Doneil Henry

Coramoor

51 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The fact that he signed with an EPL club  means that some people who know a whole lot about footy saw some qualities suggesting he could be an elite player.

It was a worthwhile move by the club.  Lots of potential, probably not too expensive a signing in relative terms, and maybe Big Sam got a bung out of it via Cyprus, who knows?  But all kidding aside, I hope he gets the injury problems solved so he can fulfill that promise.  As jonovision says, based upon this Gold Cup and the other evaluations, he definitely could be in the mix if he gets healthy and playing regularly again

Edited by BearcatSA

People often have this reaction. I haven't seen this player play in a long time, therefor he is much worse than he used to be. It doesn't seem to matter if it's due to injuries, switching to a lower visibility league, or even that they were always in a lower visibility league but it's been a while since they played for a youth national team or something.

4 minutes ago, Kent said:

People often have this reaction. I haven't seen this player play in a long time, therefor he is much worse than he used to be. It doesn't seem to matter if it's due to injuries, switching to a lower visibility league, or even that they were always in a lower visibility league but it's been a while since they played for a youth national team or something.

The interesting thing is that he is still immersed in a pro footy culture.  As much as watching footy on TV is not enough to make you a good player, it does help you evolve your understanding of the game.  Shitty fitness levels aside, in some ways I am a better player now than I was at 25.  Late bloomer to be sure, but you do develop a greater understanding of the game as time goes on. 

For Henry, the immersion in a pro environment could still be growing some of those skills that assist in  game-reading/understanding - and interestingly it is those skills that often help a defender get better.  Not saying he is in any way better off, but it is possible that the last 3 years haven't been a complete write off.  If nothing else, West Ham would want to ensure some growth to help protect their investment - even if just to sell him to someone else.

Doneil has too much upside still to be written off of the CMNT at this time.  Not too mention many of us feel that CB is our worst position. Floro thought enough of him to play him at RB (which most of us could have told him that was disaster waiting to happen) but keep him in the middle of the pitch with Vitoria beside him when Doneil is healthy and he can definitely play for this squad.  He is 24 years old and still has lots to give.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, matty said:

Not shocked by that. I think most fans would be bummed out that. Should be a decent move for him as long as he doesn't break his leg.

This is a great move. If he can get some great playing time and show his skills , it will open up options for next year. Also Hull could win the champions league and get back to EPL.

2 hours ago, shermanator said:

Any move where Henry can actually stay healthy for 6 weeks and get regular minutes is one he needs to consider.

Yeah maybe Championship is even too high at this point. He didn't last long in Denmark which is nowhere as physical as the Championship. Could have been bad luck, wish the kid could just stay healthy and play for year. 

22 minutes ago, shamrock said:

Yeah maybe Championship is even too high at this point. He didn't last long in Denmark which is nowhere as physical as the Championship. Could have been bad luck, wish the kid could just stay healthy and play for year. 

I don't think he went down with an ACL injury due to the physicality of the league. ACL injuries are more likely done just by a player pivoting on the knee than actual contact. 

One of the most common knee injuries comes from shooting/kicking the ball not warmed up.  Putting too much power into dead ball kicks ect...

We see the twisting as the primary cause and it certainly can be, however it often isn't.  It may be from something done earlier.

I can't remember where the study was, I think Italian third division that split the all the teams into two groups controlling how they warmed up.  Subsequent data crunching showed that the knee injuries were tied to warm ups both in a causal nature itself (ie shooting not warmed up) and how the type of warm up affected the player in the game.

Several cruciate injuries are about timing:  just the right amount of torque with the ligament at just the right angle and POP!  Vikings' QB Teddy Bridgewater simply pivoted and his knee gave out during a non-contact drill.  It was that easy.  And I have seen incredible hyperextensions that resulted in an MCL sprain and no other damage.

I wish Doneil good luck on the comeback trail!

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Several cruciate injuries are about timing:  just the right amount of torque with the ligament at just the right angle and POP!  Vikings' QB Teddy Bridgewater simply pivoted and his knee gave out during a non-contact drill.  It was that easy.  And I have seen incredible hyperextensions that resulted in an MCL sprain and no other damage.

I wish Doneil good luck on the comeback trail!

Right, but what the study implied was that there is more to it and you are sort of confirming that.   Given it was spread out over ten teams on each side, you could surmise they had a similiar number of injury potential events over the course of a seasdon.  But one side of the fence reduced knee injuries across ten teams by 40%.    It was a significant number.

However, how do you distinguish between doing things that lead to an injury vs doing things that help prevent one.