Should Canada change its jersey look for Qatar?

TGAA_Star

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

We better be getting the best World Cup jersey ever after this shit show… a Maple Leaf jersey that starts changing colour after half time from green to yellow/orange and finally red at around the 70 min mark 😎

Tifo football has a good documentary on the evolution of football kits. Its 7 min and worth a watch. 

But yeah. Nike is garbage. I understand that the CSA has some bonehead ideas. But doesn't Nike understand that if they make a new kit for a G7 nation that has not been at the WC for 36 years that LOTS of ppl will buy set kit and make Nike boat loads of money. 

All of this is so so confusing....i guess all of the Nike execs have been concerned about Lebron not making it to the playoffs that they have decided to ignore all of their other businesses.....idiots. 

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually don't think Nike needs to make a new kit for Canada for the World Cup, because so few of the current version(s) has been sold. Get the current stock issue figured out and they'll sell like crazy (especially the black ones).

As much as we want a new World Cup kit, it's not really necessary for Canada Soccer and Nike to make a killing on World Cup hype.

5 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Nike is slipping. It may be time to change sponsorship.

Kit supplier, not sponsor. 

1 hour ago, RS said:

I actually don't think Nike needs to make a new kit for Canada for the World Cup, because so few of the current version(s) has been sold. Get the current stock issue figured out and they'll sell like crazy (especially the black ones).

As much as we want a new World Cup kit, it's not really necessary for Canada Soccer and Nike to make a killing on World Cup hype.

That's not a bad argument to make but it all just seems like the same old sentiment of Canada being a complete after thought when it comes to global affairs.

You think Nike execs would brush it off as "Well, your kits are relatively new, released not so long ago so we're not going to release something specifically for the World Cup," if they had just landed the USMNT a little while back and the same variables were at play? 

Edited by Macksam

It's a huge disappointment to me if we are not getting a new kit for World Cup.  It's been my understanding that new country kits are released for upcoming World Cups for one reason only - to make money for themselves and funnel the money towards the other dept. of football association.

Nike needs to step up on the "supply issues" otherwise CSA is going to missed a huge opportunity here.  It's been going on for several months now, and if it continues the black market will grow.

1 hour ago, Nerf said:

I have my 1991 jersey, which I promised I'd replace when Canada made it to the next world cup.

ebDaSiMM0Mtf3cx-small.jpg

Honestly, I am superstitious. I'd keep the jerseys that got us to Qatar, with the appropriate WC logos attached. I like the black as a second jersey!

Yeah I guess that makes sense 

This article was written pre Brasil World Cup. But it says FIFA requires all kit designs 1 year in advance for approval. So, by around last November. I knew after the Panama home match, we were basically going to the World Cup but maybe not Nike.

In a World Cup qualifier ten years ago, Cameroon wore Puma's one-piece uniform, resulting in penalties and FIFA amending regulations to outlaw such designs in the future. To avoid such situations moving forward, FIFA now requires manufacturers to submit all designs one year in advance.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/uniform-nation/2014/6/4/5779630/2014-fifa-world-cup-uniform-guidelines-kit-requirements

4 minutes ago, red card said:

This article was written pre Brasil World Cup. But it says FIFA requires all kit designs 1 year in advance for approval. So, by around last November. I knew after the Panama home match, we were basically going to the World Cup but maybe not Nike.

In a World Cup qualifier ten years ago, Cameroon wore Puma's one-piece uniform, resulting in penalties and FIFA amending regulations to outlaw such designs in the future. To avoid such situations moving forward, FIFA now requires manufacturers to submit all designs one year in advance.

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/uniform-nation/2014/6/4/5779630/2014-fifa-world-cup-uniform-guidelines-kit-requirements

Surely due to covid that rule has changed 

7 minutes ago, red card said:

Seems fifa takes the fun out of everything

Looks like it was 4 yearish feud between Cameroon & Blatter. First they wore sleeveless shirts at the 2002 African Cup of Nations.

When you have to play a doubleheader of basketball and football.

When you’ve got basketball and 1pm and football at 3pm

FIFA banned the kit. So, Cameroon wore an undershirt for the 2002 World Cup.

Those sleeves definitely haven’t been stuck on with super glue

Then the onesie came out in the next African Cup of Nations. This contravened Blatter's rule of no separate shirt & shorts & socks, then no service. Cameroon was fined and docked 6 points from the 2006 WCQ. Puma filed a suit. They settled out of court and the 6 points were restored.

Cam2.jpg

Edited by red card

The thought of Canada not wearing red as its primary kit makes me uneasy. The blacks are nice as a clash kit, but Canada just has to be red.

If you start messing around with "cool" colors you end up like the USMNT with zero consistency in its kit history. Sometimes white, sometimes blue, sometimes red, sometimes hoops, sometimes a sash, etc. Far better to be nation with a consistent and classic aesthetic. 

55 minutes ago, canadave said:

The thought of Canada not wearing red as its primary kit makes me uneasy. The blacks are nice as a clash kit, but Canada just has to be red.

If you start messing around with "cool" colors you end up like the USMNT with zero consistency in its kit history. Sometimes white, sometimes blue, sometimes red, sometimes hoops, sometimes a sash, etc. Far better to be nation with a consistent and classic aesthetic. 

I agree with this....I like a consistent look...the best USMNT kit to me was the red and white hoops with navy shorts....the kits they wore in the 2014 WC looked like dominoes pizza uniforms lol...seems like the white kits have gotten to a more consistent look at least....

On 4/12/2022 at 9:04 PM, red card said:

This article was written pre Brasil World Cup. But it says FIFA requires all kit designs 1 year in advance for approval.

And what makes you think Nike didn't submit preliminary designs at that time for all the teams they supply that still had a chance of qualifying? No offence to my designer friends, but paying for designs for Canada and other "minnows" is chump change for Nike.

The assumption that Nike could not produce a new kit flies is based on the idea that a multi-national corporation of that size is totally incompetent. I would expect that Nike already had suppliers lined up, production time booked at factories, and even shipping companies scheduled last fall.

They could be incompetent I suppose, but until they say they aren't doing it, I have to assume they are.

5 hours ago, gigi riva said:

Canada . As much as I enjoy our Black Uniform  as far as looks go . I still think we should be in Red or White  and our third jersey should be Royal Blue .  

A royal blue Canada Nike jersey I would love to see that