Should Canada change its jersey look for Qatar?

TGAA_Star

I'm 99.9% sure a lot of the problems getting Canada kits is down to the manufacturer.

Besides their designs being crap, Nike is a nightmare to deal with.  Having worked in footie retail in my youth, Nike were nothing but frustrating.   They were often "out of stock" of things.  If they said they did have stock, they'd still not ship what we ordered.  I'd rather deal with anyone but Nike.

Edited by vancanman

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ag futbol said:

I know they have their fans but I found the designs we got from Umbro and Adidas for 20 years (with the exception of the one blue “rugby” kit) to be disinteresting crap. 

In fairness, nobody goes out of their way for a low selling jersey and a (I would suspect) lazy partner in the form of the association. 

But I wholesale like Nike better.

100%. I never understood why people on these boards defended Umbro, their stuff is sh*t. Adidas stuff is marginally better. But both companies just gave us jerseys that any beer league team could wear.

1 minute ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

100%. I never understood why people on these boards defended Umbro, their stuff is sh*t. Adidas stuff is marginally better. But both companies just gave us jerseys that any beer league team could wear.

It all comes down to numbers.  If people aren't buying kits in their thousands, the suppliers are going to just give that club/country a template.  They're not going to go to the time and expense of designing a kit that only sells a few.  

The only supplier that ever gave us custom kits was Umbro (twice) in the 90's.  They had the coat of arms of each province submitted into the material.

2 minutes ago, vancanman said:

It all comes down to numbers.  If people aren't buying kits in their thousands, the suppliers are going to just give that club/country a template.  They're not going to go to the time and expense of designing a kit that only sells a few.  

The only supplier that ever gave us custom kits was Umbro (twice) in the 90's.  They had the coat of arms of each province submitted into the material.

Good point. Maybe my beef is that the Umbro templates always look like crap, whereas the adidas ones are usually a lot nicer. Nike I find hit and miss.

We're definitely not getting a custom kit with any of the big suppliers tho. You probably know more about national team contracts than I do, but is a custom kit worth the switch to a smaller supplier?

2 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Good point. Maybe my beef is that the Umbro templates always look like crap, whereas the adidas ones are usually a lot nicer. Nike I find hit and miss.

We're definitely not getting a custom kit with any of the big suppliers tho. You probably know more about national team contracts than I do, but is a custom kit worth the switch to a smaller supplier?

Yes.  I think we'd get a much better deal with someone like Macron.  We'd be a lot more important to them.  Score was another nightmare.  Like Nike, except that no one's ever heard of them.  

Here's one of the two reds that Umbro did with the coats of arms sublimated into the material, which you can't see in this photo, unfortunately.

Screenshot 2022-03-31 at 12.08.28.png

Just now, vancanman said:

Yes.  I think we'd get a much better deal with someone like Macron.  We'd be a lot more important to them.  Score was another nightmare.  Like Nike, except that no one's ever heard of them.  

Here's one of the two reds that Umbro did with the coats of arms sublimated into the material, which you can't see in this photo, unfortunately.

Screenshot 2022-03-31 at 12.08.28.png

Yah, I always forget about the Umbro years in the late 90s.

I've got a bet going with a buddy of mine about our next kit maker after our nike contract ends. Think of an internationally massive canadian clothing company that has recently started dipping its toes in the sports world.....

12 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

I have both a Nike and an Umbro kit. The material is better in the Unbro one but I guess that has nothing to do with asthetics. I am sure they would have introduced something unique though for the World Cup. 

14 hours ago, pod818 said:

I’m digging this northern lights themed iridescent 3rd alternate jersey someone mocked up

I normally hate back jerseys, but this is pretty, pretty, pretty nice.

bordered by three oceans, I think we could sell the teal too. 

A pity if true.

I'd like to see Canada Soccer switch to Macron myself. While not every CanPL kit has been slick, they have certainly had more good designs then bad ones, and at least they try to put something new and interesting out. There hasn't been a single Nike kit I've been excited about, 

35 minutes ago, -Hammer- said:

A pity if true.

I'd like to see Canada Soccer switch to Macron myself. While not every CanPL kit has been slick, they have certainly had more good designs then bad ones, and at least they try to put something new and interesting out. There hasn't been a single Nike kit I've been excited about, 

I'm just wondering if failing to produce a kit specifically for the World Cup would be considered grounds to terminate the relationship. I think both Adidas and Macron would be chomping at the bit to land the national team if that were the case.

Edited by Macksam

38 minutes ago, Macksam said:

I'm just wondering if failing to produce a kit specifically for the World Cup would be considered grounds to terminate the relationship. I think both Adidas and Macron would be chomping at the bit to land the national team if that were the case.

I wouldn't even mind if Canada went back to Adidas

14 hours ago, vancanman said:

I'm 99.9% sure a lot of the problems getting Canada kits is down to the manufacturer.

I am sure it is. I am also sure that the manufacturer stopped doing outdated shirts and started switching to doing WC jerseys which was likely pre-planned and scheduled with the factories a year or more ago.

Production schedules for this sort of thing are not very flexible and given supply chain issues that last two years we have been lucky to get anything when demand has historically been so low. When decisions were made a year ago (or more) on production numbers, we were still hoping to finish in the fourth-place playoff spot. When we started winning and gaining popularity those numbers were shown to be too low.

It would be foolish to rush production of more outdated product when they can sell new WC-specific shirts to those who wanted to buy the qualifying shirts AND those who already did.

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

I have both a Nike and an Umbro kit. The material is better in the Unbro one but I guess that has nothing to do with asthetics. I am sure they would have introduced something unique though for the World Cup. 

That's surprising because I have always found Umbro stuff to be terrible quality. That been said, I know nike quality has gone downhill the last few years.

• 2 weeks later...