Scott Arfield

If they don’t call him after that comment, Herdman needs to explain himself. 

hutch is hurt and 39

Oso is hurt and when he comes back he’s gonna be rusty plus is he one hit away from getting hurt again ?

Kaye is playing like dog shit 

Kone - is a 20 year old MLS first season - star in the making

Arfield said he’a good for call - well make the call ! We need a #8

Edited by SpecialK

Okay so this is my read: Scotty wants to come back.

He said a couple important things. When he said certain things "stay in house" indicates that there was/likely was some sort of friction with himself and Herdman.

He says the cliche happy to about decision etc, but then drops "never say never in football". He did not have to say that.

And finally, just showing up for this interview at all. You know he knows he was going to be asked about returning. And he didn't 100% shoot it down.

Scotty wants back in, Herdman lets goo!

1 hour ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Okay so this is my read: Scotty wants to come back.

He said a couple important things. When he said certain things "stay in house" indicates that there was/likely was some sort of friction with himself and Herdman.

He says the cliche happy to about decision etc, but then drops "never say never in football". He did not have to say that.

And finally, just showing up for this interview at all. You know he knows he was going to be asked about returning. And he didn't 100% shoot it down.

Scotty wants back in, Herdman lets goo!

I really hope you're right. 

Regardless if he hasn’t played with the team, he’s a pro football that has play against the best in football. He’s played in the premier league. Arfield can learn the system quick no issue there . Kaye has been horrible. I am taking Arfield over Kaye. Kaye is a huge risk with stupid mistakes plus he’s not discipline. Canada has already Richie who is basically the Canadian Joe Pesci. 

We could have Oso, Atiba and Kaye going into the Japan friendly with no competitive games for well over a month... Arfield on the other hand will be playing regularly.  Not saying he should start games, but I would love to see him as a sub option in the WC.

But Herdman's comments today about being loyal to players, and guys who have gone to places where others may not have wanted to go, etc.. sort of puts cold water on that.

I hope the right decision gets made...

Unless, of course, Herdman is mostly looking at Qatar as a learning experience in preparation for the next World Cup. Which is to say, he'd rather blood young Kone than bring in Arfield.  Mind you, this argument kinda falls apart when you know that Atiba will not be at the next World Cup, and who knows about Oso and Kaye.  

If Atiba or Oso are not available, or two marginal, I'd call up Arfield. Kone looked solid today, but Arfield's experience will be huge for this team.

2 hours ago, Club Linesman said:

My gut.  If Hutch and Oso are healthy then no Arfield.  Herdman won’t even pick up the phone.  If Hutch is back playing but Oso is out, I think Arfield is called back.  If Oso is back, but with no game time, and Hutch isn’t fully recovered, again Arfield will be called.  

If we go on playing form, Arfield is likely better than Kaye at the moment. I think that a healthy Arfield brings more to the table. Kaye was pretty invisible today - yes, that is not necessarily a bad thing, but . . . .

1 minute ago, Stoppage Time said:

The next question is about Wotherspoon. Does he supplant anybody on the roster if he becomes match fit?

I don’t think he’ll be ready. I love Wotherspoon, he brings alot plus can play multiple positions 

Edited by SpecialK

On 9/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, Razcal said:

He doesn't want to take part in qualifying but does want to play in the world cup?

How shocking!!!

Pass... he dipped out on the team, thanks for your service, enjoy watching from Scotland.

I feel like we could really use him still.  But I also understand and somewhat agree with this sentiment.  You don't get to choose to rep the shirt just out of convenience or when you prefer to

1 hour ago, ImYourKeeper said:

I feel like we could really use him still.  But I also understand and somewhat agree with this sentiment.  You don't get to choose to rep the shirt just out of convenience or when you prefer to

We definitely could use him.

We could have used him during qualifying.

I just struggle seeing him included ahead of guys who put their all into this qualifying campaign to get us here.

On 9/23/2022 at 6:19 PM, SpecialK said:

If they don’t call him after that comment, Herdman needs to explain himself. 

Why does Herdman need to explain himself and not Arfield?  It was Arfield's choice to not play for three years and it was his choice to retire. I'm fine with his choices. I hold no grudges. he had tough decisions to take.

But You make it sound like accepting him back is an addition without any subtraction. I can tell you one player that will most likely not be happy with the decision: Hoilett. And then there are the other players that think like Hoilett or agree with him. Let's say it's just one or two other players.

You're taking back this player who has refused to come and play for the team the last three years. He didn't decline one or two or three windows. He refused for one reason or another every window in those three years. I have doubts calling him in will sit well with many of the players.

So who do you cut in midfield to make room for him. Eustaquio, Hutch, Kaye, Piette, Osorio, Wotherspoon or Kone. Eustaquio? I don't think so. Hutch will be wearing the colors in Qatar even if he's in a wheel chair. Of the remaining five the only ones you can cut without having any repercussions are an injured Osorio, a not in form Wotherspoon or Kone. If Osorio is healthy and Wotherspoon is in form, that leaves only Kone.  So you cut the kid but you still have six midfielders and you'll need to cut one of them to make room for a player that is willing to come now because it's the World Cup. As I said before I have doubts that will sit well with many of the players - especially if they know that Arfield was called but declined for three years.

One of this team's strengths is the team harmony. I don't think Herdman wants to piss that away.