CPL 2022 Season Attendance

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The Forge crowd looked unusually good so maybe occasional midweek fixtures aren't the problem they have been thought to be. Pacific would be an exception on that probably.

Really looking forward to an announced number for this one. Seemed like a normal (as of late) attendance to me. Which is good because I was expecting a low turnout. It's so difficult to gage a number in such a big stadium.

On 7/7/2022 at 1:45 AM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Comparing to a COVID season isn't apples-to-apples, but I guess 2022 is also a COVID season. Every team except Edmonton is up from their end-of-year 2021 averages, and I expect after this weekend's numbers are counted they may go up as well.

Aside from York and the Eddies I'm most worried about Valour but ownership is probably more focused on presiding over a modern day CFL dynasty.

Edited by jonovision

On 7/10/2022 at 1:02 PM, jonovision said:

Comparing to a COVID season isn't apples-to-apples, but I guess 2022 is also a COVID season. Every team except Edmonton is up from their end-of-year 2021 averages, and I expect after this weekend's numbers are counted they may go up as well.

Aside from York and the Eddies I'm most worried about Valour but ownership is probably more focused on presiding over a modern day CFL dynasty.

The way I see it, we might as well compare to last season even if it's a slam dunk to be an improvement. There aren't any apples to apples comparisons possible. Year 1 was always likely to be a high water mark due to the novelty of a new league. Year 2 was played at a neutral venue with effectively no fans allowed, year 3 was a heavily restricted year, year 4 is basically normal although there are still some that are hesitant (but anecdotally it feels like fewer and fewer every day). If year 5 (next year) is an improvement again on year 4, then we are hopefully seeing the start of a trend. 

On 7/10/2022 at 11:12 AM, yothat2 said:

İt's weird that Fced use to average 2500-3200 fans in the nasl days .. 

Wins some more games and might be a me to get back there 

Only for half the years. Their first season in CPL would have been above average in the NASL era

7 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Only for half the years. Their first season in CPL would have been above average in the NASL era

Good point. Here are there average attendances according to Wikipedia.

NASL
2011 - 1817
2012 - 1492
2013 - 2437
2014 - 3384
2015 - 3122
2016 - 2060
2017 - 3408

CPL
2019 - 2936
2020 - NA
2021 - 921

They have only made the playoffs 2 times in their history. 2011, and 2016. 2017 was their biggest attendance year, and 2016 was their best year (semi finalist, and finished 3rd in the league). I wonder if the good 2016 season helped them sell season tickets for 2017? Are there any fans from those days that can shed some light?

The same happened with the Ottawa Fury vs what is happening now with Atletico Ottawa.  I have not heard of any significant freebies be given out now so when 4,566 is announced, it is all revenue versus when the Fury drew whatever, I would guess a good percentage was freebies (or extremely cheap tickets) given to youth teams.  At least that is my understanding...

On 7/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, Kent said:

Good point. Here are there average attendances according to Wikipedia.

NASL
2011 - 1817
2012 - 1492
2013 - 2437
2014 - 3384
2015 - 3122
2016 - 2060
2017 - 3408

CPL
2019 - 2936
2020 - NA
2021 - 921

They have only made the playoffs 2 times in their history. 2011, and 2016. 2017 was their biggest attendance year, and 2016 was their best year (semi finalist, and finished 3rd in the league). I wonder if the good 2016 season helped them sell season tickets for 2017? Are there any fans from those days that can shed some light?

For perspective, 2011 FCE played at the terrible Foote Field stadium and 2012 the team actually oversold as the seating was 1200-1300 at Clarke with only the old grandstand (plus some standing room), stadium was actually packed most games. The big blue grandstand was added in 2013 to increase capacity to over 4000. For 2016, Jay Ball was with the team and did a great job the following year bringing in more fans and creating a better atmosphere to an extent.

Winning doesn't necessarily bring in more fans either, its part of the equation but without other aspects like marketing etc its not going to help on its own much.

Edited by CDNFootballer

13 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Winning doesn't necessarily bring in more fans either, its part of the equation but without other aspects like marketing etc its not going to help on its own much.

In fact, plans to build attendance should not be predicated on winning because any given team simply isn't going to have a winning season every year.  Yes, the team should have good years but the attendance needs to be there regardless.

17 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

For perspective, 2011 FCE played at the terrible Foote Field stadium and 2012 the team actually oversold as the seating was 1200-1300 at Clarke with only the old grandstand (plus some standing room), stadium was actually packed most games. The big blue grandstand was added in 2013 to increase capacity to over 4000. For 2016, Jay Ball was with the team and did a great job the following year bringing in more fans and creating a better atmosphere to an extent.

Yes but winning helps. Probably most of all in football 

Losing what is it? 9 straight games against Calgary. That can't create good vibes in Edmonton 

I'm hoping Phonzie gets some of that CSB transparency and jumps on the FC Edmonton ownership train

Love the orange kits by the way