Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

6 minutes ago, Big_M said:

at this point hes doing very little full training..just playing games then going into recovery to be able to play next game..the international window is an extra and needed period for him to recover..and every day that goes by it gets more diffcult for him physically

This is true, but the rest time between league matches is typically anywhere from 6-8 days, depending on how the schedule goes. 

If he just plays the Bermuda match and goes back to Turkey, he's still looking at a 10 day break, plus international travel. 

6-8 days is just the time he seems to need between matches, it doesn't mean its enough for him to feel "fully" recovered, just enough for him to be able to perform the next gameday. Who's not say he isn't looking forward to having a bit more than a 10 day break to get his body to heal beyond that? None of us are 38 year old professional athletes to assume otherwise.  And totally... an 11+ hour flight, followed by a match, and soon followed by another 11+ hour flight is totally ideal for a guy actively trying to keep his body in one piece. Possible? Sure. Likely? Not really. 

Edited by LeoH037

21 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

6-8 days is just the time he seems to need between matches, it doesn't mean its enough for him to feel "fully" recovered, just enough for him to be able to perform the next gameday. Who's not say he isn't looking forward to having a bit more than a 10 day break to get his body to heal beyond that? None of us are 38 year old professional athletes to assume otherwise.  And totally... an 11+ hour flight, followed by a match, and soon followed by another 11+ hour flight is totally ideal for a guy actively trying to keep his body in one piece. Possible? Sure. Likely? Not really. 

I can live with that.

10 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Also 2.5 years ago.  That matters.  

Why? Is he less likely to score 2.5 years later? His form this season at Besiktas suggests otherwise..

18 minutes ago, Alex said:

Remember he did go to St Kitts in November 2018. A match that was of slightly lesser importance. 

Exactly.

And all the reasons for him not to show up applied back then too. Besiktas are fighting for the league? Check. Atiba needs the time to recover due to his age? Check. Are both of those factors more applicable today than 2.5 years ago? Sure. Is the game against Bermuda more important than the game against St. Kitts? Yes.

I get people aren't going to see it that way, and fair enough. We're all entitled to our opinions and nobody knows at the end of the day. That's what makes the speculation fun. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Exactly.

And all the reasons for him not to show up applied back then too. Besiktas are fighting for the league? Check. Atiba needs the time to recover due to his age? Check. Are both of those factors more applicable today than 2.5 years ago? Sure. Is the game against Bermuda more important than the game against St. Kitts? Yes.

I get people aren't going to see it that way, and fair enough. We're all entitled to our opinions and nobody knows at the end of the day. That's what makes the speculation fun. 

You hit the nail on the head here. Everything people are saying now was exactly what they said back then. We didn’t know he would play until 38 back then. Most of us probably thought he wouldn’t play in St Kitts at 35, but here we are. I don’t want to get all Hollywood here but every athlete dreams of playing at the pinnacle of their sport. He has a shot at it and he has nothing to lose or save himself for once June comes around. 

34 minutes ago, costarg said:

Since we all know its coming, I'm gonna say it now..... The next person that claims or assumes Hutch has retired from Intl football should automatically get banned and banished from this board.  I've seriously had it with the lunacy and lack of respect towards our greatest.  He's retired when he says he's retired.

Even though I agree with your take on Hutchinson, nobody should be banned for expressing their opinion. This isn't twitter.

58 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The vexing thing is that between now and April 11th, he has no other travel to do. Beşiktaş only have home matches or "away" games to other teams in Istanbul.  :(

Good research!  From experience, the traffic in Istanbul can be so bad that an away game in another city might be quicker to get to Basaksehir from Besiktas.

On 3/4/2021 at 1:17 AM, JamboAl said:

Good research!  From experience, the traffic in Istanbul can be so bad that an away game in another city might be quicker to get to Basaksehir from Besiktas.

Good one. Still, both clubs are on the European side of the strait, Besiktas near the water and Basaksehir just inland leaving the city. If you had to cross the Bosphorus it'd be different. 

I am still thinking of that video of Atiba showing he has not learnt Turkish. A club legend, with everything in his favour to continue with the club after retiring, but he does not have the language to work on a day-to-day basis off the field.

56 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Good one. Still, both clubs are on the European side of the strait, Besiktas near the water and Basaksehir just inland leaving the city. If you had to cross the Bosphorus it'd be different. 

I am still thinking of that video of Atiba showing he has not learnt Turkish. A club legend, with everything in his favour to continue with the club after retiring, but he does not have the language to work on a day-to-day basis off the field.

I believe that all of the Istanbul clubs in the Super Lig are not just on the European side of the city, but all in the areas north of the Bosphorus and east of the Golden Horn, with the sole exception of Fenerbahce, which is on the Asian side of the city.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I found it surprisingly easy to cross the Bosphorus - one evening went from my hotel in Besiktas to the stadium at Fenerbahce via the local ferry and it was a wonderful crossing with the lights of Istanbul and its bridges all around.  But I could only assume how chaotic it would be for a local derby with crowds.

Turkish is a really hard language for foreigners to learn is the impression I got over there.  There are so many non-Turks in the league that I think many times the language of communications is often English.  I wonder if someone like Muslera, the Uruguayan keeper for Galatasaray speaks the language.  He’s been there longer than Atiba.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I found it surprisingly easy to cross the Bosphorus - one evening went from my hotel in Besiktas to the stadium at Fenerbahce via the local ferry and it was a wonderful crossing with the lights of Istanbul and its bridges all around.  But I could only assume how chaotic it would be for a local derby with crowds.

Turkish is a really hard language for foreigners to learn is the impression I got over there.  There are so many non-Turks in the league that I think many times the language of communications is often English.  I wonder if someone like Muslera, the Uruguayan keeper for Galatasaray speaks the language.  He’s been there longer than Atiba.

Without question, ferries are the best mode of transport in Istanbul.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:52 PM, dyslexic nam said:

For the record, I never said he was retired.  I said I don’t think we see him in this window.  

I wasn't targeting your comment, you made total sense.  I was refering the the dudes a few pages back that keep on claiming he's officially done with CANMNT, and that he's too old to contribute.  

On 3/2/2021 at 9:23 PM, Obinna said:

Even though I agree with your take on Hutchinson, nobody should be banned for expressing their opinion. This isn't twitter.

You're right, i get it.  I just can't digest the lack of respect and ignorance it takes to claim Hutch (and Arfield) is retired from CANMNT or has nothing left to contribute to the cause.

17 minutes ago, costarg said:

You're right, i get it.  I just can't digest the lack of respect and ignorance it takes to claim Hutch (and Arfield) is retired from CANMNT or has nothing left to contribute to the cause.

In fairness, I don’t recall anyone claiming that Hutch (or Arfield) have nothing left to contribute.  

I think he pretty clearly won't be involved in March. If he is fit I fully expect him to bow out at the Gold Cup and maybe be involved in the June fixtures. 

From what Herdman said in the Wheeler interview both he and Arfield will be picking moments that they can be the most impactful while also be able to balance their own body, recover needs and other external factors/goals like family and club commitments. I have no problem with that. They are obviously both committed, huge assets to have in any squad and contribute in many ways off an on the pitch. They are just boxing clever as they should to maximize what they have left in their careers.