Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

4 hours ago, Borjans Sweatpants said:

Wonder if there were attempts to call him up for our friendly

If he was called up while he was with the reserve team in Espanyol, you can bet he was contacted while in the Premier League. He has moved on, we should too.

3 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

If he was called up while he was with the reserve team in Espanyol, you can bet he was contacted while in the Premier League. He has moved on, we should too.

Unfortunately, I feel you’re probably right. No reason not to call him to try, but he probably declined knowing where he’s at with both Italy / US. 

7 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Has any member of the media asked Koleosho or Biello about the former's thoughts on CMNT interest?

I would say it's obvious we contacted the player and he declined to come in.  I would say it's equally obvious the US contacted the player and he declined to go there too.  He's a young player with multiple paths not willing to commit at this point and is focused on club football.  Will that be the same come next summer when he gets invited to play the COPA or the Euros potentially, which are major international tournaments?  Time will tell.

Edited by prairiecanuck

1 hour ago, prairiecanuck said:

I would say it's obvious we contacted the player and he declined to come in.  I would say it's equally obvious the US contacted the player and he declined to go there too.  He's a young player with multiple paths not willing to commit at this point and is focused on club football.  Will that be the same come next summer when he gets invited to play the COPA or the Euros potentially, which are major international tournaments?  Time will tell.

Even though it is obvious I want to hear it discusses, just in case. We shouldn't be resting on our laurels and giving up on recruitment. It's hard to imagine we didn't call, but it's also the CSA.

6 hours ago, canadianbacons said:

Questions still needs to be asked - was he called? what was his response?

No evidence whatsoever but I just don’t see a scenario where we aren’t extending an offer to this kid at every reasonable opportunity unless and until he makes it categorically clear that he is not interested in us.  I know people knock the CSA but even a minimal degree of competence would involve reaching out to assess his interest.   

10 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

IMG_4123.thumb.jpeg.1e14dc7da706e5366d125a94db2fde18.jpeg

For anyone who hasn't watched him yet and didn't understand all the commotion in the thread for what seems like mediocre performances.

Interesting to see Bryan Zaragoza up high in there, who scored 2 vs. Barça,  both beauties, and debuted with Spain last night. Then there's Savio the Girona wing, a teen, who carved up Mallorca when they visited. In fact, Koleosho, Bryan, Lamine Yamal, lots of young dynamic players there. 

Luca just needs to convert his attacking dribbles into assists and goals, but i appreciate Burnley is not going to help him raise the stats.

28 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's been called into the Italy u21s, for games that I don't think respect the international windows; if he really had US ambitions you'd think he'd decline.

This is my thinking as well. Why accept an Italy youth call if you.are days away from picking the US?

Apparently there is another dual they are chasing. That is probably who this is about 

Edited by narduch

13 minutes ago, narduch said:

This is my thinking as well. Why accept an Italy youth call if you.are days away from picking the US?

Apparently there is another dual they are chasing. That is probably who this is about 

I appreciate with so many options you'd try a few. Since April 2022 he did a US youth B camp, two senior Canada callups then Italy u19s then u21s. Only playing official matches with the latter. 

If his Italian Canadian family is proud of him (mom is a Vallera) there's no problem about loyalties.

Oddly, the players in the CMNT have a share of responsibility over the loss of Koleosho since they went on strike thus removing the opportunity for Koleosho to take the field in a friendly against Panama. The whole episode, and the ongoing lack of friendlies, before (an after) the WC was, in my view, the start of the team's downward trajectory.

BTW, given that the women are soon to play Brazil twice (good!), are the men now owed an equalizing friendly since they had just the one friendly against Japan?

I still believe we totally shot ourselves in the foot over Koleosho, the world cup, and everything that has transpired since we botched the Iran fixture. We should have played that game. We could have capped Koleosho and saved a bunch of money and avoided the embarrassment of bringing Panama and then cancelling Panama (how amateur). The game would have been 40k plus and a good showing (if not a good result) would have kept up our momentum on our road to Qatar, instead we killed our own momentum. 

Some will argue that we shouldn't have scheduled Iran to begin with even though they were a World Cup team, sold a lot of tickets, and (in my opinion) could have actually been a positively symbolic - two nations with diplomatic issues putting it aside and coming together for football. Instead, we did the opposite of trying to come together.

Regardless, there was a real appetite to bring in a World Cup team outside CONCACAF and Iran were the best we could arrange if I recall correctly. Teams like Nigeria, Colombia, Chile, etc. would have arguably been just as good or better, but I cannot recall if they were available at the time and to be honest despite being traditionally better than Iran I think not being in the World Cup wouldn't have satisfied that appetite, at least amongst casuals, nor would they have sold as well. In the long run they would have helped avoid all the mess though and would have been better than Iran in that sense. 

Edited by Obinna

13 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Oddly, the players in the CMNT have a share of responsibility over the loss of Koleosho since they went on strike thus removing the opportunity for Koleosho to take the field in a friendly against Panama. The whole episode, and the ongoing lack of friendlies, before (an after) the WC was, in my view, the start of the team's downward trajectory.

BTW, given that the women are soon to play Brazil twice (good!), are the men now owed an equalizing friendly since they had just the one friendly against Japan?

Do you have any inside info that he was ok playing vs Panama vs just experiencing the camp ? It's been said many time in this thread that he subsequently was with the WC  squad when we played a few friendlies just prior to the WC. Personally I don't think our performance at the WC was poor. Certainly not vs Belgium, we had our moments vs Croatia despite the tactical set up and were a crossbar away from a potential tie vs Morocco even with the Borjan gift on the first goal. I do agree that the team has regressed post WC. Italy could have offered Luca a cynical cap tie vs Malta yesterday but didn't. So they are doing the right thing for his development vs what England did with Tomori.