Olivier Occean

On 9/23/2019 at 5:09 PM, Shway said:

Give me a quick refresher of who they were/where they were playing at the time of their age? 

Radz was playing in the Belgian top flight from 2008 to 2012 with Lierse. He scored 39 goals in 86 games and was aged 33 to 37.

Can't track down how much he was scoring at the end of that stint, when we were starting WCQ 2014, but it was probably comparable to Occean's 6 goals in 18 games....

Similarly, in 2000, Holger Osieck refused to call in Alex Bunbury, who was by this time in the twilight of his career but still scoring goals for Kansas City in MLS.  Bunbury was only 33 or 34 at the time, but same idea. 

We went with Pesch and Corazzin up top, who scored zero goals between them in WCQ.

This was also when Radz was in his prime and was refusing call ups.

You almost had me Brennan, Bunbury is my fav CDN player of all time, but he was about to retire in 2000 and Pesch/Corrazin were no slouches.  I believe they were both in 2nd or 3rd level in England and scoring bunches there.  Its amazing that Ocean, pushing 40 is still competing at that level, but he left the program under a cloud and who knows if he even would want to come back? Whereas some guys (Hutch,Stateri,Deguz etc) even at the end of their caerr were good guys to have on the bench for leadership and mentoring.  Now if Ocean was a CB and still starting in Norway it would be a different story ie Vittoria.    

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Similarly, in 2000, Holger Osieck refused to call in Alex Bunbury, who was by this time in the twilight of his career but still scoring goals for Kansas City in MLS.  Bunbury was only 33 or 34 at the time, but same idea. 

We went with Pesch and Corazzin up top, who scored zero goals between them in WCQ.

This was also when Radz was in his prime and was refusing call ups.

That must have been his late-Anderlecht days / early-Everton days.

I know he was scoring a ton of goals at that time, especially at Anderlecht (50ish in 70ish).

However, in this Golden Period (too early to say that?), perhaps a 26 year old Tomasz Radzinski would have been fighting for a starting spot with Davies, David, Junior and Cavallini, instead of turning down call ups....

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

That must have been his late-Anderlecht days / early-Everton days.

I know he was scoring a ton of goals at that time, especially at Anderlecht (50ish in 70ish).

However, in this Golden Period (too early to say that?), perhaps a 26 year old Tomasz Radzinski would have been fighting for a starting spot with Davies, David, Junior and Cavallini, instead of turning down call ups....

26-year-old Radzinski is the best non-GK Canada has ever produced.

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Buchta said:

He is finished with Mjøndalen IF but apparently not finished playing soccer.yet.  Seems like he could go to the Norweigan 2nd tier.

https://www.sporten.com/olivier-occean-ferdig-i-mjondalen-men-trolig-ikke-med-fotball/

Six goals and a couple of helpers at age 38 in the top tier. Pretty impressive this late in his career.

• 4 months later...