CPL 2022 Season Attendance

17 hours ago, shermanator said:

The league's website has all attendances for week 9 on their match reports. Attendances are as follows:

• FC Edmonton vs Forge - 897
  • Valour vs Atletico Ottawa - 2699
  • HFX Wanderers vs York United - 6224
  • Atletico Ottawa vs Pacific - 4176
  • Valour vs FC Edmonton - 2727

Attendance change compared to last year is as follows:

• Atletico Ottawa +2%
  • Cavalry +41%
  • Edmonton -9%
  • Forge +8%
  • HFX Wanderers +13%
  • Pacific +17%
  • Valour +5%
  • York +11%
  • CPL +4% 

Thank you for this.

Do you have the data to do a comparison to 2019 as the only other non-covid year?  

FUH-aieUcAAo5k5?format=jpg&name=small

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Canadian_Premier_League_season#Attendance

1 Forge FC 92,228 17,611 3,864 6,588 n/a
2 HFX Wanderers 84,860 6,244 5,387 6,061 n/a
3 Valour FC 74,694 9,699 3,173 5,335 n/a
4 Cavalry FC 46,091 4,697 1,938 3,292 n/a
5 Pacific FC 43,426 5,103 2,017 3,102 n/a
6 FC Edmonton 40,663 4,238 2,021 2,905 n/a
7 York9 37,352 4,260 1,729 2,668 n/a
  League total 419,314 17,611 1,729 4,279 n/a

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

While covid still exists, I don't think it is greatly impacting on sports attendances any more.

I think they're trying to compare this season to another season which wasn't impacted by covid. Attendance is up over 2021 and if we don't find some information that tells a bad news story some people just won't be satisfied 

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

While covid still exists, I don't think it is greatly impacting on sports attendances any more.

Couldn't disagree more.

In that people are less afraid or restricted from attending evens?  Absolutely.  That a portion of the population is poorer and an even greater part of the population has learned to live without live events?  Not a chance.

COVID lingers on.  It'll be a while.  Here's to back to normal sooner rather than later.

16 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Couldn't disagree more.

In that people are less afraid or restricted from attending evens?  Absolutely.  That a portion of the population is poorer and an even greater part of the population has learned to live without live events?  Not a chance.

COVID lingers on.  It'll be a while.  Here's to back to normal sooner rather than later.

Yah but let's be honest, those people are more in to Mindcraft than football anyways. I would say you can pretty much take these numbers to the bank 

CPL just needs to stay on the same track. Keep going, be positive put butts in seats for big games and build those connections with people. Takes time

Edited by SpursFlu

20 hours ago, Kingston said:

It's not like it was, but I personally know people that attended games regularly in 2019 but aren't this season still due to their risk of catching Covid. I know even more that aren't soccer fans, but certainly haven't returned to 'normal' activities. I think the effects of covid linger for some, if not many. However there are others that are super eager to get out and do things. 

22 hours ago, Kingston said:

US tracking data says it has gone from just below 30% from summer 20 to to just above 60% this May for sports fans. I would say Canada is a bit lower. So, not there yet.

Screenshot 2022-06-08 134904.jpg

Edited by red card

Many workers have barely even returned to the office. Or they've done so in a reduced capacity. At my job we regularly have face to face work cancelled due to covid. Sometimes it can feel like it's over, but other times it smacks you in the face still. Even with mild symptoms it can still hurt you socially and financially to catch covid.

Edited by Aird25

Had a talk with someone at work who lives in Gatineau. We were talking about sports and she said her kid love soccer - told her about Atletico across the river. She had never heard of it but was excited to go check it out.

Next commissioner's challenge is to get the league more mainstream. Same thing happens whenever I talk CPL in North York... York United? Where? CP...what?

- Never heard of it ☹️