Woobens Pacius

Stryker911

On 2/13/2024 at 9:28 PM, El Diego said:

I get what you're saying, but if I'm a player or an agent I don't want to go to Forge if I think they play games. The CPL (and its clubs) need to be developmental if they are to survive and therefore Forge should be looking at the big picture.

I think that's fair, but I also wonder if there is more pressure on Forge to keep their players because it's the CPL market where success matters most?

One important thing with that signing that I feel isn't noted enough is that its only the second (I think?) signing of a player developed by the CPL by a non-Canadian MLS club without said player playing in MLS for a Canadian club first.

In many ways the MLS, even clubs outside of Canada, is a natural destination for CPL players moving up. It's close, it's a pretty solid step up while not being too big of a jump, a bunch of CPL players fit their domestic players' rules (under the homegrown rule, as one of the many Canadians eligible for an American passport or green card holders) and others could easily get there anyway (getting a green card isn't hard if you are a Canadian with a good job, especially when you have an organization used to the process helping you out). 

Selling players to MLS clubs as a matter of routine is key for the CPL development IMO. The Canadian clubs are the logical place to start, but they have to find far more buyers in the MLS than just them. Hopefully, Pacius will do well in Nashville and help the CPL get there.

Edited by phil03

5 hours ago, phil03 said:

One important thing with that signing that I feel isn't noted enough is that its only the second (I think?) signing of a player developed by the CPL by a non-Canadian MLS club without said player playing in MLS for a Canadian club first.

In many ways the MLS, even clubs outside of Canada, is a natural destination for CPL players moving up. It's close, it's a pretty solid step up while not being too big of a jump, a bunch of CPL players fit their domestic players' rules (under the homegrown rule, as one of the many Canadians eligible for an American passport or green card holders) and others could easily get there anyway (getting a green card isn't hard if you are a Canadian with a good job, especially when you have an organization used to the process helping you out). 

Selling players to MLS clubs as a matter of routine is key for the CPL development IMO. The Canadian clubs are the logical place to start, but they have to find far more buyers in the MLS than just them. Hopefully, Pacius will do well in Nashville and help the CPL get there.

Great post.

Another thing is that he's an attacker and we haven't had such an export to MLS yet, correct me if I am wrong. There's Waterman (Montreal), MacNaugton (Toronto-Nashville), Farsi (Columbus) now Pacius right? It's great we are developing and exporting defenders, but we want to establish a pipeline for our forwards too. Pacius doing well could open up a lot of eyes in MLS. We know Pacius is just one of many young talented Canadian attackers in the CPL.

Where do you guys think he's going to start at? It sounded like he would wind up with the 2nd team, but I am just seeing Nashville announced so far. If he could play on the first team as a substitue and take his chance, he could find a run of games and kick on from there, which would be excellent. If he does well, that could give the national team another young forward producing in MLS. We already have Russel-Rowe and Kerr doing well, but I would gladly take another one.

We'd want to cap him at that point by the way (Kerr needs to get capped too, it's overdue).

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Great post.

Another thing is that he's an attacker and we haven't had such an export to MLS yet, correct me if I am wrong. There's Waterman (Montreal), MacNaugton (Toronto-Nashville), Farsi (Columbus) now Pacius right? It's great we are developing and exporting defenders, but we want to establish a pipeline for our forwards too. Pacius doing well could open up a lot of eyes in MLS. We know Pacius is just one of many young talented Canadian attackers in the CPL.

Where do you guys think he's going to start at? It sounded like he would wind up with the 2nd team, but I am just seeing Nashville announced so far. If he could play on the first team as a substitue and take his chance, he could find a run of games and kick on from there, which would be excellent. If he does well, that could give the national team another young forward producing in MLS. We already have Russel-Rowe and Kerr doing well, but I would gladly take another one.

We'd want to cap him at that point by the way (Kerr needs to get capped too, it's overdue).

Seems he’s signed to the first team for Nashville but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t spend most of his time in MLS Next. It just makes opportunities a lot easier to come by if he already has the first team deal. Remember opportunities dried up for O’Vonte Mullings once he spent his call up games. 

He didn’t play in their last preseason friendly yesterday, based on the teams twitter

Not sure if he was already training with the team. He may need a few weeks to get up to speed.

I haven't followed their off season close enough, but with Vancouver picking up Picault perhaps there is some space for him to grab minutes, at least as a sub at first.

Their season kicks off next Thursday with a CCC game v a DR club 

Edited by narduch

5 hours ago, Obinna said:

Great post.

Thank you :)

In fact I'll go further: I don't think the CPL has exported a lot of forwards in general, altough as you noted the situation is better for Canadian forward overall. Diaz was supposed to be the first meaningful breakthrough, by pushing the Norwegian club whose name I don't remember to the Norwegian top flight first. That didn't happen though so the work is still to be done. 

On Pacius in the national team, I'd say we should wait and see. Our top four forwards are playing in Ligue 1 (with plenty of talk about a transfer to the Premier League), La Liga, the Eredivise and the Championship. As you noted yourself we also have at least two forwards well established in MLS. Except for maybe the Gold Cup a I'd say a striker need to be at least in Russel-Rowe's and Kerr waters to be considered. Hopefully he get there, he is only 22 after all so he still has time to develop before hitting his prime.

Is there a risk Haiti might cap him? Sure, but that's the cost of becoming a descent national team, really: we are not quite at a point where we aren't trying to attract dual nationals who have a hard time making it in their first choice among national teams but we are at a point where others might start doing it with players who have a hard time making it in our lineup...

2 hours ago, phil03 said:

Thank you :)

In fact I'll go further: I don't think the CPL has exported a lot of forwards in general, altough as you noted the situation is better for Canadian forward overall. Diaz was supposed to be the first meaningful breakthrough, by pushing the Norwegian club whose name I don't remember to the Norwegian top flight first. That didn't happen though so the work is still to be done. 

On Pacius in the national team, I'd say we should wait and see. Our top four forwards are playing in Ligue 1 (with plenty of talk about a transfer to the Premier League), La Liga, the Eredivise and the Championship. As you noted yourself we also have at least two forwards well established in MLS. Except for maybe the Gold Cup a I'd say a striker need to be at least in Russel-Rowe's and Kerr waters to be considered. Hopefully he get there, he is only 22 after all so he still has time to develop before hitting his prime.

Is there a risk Haiti might cap him? Sure, but that's the cost of becoming a descent national team, really: we are not quite at a point where we aren't trying to attract dual nationals who have a hard time making it in their first choice among national teams but we are at a point where others might start doing it with players who have a hard time making it in our lineup...

Agreed. Pacius would have to be behind Russel-Rowe and Kerr until he proves otherwise. If Haiti caps him in the meantime it would be unfortunate, but we cannot give out caps like candy. At the same time, we need to play more friendlies. Maybe in January we finally get our long-lost camp poutine and RR, Kerr and Pacius all get called after breakout years.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Agreed. Pacius would have to be behind Russel-Rowe and Kerr until he proves otherwise. If Haiti caps him in the meantime it would be unfortunate, but we cannot give out caps like candy. At the same time, we need to play more friendlies. Maybe in January we finally get our long-lost camp poutine and RR, Kerr and Pacius all get called after breakout years.

IMO RR got call-ups that weren't warranted...so maybe there is an opportunity to give out a little treat.

Like someone mentioned, only so many guys can play....so why not give a call up to some guys who warrant it so it can elevate their profile, and give them a sense of being involved in the program. For example, calling up Cavallini and he doesn't play a minute is a waste when you could call up Bair

41 minutes ago, VinceA said:

There's a very good chance any minutes will have Haiti making a big push for him.

Which would suck. I don't mind losing our guys to Serbia, Turkey or Egypt. But when these guys can end up playing against you it stings more.

All we need is a u23 team to play at least once in an international window to make some guys feel like they are part of the program.

1 hour ago, Shway said:

IMO RR got call-ups that weren't warranted...so maybe there is an opportunity to give out a little treat.

Like someone mentioned, only so many guys can play....so why not give a call up to some guys who warrant it so it can elevate their profile, and give them a sense of being involved in the program. For example, calling up Cavallini and he doesn't play a minute is a waste when you could call up Bair

I agree with this fully. If RR, Kerr and Pacius are all performing at roughly the same level, we got to prioritize the guys without caps. And yeah, considering RR got those calls, maybe there's an opportunity in 2024.

What's going on this fall? Won't we have NL again? Maybe there's a chance if we have to play the group stage round? More of a shot for rotation, possibly. 

8 hours ago, Shway said:

I disagree, he has been great in all his limited time and if a team like MTL, TFC or Nashville who needed goals gave his a chance he’d bag 10 easy and can do 15. He literally needs to play, the kid is clinical and is underrated.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

Which would suck. I don't mind losing our guys to Serbia, Turkey or Egypt. But when these guys can end up playing against you it stings more.

All we need is a u23 team to play at least once in an international window to make some guys feel like they are part of the program.

I actually mind more when they go to teams like that. If they are good enough for a top 40 team, then they are good enough for us. If they are playing for a small CONCACAF team then they wouldn't make our squad.

20 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I disagree, he has been great in all his limited time and if a team like MTL, TFC or Nashville who needed goals gave his a chance he’d bag 10 easy and can do 15. He literally needs to play, the kid is clinical and is underrated.

I was really impressed with him live. "Has that something special" or whatever they used to say on FIFA profiles.

1 hour ago, Stryker911 said:

I actually mind more when they go to teams like that. If they are good enough for a top 40 team, then they are good enough for us. If they are playing for a small CONCACAF team then they wouldn't make our squad.

Those guys we lost to those nations had little ties to us so it wasn't a lost (Yankov could be the only questionable one but lets see how he is with MTL). Other than that I think it's snobbery mentality IMO. I understand it, but I'm also a realist in the sense that we aren't at the stage of France per say where we can be sending talent to other nations with not even a look!

Also the FIFA rankings don't mean shit (...but they mean everything) when you can look at Qatar which just won the Asian Cup and shot up to 37....the same team that had the worst WC performance for a host city, and the same team that lost to Haiti (89), and got slapped by Panama (41) in knock out round....and then you can look at the top 5 and see Belgium sitting their confused. 

Before we know it, we've made Haiti stronger and they are right behind us with Metusala, Cantave, Vilsaint, and Pacius.

For a developing nation, we have way too many stories of players being overlooked.

Edited by Shway

16 hours ago, Shway said:

Those guys we lost to those nations had little ties to us so it wasn't a lost (Yankov could be the only questionable one but lets see how he is with MTL). Other than that I think it's snobbery mentality IMO. I understand it, but I'm also a realist in the sense that we aren't at the stage of France per say where we can be sending talent to other nations with not even a look!

Also the FIFA rankings don't mean shit (...but they mean everything) when you can look at Qatar which just won the Asian Cup and shot up to 37....the same team that had the worst WC performance for a host city, and the same team that lost to Haiti (89), and got slapped by Panama (41) in knock out round....and then you can look at the top 5 and see Belgium sitting their confused. 

Before we know it, we've made Haiti stronger and they are right behind us with Metusala, Cantave, Vilsaint, and Pacius.

For a developing nation, we have way too many stories of players being overlooked.

You couldn't be more connected to us than Mitrovic...

22 hours ago, Shway said:

Vilsaint and Pacius might develop into players worth calling up for our A team, and are credible options for a camp poutine/Gold cup squad but Metusala and Cantave? Even if our depth is still a work in progress we still have enough options that I can't imagine a realistic scenario that isn't a player strike where we would actually put these two on the pitch. 

The only rationale to call them up IMO would be to cap them for the sake of it, to prevent them from playing for someone else, and honestly I don't want us to do stuff like that. We have been victims of dubious capping by others in the past (insert rant on Tomori) so now that, despite everything, we are in a place where we have more player options we should be the bigger country and only cap players who we see as at least potentially significant for the CMNT's future.

I’d be more worried about how England D and Netherlands D (Jamaica and Suriname) are looking, than missing a guy like cantave.

that being said we will lose guys to haiti, but our striker depth is starting to really develop. Reality is we are deeper than ever and that isn’t changing.

On 2/16/2024 at 11:54 PM, Shway said:

But we also get guys like Duverger playing double agent 😂