Olivier Occean

Former Canadian international Olivier Occean on scoring tear in Norway but still searching for call-up

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/08/12/former-canadian-international-olivier-occean-scoring-tear-norway-still-searc

“It fits me, being the lone striker up top,” says Occéan. “It’s the type of football I was missing the last few years. A bit more freedom as a lone striker.”

That’s the same system preferred by current Canada manager Benito Floro. So, after the national team slumped to a goalless performance at this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup and with crucial World Cup qualifiers coming up, it would seem like a great time to call up an in-form striker who’s playing in a similar setup.

But Occean – who has six goals in 28 all-time appearances for Canada – says he has not had any contact with Floro, who took over the national team reins in August 2013.

“He never got in touch with me,” says Occean. “But I’m still open to play for the national team.”

“They’re the ones deciding my fate,” he says. “I’m just a soccer player trying to do the best on the football field. Of course, if they want me, I will gladly play for the national team.”

........ How the hell has floro never once contacted occean. What the heck are we paying him for. Where is the due diligance? How can he be ignored given our scoring situation

Edited by king1010

Former Canadian international Olivier Occean on scoring tear in Norway but still searching for call-uphttp://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/08/12/former-canadian-international-olivier-occean-scoring-tear-norway-still-searc

“It fits me, being the lone striker up top,” says Occéan. “It’s the type of football I was missing the last few years. A bit more freedom as a lone striker.”

That’s the same system preferred by current Canada manager Benito Floro. So, after the national team slumped to a goalless performance at this summer’s CONCACAF Gold Cup and with crucial World Cup qualifiers coming up, it would seem like a great time to call up an in-form striker who’s playing in a similar setup.

But Occean – who has six goals in 28 all-time appearances for Canada – says he has not had any contact with Floro, who took over the national team reins in August 2013.

“He never got in touch with me,” says Occean. “But I’m still open to play for the national team.”

“They’re the ones deciding my fate,” he says. “I’m just a soccer player trying to do the best on the football field. Of course, if they want me, I will gladly play for the national team.”

........ How the hell has floro never once contacted occean. What the heck are we paying him for. Where is the due diligance? How can he be ignored given our scoring situation

Floro is making the same mistake Hart did in 2011 when he did not call OO for the GC despite his great numbers in B3. Then Hart had to call OO when dominated B2 with Furth. Hart lost a big opportunity to introduce OO amd Floro is doing the same now.

Even if Floro calls OO, we will have lost a lot of precious games where we could´ve used him and get him to work into the system.

It´s a complete farce that Floro hasn t at leadt talk to him. What has Occean done to Floro to be ignored like that?

From google translate....

Occean trampled over - for the first time in his career

Olivier stepped over after eight minutes. He will await to Thursday before he dares to predict anything about the days on the sidelines .

http://touch.varden.no/sport/occean-trakket-over-for-forste-gang-i-karrieren-1.1439277?ref=0xd9e8d064cd281fedeed43aabd3ac2d4bfc9f4c7da6104e5c110ebd945d3c2307

Wow. That's pretty bad on Floro's part.

For squizz, outside of the pre-camp conference calls, practices and games, is Floro, his staff or anyone from the CSA ever made available to the media?

I had a one-on-one chat with him last year, but generally the only time we hear from him is on conference calls, post-match conferences, etc.

This is an ongoing theme with the national team over the years I can go back to Branko Segota who was our best striker by far, however, during the 86 World Cup found it hard to make the starting 11. If I remember correctly it was either Domenic Mobilio or Eddy Berdusco but I think it might of been Berdusco who at I think at the age of 20 years old was one of the leading scorers in the CSL the real CSL of the late 80's early 90's  and was left off one of the youth teams U20 or Olympic teamsU23 in favor of forwards who were not even starting in the CSL or better still or Tommy Kousmanis a very good striker being played left back on one of the youth national teams instead of forward where he was more than capable. It's decisions like this and there are many more but I just can't remember  them all of just very curious decisions throughout the years with national team coaches and more than capable players. We just don.t have an abundance of talent to play these little games with players that are willing to play for Canada, we need all the help we can get and when players are on form they need to play.

I think Occean should earn a call up to the Belize qualifiers based on his current form. That being said, I would be surprised if he started. I think he gets in at least one 15-20 minute appearance as a sub, with Haber getting the other sub appearance. Two reasons behind my line of thinking:

First, he doesn't have a good deal of familiarity with the current squad having been out of the picture for the last 3 years. Has never played with Teibert, Osorio and Akindele, limited experience with Ricketts, and 3 years away from linking up with Hutchinson orJohnson.

Second, he has not shown any better quality than Larin to date on the international scene in thrice the number of contests; he has arguably one goal against a country that is not a minnow, and that was over 10 years ago (I'm not sure how highly Iceland was ranked in 2007, and I would put St. Lucia, St. Kitts and Cuba at minnow status).

Based on the most recent article, I wouldn't be surprised if he was not called up. I might be a little disappointed if that were the case, but I cannot imagine the impact would be all that severe.

^^ i can imagine the impact being severe in the group stage if we have to solely rely on Larin. Against belize we can manage.

Id be upset with our coach for not calling up Occean though. Hes one of our most in form players and deserves to be there over others.

Also while occean hasnt played with hutch or johnson in a few years, neither have feautured for us in a long time either. Larin or akindele havent played with johnson anre rarely with hutch.

I hope johnson actually accepts the call this time.

Edited by king1010

If Floro chooses to play a 4-4-2 it makes sense to start Occean. I think he prefers a lone striker though.

The group stage will be a massive disappointment with or without Occean. Unless Curacao knocks off El Salvador I see us winning at max, 2 games, and I think that's being generous. 

One thing to consider is that MLS is playing through the international break in September.

Orlando's going to be fighting for a playoff spot. Floro can compel the club to release Larin, sure, but are they gonna let their top scorer go without raising a stink?

Point is, that could mean an opportunity opening up for Occean.

p.s. Let's pray Orlando doesn't actually make the playoffs, since those will potentially overlap with the first two games of the semifinal round.

Speaking of orlando and international call ups. Kaka was called up for brazil for their september friendly and will miss the sept 5th game against new england.

Not sure what that means for larin. Do they let him go without raising a stink given wcq is more important than the friendly brazil is playing in. Or does the MLS double standard comtinue and they try to "work out a deal" with floro to keep larin and allow him to play olympic qualies. Orlando has an 8 day break durin olympic qualies.

Edited by king1010

One thing to consider is that MLS is playing through the international break in September.

Orlando's going to be fighting for a playoff spot. Floro can compel the club to release Larin, sure, but are they gonna let their top scorer go without raising a stink?

Point is, that could mean an opportunity opening up for Occean.

p.s. Let's pray Orlando doesn't actually make the playoffs, since those will potentially overlap with the first two games of the semifinal round.

Larin is playing for us, period.  There is no chance Orlando could hold him back.  It would have to be at the request of Orlando to Larin personally and there is no chance they are going to do that to a 20 year old kid.. especially with Mark Watson having influence there.  It would have to be Larin's choice (i.e. Hainault in 2011) to stay with Orlando and I can't see that happening.

I keep seeing the 4-4-2 tossed around too, like sure it looks great on paper but it would be foolish to switch to that formation, we don't have the right players.  Larin and Occean on the field together would be a disaster in the semis.  We need to clog that midfield with a combo of Piette, JDG, Hutch, Johnson and let our quick wingers supply one of our in-form strikers to finish (Larin, Occean).  Simple as.

Larin didn't receive service in the Gold Cup.. if we can start getting him the ball in dangerous spots we will score.  Let's not forget our strength:  DEFENSE.  We have been tremendous in keeping the ball out of the net.. are we really going to give up our main strength in the hopes of a goal and start losing matches 2-0 instead of drawing 0-0?  Putting 2 players up top isn't going to help us put the ball in the net... just put the damn ball in, even with one striker we got chances EVERY game.. just bury it.

Edited by Keegan

Larin is playing for us, period.  There is no chance Orlando could hold him back.  It would have to be at the request of Orlando to Larin personally and there is no chance they are going to do that to a 20 year old kid.. especially with Mark Watson having influence there.  It would have to be Larin's choice (i.e. Hainault in 2011) to stay with Orlando and I can't see that happening.

I keep seeing the 4-4-2 tossed around too, like sure it looks great on paper but it would be foolish to switch to that formation, we don't have the right players.  Larin and Occean on the field together would be a disaster in the semis.  We need to clog that midfield with a combo of Piette, JDG, Hutch, Johnson and let our quick wingers supply one of our in-form strikers to finish (Larin, Occean).  Simple as.

Larin didn't receive service in the Gold Cup.. if we can start getting him the ball in dangerous spots we will score.  Let's not forget our strength:  DEFENSE.  We have been tremendous in keeping the ball out of the net.. are we really going to give up our main strength in the hopes of a goal and start losing matches 2-0 instead of drawing 0-0?  Putting 2 players up top isn't going to help us put the ball in the net... just put the damn ball in, even with one striker we got chances EVERY game.. just bury it.

1 win and 1 loss is better than 2 draws. I would rather run the 4-4-2, score some goals and take some chances. Also don't even play piette in midfield. I hated him during the gold cup.

1 win and 1 loss is better than 2 draws. I would rather run the 4-4-2, score some goals and take some chances. Also don't even play piette in midfield. I hated him during the gold cup.

doubt the 4-4-2 happens. Occean said himself he likes and is best in a lone striker position. and floro never plays 2 strikers.

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2015/08/12/former-canadian-international-olivier-occean-scoring-tear-norway-still-searc

Edited by king1010