it big, but genuinely felt you had the talent. Next thing you know your idol comes along, validates you, tells you he can help you and maybe puts you in touch with other important people. Now you've been scouted by all the big teams in Europe because this one person put in a good word and now you're being bought by Barcelona. Now imagine you don't have much life experience besides a passion for soccer and wanting to make a World Cup and move forward with your career.

Now I ask, as an 18 year old - would you really be able to have the perspective to see things logically and weight the factors properly when all these emotions and identities are involved? Likely not. There's a reason we don't trust 18 year old's to do all that much properly!

The worst part is that this is the reality we will continue to have to contend with for the near future and there's no magical elixir to prevent it from happening again. All we can do is try to develop and keep as many good ones as we can and move the program forward. Eventually when we make a WC or two, it may provide a better pathway that will keep players playing for Canada.

...To that day.