CONCACAF U17 qualifying: Guatemala Feb 2023 ( + preparation & news )

I have seen large chunks of each game so far, and it hasn't been pretty. Totally dominated last night, as expected. Barely got the result against 10 man Trinidad. I missed the first half against Barbados, but the fact we couldn't score on them in the second half is bad.

I don't know if I am just too old school, but a couple times last night (and I think one of the previous games too) I've seen a defender, who I won't bother naming because he's still young and I don't want this first impression to dog his entire career, who would get beat or otherwise find himself out of position, and he just lightly jogs back instead of sprinting back to try to help the team. It drove me nuts! It was mildly depressing actually. I never got remotely close to a provincial team let alone a national team at any age level, but I seemed to care a whole lot more about my small town league games than that player cared about these World Cup Qualifiers. How do people reach such a level without a shred of competitiveness? Hopefully it was more a case of not being able to deal with the altitude or something, but it looked bad in my opinion.

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

It's a fair comment.  Best player on the team or not, the optics are not good.  Only in sport is this kind of thing even remotely tolerated.  

It’s not. There’s no room for petty optics if you’re serious about winning. If he’s the best leader, he should be captain - period. In any event, his dad isn’t even coach of the team so this is grasping at straws to begin with. 

I questioned it at first, of course. But from the 2 matches I’ve seen him play Biello seems to be not only one of the best players on the team, but probably one of the best youth talents we have. 

So should he be denied a call up if he earns one in the future because of optics? 

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It’s not. There’s no room for petty optics if you’re serious about winning. If he’s the best leader, he should be captain - period. In any event, his dad isn’t even coach of the team so this is grasping at straws to begin with. 

I questioned it at first, of course. But from the 2 matches I’ve seen him play Biello seems to be not only one of the best players on the team, but probably one of the best youth talents we have. 

So should he be denied a call up if he earns one in the future because of optics? 

Of course he should not be denied a call up.  He can still be the leader without the armband.  

I coached my son through the rep system for several years and most years he was our best player, I never made him captain and myself and the other coaches, unfairly in retrospect did not give him the MVP award as often as we should have! He probably was not vocal enough to wear the armband but surely was our MVP most years, I clearly explained to him the optics of perceived favouritism and he understood, in saying this I have no problem with Biello being the captain of this team!

I have no idea if Biello is the best option but he is certainly talented and I haven’t seen any evidence that it is the incorrect choice.  

For me it is just as bad to not reward someone at this level on the basis of parentage as it would be to reward them on that basis.  If the kid deserves it, hand him the armband.   

6 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Curacao and Suriname have been embarrassments this tournament. Shows that while they're doing some good things on the senior side, their structure is still in poor condition.

And they always will be. They are decent at the Men's level because they get back many players of Caribbean decent that do not make the Dutch team. No such luxury for the Juniors. 

Watching the Costa Rica Vs Jamaica game….the technical ability’s, skill and play I’m seeing is on another level from what I’ve seen Canada do in 3 games.

Like who’s are Nelson, Priso, Russell-Rowe, Colyn…

Lack of camps meaning lack of preparations equaling to lack of hype for players? 

11 hours ago, Shway said:

Watching the Costa Rica Vs Jamaica game….the technical ability’s, skill and play I’m seeing is on another level from what I’ve seen Canada do in 3 games.

Like who’s are Nelson, Priso, Russell-Rowe, Colyn…

Lack of camps meaning lack of preparations equaling to lack of hype for players? 

It has to do everything from not enough camps to where the players play. One player that plays for Fc Barcelona B will be better than someone that plays in MLSNP.

That doesn't mean that the FC Barcelona player will be better than MLSNP players in his career but in a U team, it does.