Edited by jpg75

57 minutes ago, jpg75 said:

3-4-1-2

---------Cavallini--------Larin----------

---------------------Hoilett-------------------

LWB??---Arfield--Johnson---RWB??

------Vitoria-----Jakovic-----James-----

Something like that....

Airfield and Johnson are similar players a bit redundant having them  play in the middle like that, maybe put Johnson wide, insert an Osorio or someone similar to Osorio.

Edited by 1996

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Airfield and Johnson are similar players a bit redundant having them  play in the middle like that, maybe put Johnson wide, insert an Osorio or someone similar to Osorio.

If anything, Johnson would stay in the middle in his actual position and Arfield play his actual position outwide

1 hour ago, 1996 said:

Does not bother me to have 2 similar box-to-box mids in front of a back 3. If Osorio was in one of those spots we'd be a bit soft.

2 hours ago, jpg75 said:

3-4-1-2

Something like that....

3-4-1-2

Edwards ---Arfield--Johnson---Aird 

Something like that....

or a 3-4-2-1????

-----------------Larin---------------------

---------Hoilett--------Arfield-------------

Edwards --Bernier--Johnson--Aird 

--------------------Borjan-------------------

or a 4-4-3???

Hoilett----------Larin---------Aird

-----------------Arfield-------------

---------Bernier------Johnson---

De Jong-- Jakovic-James-Cordova

------------------Borjan-----------------

Edited by DannyFromToronto23

14 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I dunno, maybe Larin and Cavallini being on the pitch together doesn't really work "on paper", but in friendlies and for the love of god just to change it up, can't we try it at least once? Who knows, they might have amazing chemistry and go on to wreak CONCACAF defenses everywhere!!! >:)

Trying to play defensively hasn't really worked for us and arguably, we're weakest at the back. I'm fine with going balls out and playing attacking football. (I don't know about wreaking havoc lol).

I guess it depends on the kind of service guys like Arfield and Aird can provide and if our midfield can enough keep possession without Atiba the Hutch. 

Still, I can't remember the last goal we scored at this tournament so I'd be willing to try just about anything up front right now.

43 minutes ago, badname22 said:

They are interchangeable but I see your point 

No they arent. You don't see Ronaldo playing on the right wing or Cuadrado playing on the left. Lm and Rm are entirely different positions

26 minutes ago, canta15 said:

No they arent. You don't see Ronaldo playing on the right wing or Cuadrado playing on the left. Lm and Rm are entirely different positions

that's a completely different situation. Both Davies and Hoilett  have played a relative amount  of games on both sides whereas, Cuadrado and Ronaldo haven't played on the opposite side in years. I agree that that LM and RM are different positions but Hoilett and Davies have preformed well on both sides 

On 6/9/2017 at 9:11 AM, Obinna said:

I am fine with playing a 442 diamond. We'd want our wingers to pinch in and our full backs to overlap and judging by all the wingbacks called I won't be surprised if this is what we go with. Hoilett and Davies playing as inverted wingers might lend itself to narrow play (i.e. helping the CM's) and players like Edwards and Cordova can attack the space out wide.

This is how the US has been playing lately under Bruce Arena. I only saw part of the game last night, but Nagbe and Fabian Johnson I believe were playing as inverted wingers and Yedlin and Villafana were wingbacks. Bradley was the CDM and Pulisic (who is unreal) was the CAM. 

Question is, who would play that role for us? If you listen to the Osorio interview, he hints at possibly playing a more "free" role, but doesn't want to give anything away. You could also play Arfield there, but I don't think he'll give us enough creativity and his reliability on the ball is needed to build the play up from the back. CDM would also be a mystery. I don't trust Johnson on the ball enough as a lone CDM. I'd trust Arfield but I think it would also be a waste to play him so far back. I think we could use two box-to-box types who alternate and Arfield-Johnson would be great, even Arfield-Piette looked good against Scotland. They were not overwhelmed by any means. 

I think I've already answered your question about who I think would play what role. But in my 442 it's the narrow version, not the wide version so there are no wingers inverted or otherwise. The full backs would provide the width. But here's what I was thinking:

Larin-Cava 

Hoilett (CAM)

Arfield - Johnson

Piette (CDM)

Adekugbe - James - Vitoria - Cordova

Borjan

Of course different options at these positions are developing. Edwards at LWB, Aird at RWB, Osorio, Chapman, David Edgar when fit...

Jackson off the bench, Davies off the bench...

I think this formation plays to our current strengths, and 1 sub this can become a formation using wide players if needed.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:22 AM, harrycoyster said:

Are we really going to say we can do it because Leicester City and Atletico Madrid can? It's a very different situation with very different players. We don't have CMs with enough range to pull it off. When you leave the CDM deep in the diamond, you risk isolating the attack from defense and vacating the middle of the field. The 442 diamond also requires dangerously complex rotations for a national team.

I don't see what's wrong with a defensive 433. 

People on this thread love jumping to conclusions. 

Bro you have to read the whole thing. Someone mentioned 442 can't compete in MF against top teams. Leicester etc prove 442 can compete against top teams in the midfield. 

I suggest 442 narrow diamond because I believe it plays to our strengths IMO, not because of what any other team does.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:53 AM, dyslexic nam said:

You argue against the formation because of our player pool ("don't have CMs with enough range to pull it off") but that kind of argument goes both ways.  With two strong (ie starting-11 quality) strikers in our our player pool, doesn't it make sense to find a formation that accommodates both rather than playing one of them out of position?

Exactly. 

Some might argue we have 3 strong strikers now as Jackson is showing he is the real thing (at least at MLS level), we have Ricketts who can be a wide or central speed merchant sub, plus we have Hoilett who can provide a different option, Akindele who won ROTY in MLS (although mostly as a RW), plus we have Alphonso Davies (who I believe long term is going to be a striker not a winger - unless his passing improves dramatically). We also have Jordan Hamilton coming through who I think once he leaves TFC will develop into a star unless TFC moves Altidore on and gives him more game time.

On 6/9/2017 at 0:04 PM, harrycoyster said:

Saying "we have two quality strikers, let's start both" completely disregards what Larin is good at. To properly utilize our best striker we need wingers, and our defense isn't good enough to play the USMNT-style diamond that allows the wide midfielders to get forward. They have Bradley, Brooks, and Cameron and still only use the formation against weaker opponents because of how defensively unstable it is. 90% of Larin's goals are off of crosses; that has to be the game plan. Let Cavallini play on the wing or be a 60' sub.

wing backs like Cordova, Aird, Edwards, Adekugbe would all get forward enough to provide consistent crossing options. But your point is not lost - Larin does need service from wide. However, think about the space a guy like Cava would create for him. The opposition can focus on Larin if they wish but based on Cava's record in SA he will punish them if they focus too much on Larin. They would balance their marking, and one of these two would be on the end of chances or create their own.

Edited by ThiKu

On 6/9/2017 at 4:47 PM, jpg75 said:

3-4-1-2

Something like that....

I am a fan of 5 ATB formations - but I don't think our 3 CB's are mobile enough for this formation, nor would they have the right CDM in front of them.

41 minutes ago, badname22 said:

that's a completely different situation. Both Davies and Hoilett  have played a relative amount  of games on both sides whereas, Cuadrado and Ronaldo haven't played on the opposite side in years. I agree that that LM and RM are different positions but Hoilett and Davies have preformed well on both sides 

Hoilett and Davies have played a majority of their minutes on the left and right this year respectively and have performed better in their prefered positions. Keep them there 

22 minutes ago, ThiKu said:

wing backs like Cordova, Aird, Edwards, Adekugbe would all get forward enough to provide consistent crossing options. But your point is not lost - Larin does need service from wide. However, think about the space a guy like Cava would create for him. The opposition can focus on Larin if they wish but based on Cava's record in SA he will punish them if they focus too much on Larin. They would balance their marking, and one of these two would be on the end of chances or create their own.

Sorry, I don't have the faith in the defensive abilities of our CBs or wingbacks for me to consider it viable. I'm pretty sure Edwards is the only one of those players with experience at wingback, and he is very attack minded. Larin doesn't really need space. Half of the goals he has scored in MLS this season have been him out-muscling a defender.

I'd rather just line up in a formation that has true wingers, four at the back, and a 6&8 to compensate for our CBs. 

4 hours ago, badname22 said:

I'd personally like to see this lineup http://lineupbuilder.com/?sk=tx9m9

I like this line up quite a bite, but I still don't feel anyone's done enough to displace De Jong, despite his drop in form. Also, if Will doesn't see the pitch as a midfielder, I would still start him over Cordova or anyone else at RB, for now anyways, because he's demonstrated he can play there, and it might not be his best position, but he's also one of our most accomplished players and no one else who can play RB has demonstrated they can perform at his level, even when he's out of position.

But I definitely like all of the rest of your selections and think and think the formation suits our player pool well.