Woobens Pacius

Stryker911

Forward for Forge FC

Born May 11, 2001. 20 years old, 6'1"

https://forgefc.canpl.ca/forge-fc-signs-canadian-attacker-pacius/

I think he has done enough in a short period of time to deserve his own thread. Has scored 4 goals in 6 matches for Forge. 1 goal every 85 minutes. Has scored with both feet and a header. 

Was 1 of only 5 forwards invited to Montreal's preseason, so likely on the cusp of MLS, but has settled in nicely for Forge and will hopefully further his development.

https://www.lapresse.ca/sports/soccer/2021-02-26/le-cf-montreal-amorcera-son-camp-d-entrainement-lundi.php

6 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I wish Concacaf had a U21 tournament similiar to UEFA 

Uefa's U21 is U21 in name only. It's really a U23 tournament. They call it U21 because when qualifying begins two years before the actual tournament its U21, but then the actual tournament happens two years later, they still use the date cutoff from the qualification two years earlier when qualification began so its really a U23. It's the dumbest thing ever. UEFA could easily just say qualification is U21 for the U23 tournmnet two years later, but they don't and call it U21 when it's not. It's especially dumb when you consider that to qualify for the FIFA U20 world cup, they use the UEFA U19. So they acknowledge there that the age category will transform into the one year older group, but for the U21/3 they don't. 

Edited by rydermike

3 hours ago, rydermike said:

Uefa's U21 is U21 in name only. It's really a U23 tournament. They call it U21 because when qualifying begins two years before the actual tournament its U21, but then the actual tournament happens two years later, they still use the date cutoff from the qualification two years earlier when qualification began so its really a U23. It's the dumbest thing ever. UEFA could easily just say qualification is U21 for the U23 tournmnet two years later, but they don't and call it U21 when it's not. It's especially dumb when you consider that to qualify for the FIFA U20 world cup, they use the UEFA U19. So they acknowledge there that the age category will transform into the one year older group, but for the U21/3 they don't. 

Well not the dumbest thing ever: the tournament is used to qualify for the Olympics, a u23 tournament. So instead of having one group qualify you and sending another to play, you have a continuity of the group. 

For UEFA, besides, most of a u23 group is flirting with or in the senior side. So the U21 team is used to keep those older guys sharp and playing, with the very best moving to full NT duty.

The attitude of UEFA suggests U21 is already close to full NT, while having a proper u19 tournament with stricter ages is the real development competition. 

23 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well not the dumbest thing ever: the tournament is used to qualify for the Olympics, a u23 tournament. So instead of having one group qualify you and sending another to play, you have a continuity of the group. 

For UEFA, besides, most of a u23 group is flirting with or in the senior side. So the U21 team is used to keep those older guys sharp and playing, with the very best moving to full NT duty.

The attitude of UEFA suggests U21 is already close to full NT, while having a proper u19 tournament with stricter ages is the real development competition. 

I call it the dumbest thing, because by the time the UEFA U21 begins, all the players are already 22-23. It's different than the Uefa U19 (where the players are U19) to qualify for the FIFA U20 the following year (when the U19s are now U20s because a year has passed - that makes complete sense).

The UEFA U21 is different. For example, the 2021 UEFA U21 required the players to be U21 in 2019 when qualifying began (so by the time of the actual U21 tournament the players were actually U23). It's not a "U21" qualification for a "U23" in a couple years (for the normal aging process) like the UefaU19/FifaU20. The UEFA U21 is never U21 except for super early qualifying games two years prior to the tournament.

It's also not a U21 group qualifying for the Olympics when they will be U23s. It's literally U23s qualifying for a U23 tournament the following year, for which they are not eligible - so it's not a continuity thing. It's totally off. The 2019  U21 year cut off was 1996 (aka U23 in 2019). They qualified for the 2020 Olympics, where the year cut off was 1997 (U23 in 2020 plus 3 overagers). So players are qualifying for a tournament that they may not even be eligible for if they are the max allowed age.

It should be renamed the U23 (which is what it really is) and when qualifying begins two years prior, the only players eligible would be players who would still be U23 in two years (ie. current U21s). That's what Concacaf does - the Concacaf U20 tournament is really a U19 tournament because they use the age deadline for the following year when the Fifa U20 happens. 

Edited by rydermike

13 hours ago, rydermike said:

I call it the dumbest thing, because by the time the UEFA U21 begins, all the players are already 22-23. It's different than the Uefa U19 (where the players are U19) to qualify for the FIFA U20 the following year (when the U19s are now U20s because a year has passed - that makes complete sense).

The UEFA U21 is different. For example, the 2021 UEFA U21 required the players to be U21 in 2019 when qualifying began (so by the time of the actual U21 tournament the players were actually U23). It's not a "U21" qualification for a "U23" in a couple years (for the normal aging process) like the UefaU19/FifaU20. The UEFA U21 is never U21 except for super early qualifying games two years prior to the tournament.

It's also not a U21 group qualifying for the Olympics when they will be U23s. It's literally U23s qualifying for a U23 tournament the following year, for which they are not eligible - so it's not a continuity thing. It's totally off. The 2019  U21 year cut off was 1996 (aka U23 in 2019). They qualified for the 2020 Olympics, where the year cut off was 1997 (U23 in 2020 plus 3 overagers). So players are qualifying for a tournament that they may not even be eligible for if they are the max allowed age.

It should be renamed the U23 (which is what it really is) and when qualifying begins two years prior, the only players eligible would be players who would still be U23 in two years (ie. current U21s). That's what Concacaf does - the Concacaf U20 tournament is really a U19 tournament because they use the age deadline for the following year when the Fifa U20 happens. 

Sheesh. 

Okay, I'll edit. I really did not follow that at all. My bad.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

8 hours ago, One American said:

Watched a few highlights. It would be great if someone would mark him and we could see a little more clearly his quality. :)

Just from watching highlights, the attacking seems to be a lot better than the defending in the league. But highlight packages should probably seem that way. 

If you look at Dutch top flight it's the same, defending looks soft and in slow motion. MLS has a lot of goals in highlights that are weird bounces, odd rebounds and dumb errors. 

But I do agree that the CPL looks to have a low intensity defending. Especially in the middle. And as games progress. I'd like to see more physical intensity, closer marks and discipline defending. 

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Europe at the end of the year 

Any thoughts on which Euro leagues track the CPL? Genuinely curious. 

I guess basing it off Borges, Zator, etc I’d have something close to the answer I’m looking for. I’m just wondering if any others have proper intel. 

2 hours ago, cronaldo7 said:

Any thoughts on which Euro leagues track the CPL? Genuinely curious. 

I guess basing it off Borges, Zator, etc I’d have something close to the answer I’m looking for. I’m just wondering if any others have proper intel. 

I was curious myself, so I checked out transfermarkt to see the most common landing spots for players leaving the league. I would say that it is much too early to base anything off of this list, especially with the two pandemic seasons. There are a few leagues that players bounced back to, so it is hard to say if teams in the league are actually watching CPL. I also did it pretty quick so I might have missed some transfers, but this is what I found:

Regionalliga (Germany) - Brown, Kowal, Buescher
USL Championship (USA) - Sissoko, Murrell, Thomas
USL League One (USA) - M.Hamilton, Hundal
Primera Divison (Costa Rica) - Cabrera, Aleman
Segunda Divison B (Spain) - Galan, Martinez
Ettan Södra (Sweden) - Zetterberg, Adjei
Ykkönen (Finland) - Moses, Sukunda
1. Divison (Denmark) - Ongaro, Starostzik
Superettan (Sweden) - Zator, Mavila

*I only included leagues with 2+ player transfers (or loans) out of CPL

Woobens doess the simple but still important things right and is being rewarded. Great positioning and runs with a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

He is athletic, strong and can finish. He doesn't look out of place in the CPL or CL qualifiers. He continues to be a fantastic pick up for Forge. I've been really impressed and hope he keeps growing.

39 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Woobens doess the simple but still important things right and is being rewarded. Great positioning and runs with a knack of being in the right place at the right time.

He is athletic, strong and can finish. He doesn't look out of place in the CPL or CL qualifiers. He continues to be a fantastic pick up for Forge. I've been really impressed and hope he keeps growing.

Maybe it’s just me but he reminds me a bit of Akinola ?