Olivier Occean

17 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There are two streams of thought on this board:

1)Focus only on Qatar 2022 and call only young players

2)Focus on rankings and the Gold Cup this summer and call only your best players.

I am in Category 2. I think Occean may be able to help us at the Gold Cup and may be a better option than Haber. No I don't think he'll be what we need in 2021, but 2017 is still important.

The man has been frozen out of the program for over 4 years now. No short sentence. I want someone to ask why Findlay should or shouldn't call him and I don't want a bullshit pussyfooting Floro-style answer.

For the Gold Cup I would call up these guy, a mix of young player and some older:

Keepers:
- Borjan: He is our best keeper at the moment.
- Leutwiler: I liked what I was from the 2nd haft against Korea and he could push Borjan for the 1st spot.
- 3rd Keeper: I would call either Crépeau, Thomas or Andreas Vaikla, if he make his one-time switch.

Defenders:
- de Jong (LB): He is not the best defender (i.e. the goal agaisnt Ghana), but he give some good support offensively and he's a treat on free kick.
- Adekugbe (LB): We don't have a lot of option at left back and he may be our future starting left back. 
- Edgar (CB/CM): He's a good center back and he can play defensive or central midfielder if needed.
- Mallan Roberts: He's still 24 and I would like too see what he can do in big games. I could see one of the U-20 take that spot, like Meilleur-Giguère or Kosovar Sadiki.
- James: He is young, very good and make few mistakes. I think he's our best CB at the moment. 
- Vitória: James and him work well together
- Aird: We have less option at right back than at left back, but I think Aird is a good option. 
- 2nd RB: I would call one of these guy: Zebie, Edwards, Godinho or Chung. 

Midfielders:
- Hoilett (LW/AM): He's our best one v. one player and he creates a lot of occasion.
- Petrasso (LW): He is a good young player and he can create good scroring occasion.
- Arfield (CM/RW): He is a starter for a PL team, he can play central or right midfielder.
- Osorio (CM/AM): Just to troll Floro. Seriously, he's a good midfielder and we could use him as a good sub.
- Hutchinson (CM): He is our best midfielder and would be nice if he can finish his CMNT career on a high.
- Johnson (CM): He is not as good as he use too, but he still a good midfielder. I could see a U-20 instead like Shamit Shome or Josh Doughty (Cap-tie him).
- Chapman (CM/AM): He was good this year with TFC. If he continues to progress and show good performances, he must be in the Gold Cup squad.
- Ricketts (RW/FW): The guy will always give is 110% and he showed what he can do this years with TFC. He is our top scorer still playing for CMNT.
- Tabla (RW): Cap-tie the kid!

Forwards:
- Larin: He's our best forward, but he still need to be push and need some support. 
- Akindele: I would call an experienced striker to push Larin and can be use as a super sub, someone like Occéan or Jackson, but I think Akindele would be a better option, he is still young and can play on the wings if needed. 
- 3rd forward: I would call either Jackson-Hamel or Hamilton

Ugghhhh. Please keep him far away from the national team. Not sure what the fascination is but we've seen what he could do for Canada for the past twelve years and spoiler alert it's not all that spectacular. If couldn't a call-up/wasn't considered during World Cup Qualifying and the last Gold Cup with our juggernaut attack then really at 35 its time to turn the page.

10 hours ago, 1Knight said:

Ugghhhh. Please keep him far away from the national team. Not sure what the fascination is but we've seen what he could do for Canada for the past twelve years and spoiler alert it's not all that spectacular. If couldn't a call-up/wasn't considered during World Cup Qualifying and the last Gold Cup with our juggernaut attack then really at 35 its time to turn the page.

When you have a forward pool of about 6 players getting minutes anywhere you really can't turn the page on any of them. Especially those socirng goals in top flight leagues and European qualifiers.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

• 4 months later...
34 minutes ago, nolando said:

Looks like he is in the running to still be a starter again at club level come April 2 : 

http://www.varden.no/sport/odds-nykommer-lar-seg-ikke-stresse-av-at-malene-uteblir-1.1734265

He scored 11 goals last year in 28 league games so that is not surprising. Not selecting Occean was in my opinion the biggest mistake of the Floro era. He would have provided both competition for Larin and an alternative both as a starter or off the bench when we needed a goal in El Salvador for example. With Larin shooting blanks Occean could have provided a much stronger alternative to the other strikers that we used. Whether it was Floro's decision to not select him or the CSA told him not to is still unclear.

On 11/16/2016 at 9:49 AM, Dr.Dre said:

For the Gold Cup I would call up these guy, a mix of young player and some older:

Keepers:
- Borjan: He is our best keeper at the moment.
- Leutwiler: I liked what I was from the 2nd haft against Korea and he could push Borjan for the 1st spot.
- 3rd Keeper: I would call either Crépeau, Thomas or Andreas Vaikla, if he make his one-time switch.

Defenders:
- de Jong (LB): He is not the best defender (i.e. the goal agaisnt Ghana), but he give some good support offensively and he's a treat on free kick.
- Adekugbe (LB): We don't have a lot of option at left back and he may be our future starting left back. 
- Edgar (CB/CM): He's a good center back and he can play defensive or central midfielder if needed.
- Mallan Roberts: He's still 24 and I would like too see what he can do in big games. I could see one of the U-20 take that spot, like Meilleur-Giguère or Kosovar Sadiki.
- James: He is young, very good and make few mistakes. I think he's our best CB at the moment. 
- Vitória: James and him work well together
- Aird: We have less option at right back than at left back, but I think Aird is a good option. 

Midfielders:
- Hoilett (LW/AM): He's our best one v. one player and he creates a lot of occasion.
- Petrasso (LW): He is a good young player and he can create good scroring occasion.
- Arfield (CM/RW): He is a starter for a PL team, he can play central or right midfielder.
- Osorio (CM/AM): Just to troll Floro. Seriously, he's a good midfielder and we could use him as a good sub.
- Hutchinson (CM): He is our best midfielder and would be nice if he can finish his CMNT career on a high.
- Johnson (CM): He is not as good as he use too, but he still a good midfielder. I could see a U-20 instead like Shamit Shome or Josh Doughty (Cap-tie him).
- Chapman (CM/AM): He was good this year with TFC. If he continues to progress and show good performances, he must be in the Gold Cup squad.
- Ricketts (RW/FW): The guy will always give is 110% and he showed what he can do this years with TFC. He is our top scorer still playing for CMNT.

Forwards:
- Larin: He's our best forward, but he still need to be push and need some support. 
- Akindele: I would call an experienced striker to push Larin and can be use as a super sub, someone like Occéan or Jackson, but I think Akindele would be a better option, he is still young and can play on the wings if needed. 

Guessing you did this right off the top of your head? 

Re: RB - how can you leave Ledgerwood off this squad?

Re: Edgar - he's injured. Period.

Re: 3rd forward - HAS to be Jordan Hamilton. Period.

Re: Adekugbe - yes, he is the future of LB if he can get a game! If he returns to Whitecaps and sits on the bench, unless they guarantee him the 1st team spot in 2018 he has to get the hell out of there. He's a big talent. I think he would thrive in the Mexican league.

On 11/16/2016 at 10:49 AM, Dr.Dre said:

Defenders:

Midfielders:

Forwards:

Adekugbe < Tissot: I think the back up LB spot right now is Tissot's to lose. We are still a few months away so anything can happen, but it's hard to see Zambrano selecting Adekugbe. He hasn't played much in England and Tissot did well against Scotland. When the Gold Cup starts Tissot will be 25 and Adekugbe will be 22. Neither is really a "young" player anymore, so I wouldn't pick Adekugbe over Tissot just because he's a few years younger.

Roberts < Straith: Mallan Roberts would have to take the USL by storm at Richmond AND get called into DC United to stand any chance of taking a spot from Straith. He was solid against Scotland and will probably be a standout with FC Edmonton this season. Going back to age again, Straith is just 2 years older but has 40 more caps than Mallan does.

Aird the Wingback < Aird the Winger: Not much to say here except watch his most recent showing against Scotland.

Tabla: Players must earn a call, even if it's just to cap tie. He's done well to get minutes so far in MLS but hasn't shown why we should bring him in at all costs. Davies on the other hand.... FWIW, I think the next friendly being in Montreal would be a great chance to have a look at Tabla.

Hamilton < Jackson-Hamel < Haber: He's has scored 6 times in 19 games this season. So yeah...

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Tabla: Players must earn a call, even if it's just to cap tie. He's done well to get minutes so far in MLS but hasn't shown why we should bring him in at all costs. Davies on the other hand.... FWIW, I think the next friendly being in Montreal would be a great chance to have a look at Tabla.

This.

I get just as paranoid as the next guy when it comes to leaving young guys with options uncapped, but I am seriously tired of constantly calling up young guys based on potential.

Our players need to start earning their call ups.

I'd rather take a 30 year old NASL player that starts every game over a young guy with "potential" who sometimes subs into a game in 5th tier Spain

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, badname22 said:

Do you guys think he should be involved in the Gold Cup or even start( a longshot I know but maybe in a 4-4-2)?

I think he should have been involved in our recent World Cup qualifying campaign. I think in the upcoming Gold Cup we need to give our younger strikers that we will need in the future a chance.

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/27/2017 at 4:19 AM, nolando said:

Looks like he is in the running to still be a starter again at club level come April 2 : 

http://www.varden.no/sport/odds-nykommer-lar-seg-ikke-stresse-av-at-malene-uteblir-1.1734265

After not being in the lineup two weeks ago he has been a sub for the past two games.

Got the winning goal a week ago in the 76th for Odds after coming on in the 61st. http://www.espnfc.com/match?gameId=470223

Came on at halftime today and got an assist on the first of two Odds goals. http://www.espn.co.uk/football/match?gameId=470218 The second goal was from a corner where he was being marked very well which left another player open. http://www.odd.no/nyheter/odd-klatret-opp-til-2.plass

So we have Larin, Haber, Ricketts and Occean who are all doing alright it would seem a month before our friendly against Curaçao.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

49 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

After not being in the lineup two weeks ago he has been a sub for the past two games.

Got the winning goal a week ago in the 76th for Odds after coming on in the 61st. http://www.espnfc.com/match?gameId=470223

Came on at halftime today and got an assist on the first of two Odds goals. http://www.espn.co.uk/football/match?gameId=470218 The second goal was from a corner where he was being marked very well which left another player open. http://www.odd.no/nyheter/odd-klatret-opp-til-2.plass

So we have Larin, Haber, Ricketts and Occean who are all doing alright it would seem a month before our friendly against Curaçao.

Jackson-Hamel isn't doing too bad either ;)

On 5/13/2017 at 8:11 PM, Big_M said:

Slowly becoming a sub as his career winds down but still producing. Hopefully won't be called as there are many better options and who will all still be there after the gold cup.

Yeah, I think his time may have come to an end for us.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/28/2017 at 2:22 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

His time with Odd is at an end:

http://www.nettavisen.no/sport/fotball/odd-slo-rosenborg-i-occeans-avskjedskamp/3423393034.html

The article has this quote: "Jeg tror jeg kan fortsette ett år til, sa kanadieren."

So he may play elsewhere for one more year before retirement.

If he retires, I hope he sticks around and helps out with the PLSQ. 

On 12/2/2017 at 10:32 PM, yothat said:

ocean should come to the retirement league mls

I don't know if MLS is comparable to the Norwegian top flight, but I am certain that Occéan could impart at least some knowledge to Anthony Jackson-Hamel. Perhaps the Impact could give him a look as a replacement for Mancosu (at a reduced salary)? 

It could be a terrible decision, but the Impact have usually managed to make over-the-hill strikers work in their system.