CONCACAF U17 qualifying: Guatemala Feb 2023 ( + preparation & news )

16 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Given that I've seen the friendly matches with Costa Rica and Mexico... I think they will struggle with the bigger opponents.  Team just didn't look comfortable being put under pressure in midfield and the attacking options couldn't help to alleviate that.  SHOULD make it out of the group as 2nd place, but even that set's us up for a match with 3rd place of group H which could be any of Honduras, Haiti or El Salvador which won't be easy.  Can't afford to finish 3rd and have to face Mexico in the Quarter's.

Would we compete more with some of the missing players ?

Most notably the one who played for Red Bull ?

how much of it related to Olivieri being the coach ?

Edited by Dominic94

On 1/24/2023 at 1:47 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

T & T have Toronto FC's Quinton Wilson on their preliminary squad roster.

It looks like he was cut and did not make T & T's final roster.

- - - - - - - -

TFC's Adrian Mahoney was selected for Jamaica final roster

- - - - - - - -

On 1/16/2023 at 7:54 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The Whitecaps also have a player called to the Nicaragua U17 team for a camp this month. Mateo Clark.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/mateo-clark-called-up-to-nicaragua-u-17-national-team

It looks like he was cut and did not make Nicaragua's final roster.

- - - - - - - -

On 1/12/2023 at 1:50 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Guatemala U17s....a dual national is Jorge López of the Whitecaps.

It looks like he was cut and did not make Guatemala's final roster.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Keyrol Figueroa, the son of Honduran legend Maynor Figueroa is in the USA U17 squad and the Honduran media are obviously not happy.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynor_Figueroa

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2023/02/us-under17-mynt-head-coach-gonzalo-segares-names-usa-roster-for-2023-concacaf-u17-championship

16 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Keyrol Figueroa, the son of Honduran legend Maynor Figueroa is in the USA U17 squad and the Honduran media are obviously not happy.

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maynor_Figueroa

https://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2023/02/us-under17-mynt-head-coach-gonzalo-segares-names-usa-roster-for-2023-concacaf-u17-championship

So you're telling me that the US team is such garbage that they need to steal players from Honduras?  Figures.

On 2/1/2023 at 9:29 AM, Ivan said:

Don't know anything about these players (we can't even get a report from the soccer media who maybe do know?), but I am intrigued to see this 14 year old CB!

Guess I'll wait for the next Northern Futbol podcast to see if the boys know anything about these guys or @Footyehor @harrycoysterto chime in as they seem to have some insider info.

Our squad is decent. Comparatively to previous sides the defense is quite good on paper. Lazar would easily have made the American roster if he decided to go that route and Chukwu is a big prospect. The wide players are going to be interesting at the very least. Lots of speed and willingness to take defenders on. Can we compete for the title? Probably not. Just not enough quality through the middle. I'd say it is between us and Costa Rica for 4th in the betting odds.

Mexico has had a good cycle and on paper have the best 2006 age group in the region.

The Americans have their weakest team in a few cycles, but while their XI shouldn't scare us their depth is amazing. They have snubs that would start for us and a couple unknowns to me from the Liverpool and Barcelona u17s.

Honduras is always a nightmare at u17 and they beat Colombia last time they got together, so that's a bit scary.

5 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Our squad is decent. Comparatively to previous sides the defense is quite good on paper. Lazar would easily have made the American roster if he decided to go that route and Chukwu is a big prospect. The wide players are going to be interesting at the very least. Lots of speed and willingness to take defenders on. Can we compete for the title? Probably not. Just not enough quality through the middle. I'd say it is between us and Costa Rica for 4th in the betting odds.

Mexico has had a good cycle and on paper have the best 2006 age group in the region.

The Americans have their weakest team in a few cycles, but while their XI shouldn't scare us their depth is amazing. They have snubs that would start for us and a couple unknowns to me from the Liverpool and Barcelona u17s.

Honduras is always a nightmare at u17 and they beat Colombia last time they got together, so that's a bit scary.

From the USA side. You could say this is the best U17 squad in this tournament. That's because of Diego kochen, Adrian gill, Cruz Medina, and Pedro Soma would start for any country. I don't know much about Keyrol Figueroa but he could make his name known. 

6 hours ago, harrycoyster said:

Because they're all 23? 😄 

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

Does anyone know if the matches will be on Concacaf tv for those outside the region? I know its on One Soccer but cancelled that sub awhile back as the national team matches are geo-blocked for me (along with a lot of the other content).

Vix+

16 hours ago, An Observer said:

Don’t know that but don’t think it’s in Hong Kong

That is correct. It's a Spanish language streaming service available in the US and Latin America ex Brazil. u17 is only on Vix+ in the US only. Fox has US English language rights.

Concacaf site says outside of the Americas can watch it on their Youtube channel or app.

Edited by red card

On 1/31/2023 at 1:28 PM, El Hombre said:

The release says that they have a pre-tournament friendly lined up with Guatemala, so that's good news.

On 1/31/2023 at 2:36 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The friendly against Guatemala will be this Saturday, February 4th. 

Our friendly match against Guatemala ended in a nil-nil draw.

As per usual, we get the info from the Guatemalan FA; there were no social media posts from the CSA as of the time of posting this comment.

20 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Our friendly match against Guatemala ended in a nil-nil draw.

As per usual, we get the info from the Guatemalan FA; there were no social media posts from the CSA as of the time of posting this comment.

The CSA just posted that we played two different squads for each 45 against Guatemala.

18 hours ago, Vasi said:

Im honestly scared for 26. 

Everything from the Herdman rumor to zero communication from csa on an action plan leading up to 26, or even the wc money deal, makes me worry that we will really suck hard in 26. 

Any one else feel the same? Or have some words/info to ese my anxiety???

At times one wonders.  I remember the fiasco for the Women's WC in 2015 about all of it played in turf fields.  Are we going to have grass in 2026?

Final rosters for all teams can be found here:

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/05pmbqzp/cu17-final-rosters.pdf

Canadian-based players on teams other than our own are:

Haiti:

• DANLEY FELIX
• DYLAN ALEXIS
• SAMUEL LAMARE
• SEBATIEN JOSEPH

Jamaica:

• ADRIAN MAHONEY

5 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Final rosters for all teams can be found here:

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/05pmbqzp/cu17-final-rosters.pdf

Canadian-based players on teams other than our own are:

Haiti:

• DANLEY FELIX
• DYLAN ALEXIS
• SAMUEL LAMARE
• SEBATIEN JOSEPH

Jamaica:

• ADRIAN MAHONEY

So final squad of 20 so they had to cut three?  I guess Guardiero, Landicho and Klukowski were the final 3 cuts?