CONCACAF U17 qualifying: Guatemala Feb 2023 ( + preparation & news )

7 hours ago, narduch said:

DR were also the runner-up at last year's U20 tournament. Also entering at the knock out stage.

They are an up and coming nation in Concacaf as they are starting to take soccer more seriously. Might deserve more hype than Curaçao and Suriname. 

I agree with you though. Looks like it doesn't really matter how the USA game goes based on that bracket 

I just wanted to see the best game.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

It's too bad they are not full-time members of CONCACAF. Aside the fact that it's annoying not getting FIFA ranking points from them, they always seem liable to do something like this from time to time. They deserve a ton of credit. 

I'm a bit confused now. Don't they have to be to play in this tournament?

On 2/11/2023 at 5:31 PM, Sechat23 said:

Tbh never heard about Curaçao until this U17.

Thanks for that red card.

You are leaning into that particular American stereotype I see. To be fair, it has only been a country since 2010. It used to be part of Netherlands Antilles.

Curacao at the senior level played in the 2019 Gold Cup. They got second in their group and then lost their quarter final match... against USA... 1-0. They have also been in League A for both iterations of the competition as well (although they are the odds on favourite to get relegated to League B this time around). So if you've been paying attention to CONCACAF competitions the last few years, you should have seen their name around.

1 hour ago, Kent said:

You are leaning into that particular American stereotype I see. To be fair, it has only been a country since 2010. It used to be part of Netherlands Antilles.

I had planned to post "typical American, not aware of much outside of your border" but decided not to be rude, I'm sorry I planned to say that😎

23 hours ago, Sechat23 said:

yo si hablo español. Soy de EEUU.

, con acento, para enfatizar.

Si no, está diciendo "If I speak Spanish, I am from the USA"

Igual: un día puse un video de Luca Koleosho hablando de su convocatoria para Canadá, y nos dijo que no lo entendía. Así que una cosa u otra.

[Translation: he's talking through his rectal parts]

I thought that USA were dominant vs Canada. Canada could barely put passes together and there was way too many one touch passes in the defensive end. USA was passing well and threatened way more that Canada ever did. Although these are all young players and obviously the level of play will get better as they mature, I thought that other than the overall defensive ability of Canada, they lacked possession, the ability to counter the press, the vision for getting forward, dribbling around defenders and making a good choice (whether to shoot, pass, cross etc around the box). 

The scoreline does not reflect how badly Canada was outplayed and I'm not sure any coaching tactics at this point will better prepare them for the rest of the tournament. I am hopeful as Canadians usually are but realistically, it will be tough for them to go beyond the quarter finals.

4 hours ago, hodgkiss said:

I thought that USA were dominant vs Canada. Canada could barely put passes together and there was way too many one touch passes in the defensive end. USA was passing well and threatened way more that Canada ever did. Although these are all young players and obviously the level of play will get better as they mature, I thought that other than the overall defensive ability of Canada, they lacked possession, the ability to counter the press, the vision for getting forward, dribbling around defenders and making a good choice (whether to shoot, pass, cross etc around the box). 

The scoreline does not reflect how badly Canada was outplayed and I'm not sure any coaching tactics at this point will better prepare them for the rest of the tournament. I am hopeful as Canadians usually are but realistically, it will be tough for them to go beyond the quarter finals.

First, of all they are U16-U17. Players can still get better but what we can see is that there are not really a Reyna or Alphonso type of players.

Second, Canada has not been good with youth development. Canada gets lucky with 2 of the best players in Concacaf but outside of those two, there are not many players that could be world-class.

4 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

First, of all they are U16-U17. Players can still get better but what we can see is that there are not really a Reyna or Alphonso type of players.

Second, Canada has not been good with youth development. Canada gets lucky with 2 of the best players in Concacaf but outside of those two, there are not many players that could be world-class.

Why are you here?

8 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

Please fuck off

12 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

I'd say we have the 4 best players in Concacaf, but who's counting?