CONCACAF U17 qualifying: Guatemala Feb 2023 ( + preparation & news )

6 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Strange enough, there is a player from Sigma FC which has been one of the biggest Club/Academy contibutors to our National Program over recent years along with Vaughan.  So you would have to think that they would be well aware of other eligible players from that program but with Canada soccer you just never know.

I was thinking the same thing .  Sigma has been one of the best programs in Canada for years , but have we ever had a Sigma player (on sigma at the time of roster selection) on our roster before?

Also, do youth clubs receive money for players leaving on international duty like the senior teams ?

12 minutes ago, Kent said:

What leagues are the 3 MLS academies playing in at the moment? I'm most familiar with TFC and I know they used to play in Ontario leagues, then at some point they switched to a US based league. I believe Montreal at the time was also in a US based league. I don't know if those teams still play there.

If it's not happening already, my hope would be that these teams play in provincial leagues to make scouting have a better chance at succeeding. Like everyone else here, I have no idea who deserves and who doesn't deserve to be on this national team, but I have a really hard time buying the idea that 3 teams have virtually every one of the best players in the country. If TFC Academy, Vaughan Azzuri, Sigma, etc., were all playing in the same league, it would be easier for players to be compared by the people picking these teams.

I used to coach in a small club in Toronto and we eventually sent players to Vaughan & North Toronto and both eventually ended up in the Toronto FC Academy where they remain.  So I do believe that some of these clubs are strong feeder clubs to Toronto FC.  However, I know there are clubs that do not have that affiliation with TFC and their players get less looks for sure.  We had one of the strongest teams in the Province and it's been interesting to follow the best players of the program and to see where they ended up.  Some didn't have the tools/resources/funding/parental support to take their talent to the next level.  The best player on that team ended up moving back to Mexico while the other best player isn't even playing anymore.  Another was a dual athlete who ended up choosing hockey.  As mentioned, two players ended up in the Toronto FC academy and about 2 or 3 have ended up continuing through the local club level with great success.

Until there is more structure in Canadian soccer pyramids, this is likely what you are going to see at all age groups.

6 minutes ago, Bikerack said:

I was thinking the same thing .  Sigma has been one of the best programs in Canada for years , but have we ever had a Sigma player (on sigma at the time of roster selection) on our roster before?

Also, do youth clubs receive money for players leaving on international duty like the senior teams ?

Over the last ten years at the U17 levels we've had players from the Ottawa Internationals, North Toronto Nitros, Ajax Thunder, Mississauga SC, Woodbridge Strikers and WSA Winnipeg, but not from Sigma unless you go all the way back to Chris Nanco in 2011.

At the U20 level we had Bontis and Poku who were from Forge/Sigma and then before that the ex-Sigma players were usually coming from NCAA because Sigma has a really good pipeline in place there.

It might be just my bias but Olivieri selected teams are very MLS-centric.  The 2019 U17 team that he took to Brazil only had Marc Kouadio from outside the big 3.

14 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I'll make an observation.. do our MLS academies ever play competitive matches against other Canadian teams at the u17 level? If not how can people draw comparisons between the players at tfc, vwc, mrl and everyone else. I'm genuinely asking?

I believe the CSA is trying to get them playing against each other through the NEX-PRO effort:

"As part of the program’s preparations and player assessments leading into the 2023 Concacaf Men’s Under-17 Championship, Canada Soccer delivered three NEX-PRO integration camps featuring 75 players across the professional academies with Vancouver Whitecaps FC, Toronto FC and CF Montréal. Canada Soccer then hosted a pair of best-on-best national camps featuring players from clubs based in Canada and abroad, with notably a pair of youth international matches against Costa Rica and Mexico in mid December."

TFC Academy hoovers up a lot of talent and offer free training vs pay-to-play. Based on the first clubs the Ontario players came from, the worrying part is only one from a Brampton club.

There are 2 each from Oakville and Mississauga Prostars. One each from Vaughan Azzurri, Bradford Eagles, Sporting FC Toronto, Guelph, Windsor, North Toronto & London Norwest.

Edited by red card

2 hours ago, El Hombre said:

Apparently One Soccer will have all the U17 games on demand. 

So if you can't decide whether to watch El Salvador play Suriname or Cuba play Guadeloupe on Feb. 16th at 5pm, don't worry: One Soccer has you covered.

Is on demand different from the normal OS channel? will i be able to watch on Fubo?

Don't know anything about these players (we can't even get a report from the soccer media who maybe do know?), but I am intrigued to see this 14 year old CB!

Guess I'll wait for the next Northern Futbol podcast to see if the boys know anything about these guys or @Footyehor @harrycoysterto chime in as they seem to have some insider info.

15 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Is on demand different from the normal OS channel? will i be able to watch on Fubo?

Yes, you should be able to watch the games on Fubo.  You can even play it safe by setting up to record the matches using the tv guide available in the app, but I don't remember any OS matches not being available on demand for a few days after it was televised. 

EDIT: Just read the above posts again and to make it clear, only the matches actually televised on the OS channel are available on Fubo.

Edited by Metro

23 minutes ago, Ivan said:

Don't know anything about these players (we can't even get a report from the soccer media who maybe do know?), but I am intrigued to see this 14 year old CB!

Guess I'll wait for the next Northern Futbol podcast to see if the boys know anything about these guys or @Footyehor @harrycoysterto chime in as they seem to have some insider info.

There’s apparently quite a bit of talent not on this team which is crazy and good.

36 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Higazy on this team means he's switching over from Egypt and would be provisionally cap-tied which is nice.

I'm not sure that is true.

Only senior friendly matches or competitive youth matches ( NOT friendly U20 or U17 matches ) provisionally tie a player.

Did he ever play a competitive U17 youth match for Egypt?

Did he play in this tournament two months ago?

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Africa_U-17_Cup_of_Nations_qualification

I don't believe he did.

18 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I'm not sure that is true.

Only senior friendly matches or competitive youth matches ( NOT friendly U20 or U17 matches ) provisionally tie a player.

Did he ever play a competitive U17 youth match for Egypt?

Did he play in this tournament two months ago?

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2023_Africa_U-17_Cup_of_Nations_qualification

I don't believe he did.

He would be provisionally cap-tied playing in this tournament for Canada.

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I don't get your point. Everyone who sees the pitch would be provisionally tied to Canada. It doesn't stop any player from filing a one-time switch to another country the day after the tournament.

My point is more that he can't play both sides of the fence as other players have before with us. If he wants to switch the day after the tournament, he can and we're done with him. None of this will they won't they crap.

6 hours ago, Ivan said:

I'm not biased towards any one of the Canadian MLS teams, but I do feel Toronto does have the best players in this squad among all those selected.  Key ones for me are:

Richard Chukwu is actually a box-to-box CM who happens to be left-footed and used also at LB with TFC academy.  Olivieri is following the CANMNT's 3-5-2 system so he tried Chukwu at the LCB position in the friendlies against Costa Rica and Mexico and I assume he will keep him there.  Is it his best position.... probably not and I feel you lose a lot by putting him there.

Lazar Stefanovic is a very good young CB, not the most imposing athlete but a highly intelligent defender that will likely captain the side.  He will see lot's of minutes with TFC 2 this season I assume.

Nathanial Abraham is a 2007 born GK, from what I've seen in MLS Next play, he's among the top GK's on both sides of the boarder.  Great reflexes, comfortable at his feet, commanding.  Can see his as a long-term TFC #1 in the MLS and beyond.

Missing:

Joses Chukwu, the older brother (2007 born) is a big miss, I've heard he was selected as a reserve given some fitness issues but by far he is the top striker in this pool.  Brings something different in terms of being a good hold-up striker with very good movement in the final third.  Leads U16's in scoring in the MLS Next this season.

Tyler Londono-Zapata, 2006 born CDM with Colombian nationality.  Small in stature but a bulldog in the midfield, can be a destroyer and both a deep-lying playmaker.

CF Montreal:

Antoine N'Diaye, 2006 box-to-box midfielder.  Very silky, covers ground, combines well, act's as the connector to everything.  Has a lot of potential but sometimes feel he plays within himself and/or too safe.  Has the ability to drive with the ball and or sit deep and distribute but feel he's often to quick to get off the ball.

Vancouver:

Aidan Fong, 2006 RWB that can also play on the left.  Very dynamic, good speed on the dribble, tenacity/aggressiveness, always looking to bomb forward and contribute to attack.

2 hours ago, Footyeh said:

I'm not biased towards any one of the Canadian MLS teams, but I do feel Toronto does have the best players in this squad among all those selected.  Key ones for me are:

Richard Chukwu is actually a box-to-box CM who happens to be left-footed and used also at LB with TFC academy.  Olivieri is following the CANMNT's 3-5-2 system so he tried Chukwu at the LCB position in the friendlies against Costa Rica and Mexico and I assume he will keep him there.  Is it his best position.... probably not and I feel you lose a lot by putting him there.

Lazar Stefanovic is a very good young CB, not the most imposing athlete but a highly intelligent defender that will likely captain the side.  He will see lot's of minutes with TFC 2 this season I assume.

Nathanial Abraham is a 2007 born GK, from what I've seen in MLS Next play, he's among the top GK's on both sides of the boarder.  Great reflexes, comfortable at his feet, commanding.  Can see his as a long-term TFC #1 in the MLS and beyond.

Missing:

Joses Chukwu, the older brother (2007 born) is a big miss, I've heard he was selected as a reserve given some fitness issues but by far he is the top striker in this pool.  Brings something different in terms of being a good hold-up striker with very good movement in the final third.  Leads U16's in scoring in the MLS Next this season.

Tyler Londono-Zapata, 2006 born CDM with Colombian nationality.  Small in stature but a bulldog in the midfield, can be a destroyer and both a deep-lying playmaker.

CF Montreal:

Antoine N'Diaye, 2006 box-to-box midfielder.  Very silky, covers ground, combines well, act's as the connector to everything.  Has a lot of potential but sometimes feel he plays within himself and/or too safe.  Has the ability to drive with the ball and or sit deep and distribute but feel he's often to quick to get off the ball.

Vancouver:

Aidan Fong, 2006 RWB that can also play on the left.  Very dynamic, good speed on the dribble, tenacity/aggressiveness, always looking to bomb forward and contribute to attack.

Overall how good do you think this team is?

56 minutes ago, Sechat23 said:

Overall how good do you think this team is?

Given that I've seen the friendly matches with Costa Rica and Mexico... I think they will struggle with the bigger opponents.  Team just didn't look comfortable being put under pressure in midfield and the attacking options couldn't help to alleviate that.  SHOULD make it out of the group as 2nd place, but even that set's us up for a match with 3rd place of group H which could be any of Honduras, Haiti or El Salvador which won't be easy.  Can't afford to finish 3rd and have to face Mexico in the Quarter's.

2 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Given that I've seen the friendly matches with Costa Rica and Mexico... I think they will struggle with the bigger opponents.  Team just didn't look comfortable being put under pressure in midfield and the attacking options couldn't help to alleviate that.  SHOULD make it out of the group as 2nd place, but even that set's us up for a match with 3rd place of group H which could be any of Honduras, Haiti or El Salvador which won't be easy.  Can't afford to finish 3rd and have to face Mexico in the Quarter's.

So you telling me that Canada could go toe to toe with Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados but not USA?

19 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Luckily history shows that results/play in pre-competition has next to no correlation to play when it matters at the youth level. 

16 hours ago, Footyeh said:

Missing:

CF Montreal:

Vancouver:

Thanks @Footyeh.  Appreciate your thoughts since you've actually seen these players.  So you think the older Chukwu is hurt and that's why he's not there?  I had heard of him before (maybe from one of your previous write-ups) but noticed he wasn't at the earlier Mexico camp either.