Luca Koleosho

Xavier.

On 7/20/2023 at 8:33 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Just as it is also true that he is very unlikely to get any significant minutes with Burnley this season. And that he's disloyal.

On 7/20/2023 at 10:14 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Anyways, the kid is not going to get any significant EPL minutes, and will end up in their u-23 team, at more or less the Marcelo Flores level of play.

Still early days...

But I think were going to have lots of fun on this thread this year UT!!! 😅

On 3/30/2023 at 7:26 PM, red card said:

Italian football has started to get worried. So, they're looking at players like Koleosho more seriously.

Mancini has said he can't rely on Serie A for talent, nor can he afford to wait for coaches to give what talent there is a chance. It’s why he has called up players who haven't yet played first team Serie A football. 

With selecting Retegui, Mancini is now also selecting players who haven't kicked a ball in Italy. “Years ago, I said only players born in Italy should play for the national team,” Mancini said. “But there weren’t the problems we face now and the world has changed.”

Wanted to go back and find this comment because: Mancini is out.

Wonder how it might affect the selection of players for the Italian team moving forward. 

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

Move along! Would you pick a side that calls you into camp to go on strike?

He  subsequently accepted and was with the squad at the pre WC training, although he did not feature in the friendlies.   So I assume the "strike" was not a factor but the current unknowns re new coach/finances for games and prep may be.

14 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

The minute he got the start at Burnley he was going to be called, surprised he rejected them.

I am not too surprised. Little to gain by accepting a US call at this stage. He's provisionally cap-tied, so going into camp without filling out his paperwork for a switch is a waste of time, especially now that he's a regular for Burnley in the Prem. 

It was different with us because he wasn't provisonally cap tied, so coming in to check out the team, train with the team, get to know the guys - there was zero risk there. He wasn't playing regularly in La Liga like he is right now, plus even if he got into a game with us he would still only be provisionally cap tied. 

The real winners here are Itlay. Since he didn't play for us he was able to play in those youth tournaments for the Italians. He can keep going down that road now and see where it takes him. USA and Canada (or even Nigeria) are now potential fall backs - but I think it's more likely he plays for the Italian senior team than circles back to USA or Canada.

The American team have been handing out caps like candy, but when the real games come it's going to be very hard to get into the USA team. Meanwhile, he could play in friendly games with Italy and still have his options open, which I fully expect him to do. 

Then once he makes his full Italian debut in a friendly I think he gets cap tied by Italy in a Euro or WC qualifier, or NL. That's how I see this ending. 

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

6 in one, half dozen in the other. Either way the state of the CSA is not going to entice Luca - that's for sure. 

As a prospective player he would have seen and heard from others in camp to get a lay of the land.  It isn't just the CSA and the NT that is trying to woo him; he's there to get a feel if this NT would fit his needs as well.  He has other options.

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

Would you pick a side that treats its players poorly when other countries look after you?

How was Koleosho treated poorly? He's been wooed and oohed by the federation and its coach, with flexibility to play the field to boot. I get it, you like the strike. But it was a terrible look on the players then, and even moreso now.

18 minutes ago, The Real Marc said:

How was Koleosho treated poorly? He's been wooed and oohed by the federation and its coach, with flexibility to play the field to boot. I get it, you like the strike. But it was a terrible look on the players then, and even moreso now.

Where did I say Koleosho was treated poorly?    I didn't edit it so I am not sure how you took players to be directed at one player in Koleosho. 

The CSA has had a long track record of treating the players on the NT poorly.  Koleosho would have likely spoken to the players while in camp and realized he has better options.

I know Herdman was very good to Luca, the communication was frequent and there was a good relationship between the two despite him not committing.  For dual-nationals in general, it'll be interesting to see how quick a new coach can get up to speed and back on track for recruitment.

Biello is not the answer nor is he someone that will have much luck with these dual-nationals.

3 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

You can’t fault Koleosho for keeping his options open and kicking the decision down the curb. How many people can USA cap tie before it’s just cynical, they can’t play all of them unless they start doing B team for Gold Cup and C team for Nations League 

Agree.  But he's 19 starting in the premier league, even the USA doesn't have many players who are doing that.  He was called into this upcoming camp which for the most part, is an A squad apart from 2-3 names.  IMO, they will offer him Olympics/Copa America in the short-term and try and make him a key member on the road to the world cup.  Even if spots are tight in the USA compared to Canada, the one big advantage they have is in the "commercial department".  Big federation sponsors, marketing money, opportunities off the field to grow his brand etc.  

36 minutes ago, Mitchryan11 said:

All good we got a guy with Preston

Early days but based on the table Preston could be in the mix for promotion. Burnely may very well get relegated. A year from now it could be Koleosho in the Championship playing youth ball for Italy - and Millar playing in the Prem and being a CanMNT regular. 

2 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

You can’t fault Koleosho for keeping his options open and kicking the decision down the curb. How many people can USA cap tie before it’s just cynical, they can’t play all of them unless they start doing B team for Gold Cup and C team for Nations League 

Good luck Aidan Morris 🤣

It's not a good sign when 18 year old Cremaschi is getting called in ahead of you (having Messi as a teammate helps).  This current US squad is also missing both Tyler Adams and Gio Reyna in the midfield as well as many other players playing at similar level to Morris.  I even saw Aaronson's brother Paxton started for Frankfurt yesterday in their European game.

Edited by Corazon

2 hours ago, The Real Marc said:

You're correct. He was never treated poorly. Just the opposite. He wasn't ready to commit and was allowed to train and be in the camp.

More than a bit surprised he's starting for Burnley. Yes they just got promoted but he hardly played in La Liga last season and didn't play much in Spain's 2nd division. He was injured a lot though. Anyone watch him play at Burnley? Think it's either Italy or Canada, if we can get our house in order.  If it was the US why not commit to them now? WC  2026 in the bag & Copa 24 while Italy is in transition. I get Euro youth football is better but the US are calling him to the senior team.

Edited by Kadenge