Atiba Hutchinson

Obinna

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Because he is an effective player. He's had very few bad games for Canada and he's played a lot of games, so he's experienced. He is dependable. You know what you're going to get with him. He plays a sort of game that is under-appreciated, but the coaches and players will appreciate it, probably a lot more than the fans. As fans it is easier to gravitate to the sexy players, such as Eustaquio. I do it myself, I just love his technique and the way he plays the game. So while I would chose Stephen over Piette if we had to play a game tomorrow, I can see why coaches and players would talk about Piette as a starter. He has been there and done that at the age of just 25. 

Eh, I just disagree. I think there's too big of a talent gap for him to even be considered.

3 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Eh, I just disagree. I think there's too big of a talent gap for him to even be considered.

Fair enough. I tend to prefer Eustaquio to Piette myself. You asked why the hell players and coaches are talking about Piette as a starter, I was just giving you an answer. 

When I saw your post I thought of Ian Hume's comment the other day on One Soccer. Something about wanting Piette in his team.

Like I said I prefer Eustaquio, but I respect Hume's opinion, and even though I don't agree with it I can see the merit in it.

Edited by Obinna

52 minutes ago, Kent said:

I’m sure a big part of why people are holding on to Piette is that we haven’t really seen Eustaquio with Canada yet. Just a few minutes in garbage time in a game we all mostly pretend didn’t exist.

I think most people understand he is not a starter when we have all of our best players but he will start some games because we will not always have our best team available.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Seriously, age is just a number.  Goal and assist in a 3-2 win.  Anyone questioning his longevity is crazy.

That's two thirds of the way to a Gordie How hat-trick. Gordie played until age 52. I wonder if Atiba can hang on long enough to play with one or more of his own sons. I believe his oldest is now 5.

In all seriousness Atiba looks like he can play until at least 40.

I am still amazed that at age 37 he had the legs to sprint the entire length of the field like that. Then to have the composure to find Larin after such a sprint, that was incredible. His pace even at this age is very impressive. He is without a doubt a Besiktas and Canadian football legend. 

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

In all seriousness Atiba looks like he can play until at least 40.

I am still amazed that at age 37 he had the legs to sprint the entire length of the field like that. Then to have the composure to find Larin after such a sprint, that was incredible. His pace even at this age is very impressive. He is without a doubt a Besiktas and Canadian football legend. 

I remember being linked with him when Bilic came over from Besiktas  to manage West Ham.  Atiba was well over 30 then and it seems forever ago.

Instead we got Gohkan Tore on loan.  I know who I would rather have taken.  

On 11/23/2020 at 11:40 AM, BigMo said:

What a player. Was also great to see how well known (and loved) he is in Turkey.

When I was last there, I had multiple exchanges, where his name came up after mentioning I was Canadian. 

That’s the way I got to break bread (actually döner and a Coca Cola) with Besiktas supporters after the match.  Funny how useful a Voyageurs cap can be.