Scott Arfield

Interesting that report expects him to be a DP. 

I would of thought teams could grab him for TAM money.

Should he sign as a DP, I would expect him to be on TAM-like money, perhaps somewhere between $750,000 and $1,500,000.

If he is coming now is probably the right time.

He's 30 this year and is an occasional starter with a mid-table EPL side. He can probably earn more starts with a weaker EPL side and is unlikely to get a move to a better side than Burnley. That's where he is at.

As for MLS, he wouldn't want to wait much longer. It is a physical league that's also improving talent wise at a rapid pace. Arfield is a decent footballer with a great engine but once age sets in his value will go down, so the sooner he can come to MLS the better.

18 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Looks like he is getting 1.7mil USD a year in Burnley.  Will Vancouver open up the purse strings to match that??  I hope he stays in europe.  However, at 29 with a new CDN passport and 1.7mil in his pocket he might enjoy being in Van for his last 3-4 years.

I think 1.7 mil USD is almost overpaying for him in MLS terms. He's a great role player in a great league, but clubs generally don't pay that money in MLS for high level role players.

For that money, for a midfielder, they expect production. I doubt Arfield is a double digit goal scorer in MLS, perhaps he gets between 5-9 goals.

I love Arfield but furthermore, I don't think he can dominate a game in MLS on a regular basis like Michael Bradley can.

So if you don't expect him to regularly control a game and he doesn't put up big numbers, why pay big money?

I think if he gets +2 mil USD expectations are going to be too unrealistic for what he can provide. Julian de Guzman style.

Edited by Obinna

Scott Arfield dropped in to the Caps side would make them best team in the West in my opinion. Playing the same advanced midfield role similar to what he does for Canada is exactly what we need. Great news is the Caps wouldn't need to over pay him like tfc does for their dps. He has openly expressed the desire to move to Vancouver in the past. 

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think 1.7 mil USD is almost overpaying for him in MLS terms. He's a great role player in a great league, but clubs generally don't pay that money in MLS for high level role players.

For that money, for a midfielder, they expect production. I doubt Arfield is a double digit goal scorer in MLS, perhaps he gets between 5-9 goals.

I love Arfield but furthermore, I don't think he can dominate a game in MLS on a regular basis like Michael Bradley can.

So if you don't expect him to regularly control a game and he doesn't put up big numbers, why pay big money?

I think if he gets +2 mil USD expectations are going to be too unrealistic for what he can provide. Julian de Guzman style.

He is only a role player because he is in the premier league. The guy is the controller of the whole Canadian national team’s offense.... I am sure he can do that easily in the MLS. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I think 1.7 mil USD is almost overpaying for him in MLS terms. He's a great role player in a great league, but clubs generally don't pay that money in MLS for high level role players...

MLS teams aren't as good as Premiership ones, so it's what a player could do for a team in MLS that matters on whether it's worth spending the money. JDG was overpaid for what he had to offer as a holding midfielder. Arfield has more to his game going forward than JDG did.

Seems some of you would rather Arfield on the bench in EPL instead of being an essential starting 11 player in a competitive league like the MLS? Being he's such an important player for our NT, I'd much rather have him play as much as possible. At his age, he could start declining more rapidly if he doesnt play regularly at a high level.

Edited by Shakmur

14 minutes ago, Shakmur said:

Seems some of you would rather Arfield on the bench in EPL instead of being an essential starting 11 player in a competitive league like the MLS? Being he's such an important player for our NT, I'd much rather have him play as much as possible. At his age, he could start declining more rapidly if he doesnt play regularly at a high level.

Who said anything about sitting on the bench?

2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Scott Arfield dropped in to the Caps side would make them best team in the West in my opinion. Playing the same advanced midfield role similar to what he does for Canada is exactly what we need. Great news is the Caps wouldn't need to over pay him like tfc does for their dps. He has openly expressed the desire to move to Vancouver in the past. 

I don't think he'd displace Reyna as a lone advanced midfielder, but I think he would be a great no.8 for Vancouver.

He only plays in that advanced role for Canada because we are seriously lacking a no.10 of sufficient quality.

It is a band aid solution for us and could be for Vancouver is Reyna is unavailable, but all things being equal I think he's better suited as a no.8 or a winger, just like at Burnley. 

2 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

MLS teams aren't as good as Premiership ones, so it's what a player could do for a team in MLS that matters on whether it's worth spending the money. JDG was overpaid for what he had to offer as a holding midfielder. Arfield has more to his game going forward than JDG did.

I agree he has more to his game going forward than JDG had, but MLS is also tougher now than it was in Julian's day, so I don't expect Arfield to come in and put up big numbers.

For what Arfield could do for Vancouver, I think they could find someone who could make a similar impact for less than 1.7 million.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

He is only a role player because he is in the premier league. The guy is the controller of the whole Canadian national team’s offense.... I am sure he can do that easily in the MLS. 

I do not share this optimism but I would love for it to be so. Sadly I do not see that happening in today's MLS. 

5 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Hoilett, Hutch and Arfield are all out of contract at the end of June, imagine if they all landed at the same Premier League team? :o

With all of the extra money MLS teams seem to have to splash around lately, i would not be surprised to see one or more of those names to get a nice contract in MLS. 

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Hoilett, Hutch and Arfield are all out of contract at the end of June, imagine if they all landed at the same Premier League team? :o

Also, if Huddersfield don't get relegated, he might move back there for one year; he actually lives there I think and commutes to Burnley.

I don't see them playing together at the club level unless they all decide to join TFC which is their prefer MLS club to join.  

I get the attraction of having them play for the home team, but I hope all of these guys stay in Europe and push as hard as they can as long as they are in the picture for the Nat team.  No swan song victory laps while they can be playing games in the EPL (or fighting for promotion to it) or in the latter stages of the Champions League.  

15 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Of frigging course. 

They guy is coming on to 200 appearances for Burnley, he has helped put them where they are, has started more than half their matches. Reports from the January window spoke of interest from West Ham, Palace, Brighton, and Rangers, all knowing he was out of contract and had apparently refused an extension. 

I figure Vancouver is just one of many offers, and his agent is saying the same to all of them: match the current deal at Burnley or better, for 3 years or better 4. 

I personally think he would be worth it for us, and agree it would notably improve the Whitecaps.

Kind of like the idea of him going to Rangers if he is going to go outside the EPL. I know the SPL is a lower level than MLS but Rangers is still a relatively big club and it would be cool to have one of our guys on one side of the old firm. Plus I think he'd be a big player in Scotland and probably help make Rangers an actual threat to Celtic again. I have a soft spot for the SPL and it would be really good for the whole league if Rangers could get back to where they were and start succeeding in Europe. SPL needs more CL spots to get the money flowing back into the league and raise the level.