Woobens Pacius

Stryker911

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Big facts. Sean Rhea, JRR, Yao, Lotori,  and  Pepple to name a few more.

We have guys holding on when quiet frankly they shouldn't. Garven was a guy that I think if he had some reps for Canada he would logically stick around, and could gain additional exposure from having those caps. 

We need to be more proactive vs reactive.....yes these young guys should make a name for themselves, but the scouting and camps can provide additional help to get them onto the next level. Right now we are reactive, where any player coming onto the scene or making moves is a surprise. 

The fact we have so much depth, particularly in attack is going to make the next wave a dual-nationals very interesting. Possibly for example there is a chance over the next few years we will lose Osaze De Rosario to Guyana, Pacius to Haiti, Nelson and Kerr to Jamaica and hell if JMR gets stuck on the RWB depth chart behind Laryea, Johnston and potentially others he could look elsewhere too.

It's a testament to the depth we have, but at the same time the fact we don't have any international footy for guys in the 18-23 age range unless they can get on the 23-26 man roster of our senior team means these guys will have options. And with nations league and such there is a real pull to not wait until you are in your late 20s to play for someone other than Canada.

Obviously they aren't good enough right now for Canada, but I mean we got people wondering if Akio should have waited a but longer before he committed to South Sudan and ultimately every player's development is different.

Granted at the same time federations like Jamaica are pretty incompetent at the moment (so are we for different reasons lol) so unless the player is really pushing to play international ball it's not a huge issue in the short term. Also in Jamaica's case they're blind to North American Jamaican dual nationals for some reason.

3 hours ago, Cicero said:

He could still improve his control on hard passes. I doubt he will ever develop into a strong dribbler.

Looks like he had a few moves back in the day...maybe he decided dribbling wasn't for him anymore and that scoring bangers is where it's really at🤷‍♂️

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYHcMKRgv6z/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

14 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Looks like he had a few moves back in the day...maybe he decided dribbling wasn't for him anymore and that scoring bangers is where it's really at🤷‍♂️

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYHcMKRgv6z/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Good find. Haven't seen any evidence of that at Forge, but maybe it's just the way Bobby asks him to play.

2 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Since it is being reported Wright is going to Vancouver, Pacius has to be on a MLS radar.

Pacius is 2 years older but has a better strike rate then Wright, who’s form has tailed off this year while Pacius has remained consistent. 

Can't believe De-Ro Jnr. Isn't on that radar, salter is trending that way too imo. Probably a good 10-15 in the CPL to be honest in various positions MLS clubs are looking at. 

3 hours ago, canuckgbp said:

Since it is being reported Wright is going to Vancouver, Pacius has to be on a MLS radar.

Pacius is 2 years older but has a better strike rate then Wright, who’s form has tailed off this year while Pacius has remained consistent. 

I think the raw strength of Wright has teams very interested, I haven’t seen Pacius.

it’s clear MLS teams are taking note of the young Canadians in the Can PL. I’d imagine that more players are going to be picked up for cheap now even if it’s just for Next pro.

4 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I think the raw strength of Wright has teams very interested, I haven’t seen Pacius.

it’s clear MLS teams are taking note of the young Canadians in the Can PL. I’d imagine that more players are going to be picked up for cheap now even if it’s just for Next pro.

I think it is good for us.

They will be playing first team in Next Pro and another young canadian will get minutes in the CPL.

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Love me some Woobens. Hope he gets a good move. Honestly think he is worth a sneaky captie if he moves up. Ton of potential and just gets in the right places.

We’re going to see the same bench guys. 

It’s suck we don’t operate like the the other Concacaf countries that are able of scouting their local talent and giving them opportunities on the national stage. (Which typically propels them)

It now seems like if you’re not playing in the prem, you won’t get called up or get a look.

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

We’re going to see the same bench guys. 

It’s suck we don’t operate like the the other Concacaf countries that are able of scouting their local talent and giving them opportunities on the national stage. (Which typically propels them)

It now seems like if you’re not playing in the prem, you won’t get called up or get a look.

This is where domestic camps would go a long way. I don't see why the CSA cannot have an annual domestic camp and round it out with a friendly against a Caribbean nation, or a team like Belize or Nicaruga.

I realize the barrier is money. It costs the CSA much more to fly CPL guys to a central location compared to Costa Rica or Honduras, but can't we get creative?

Example: GTA based camp

- TFC players: Osorio, Kaye, Laryea, MacNaugton, Rutty, Akinola, Kerr, Thompson

- York players: Osaze Dero, Niko Giantsopoulos, Brian Wright, Clement Bayiha

- Forge players: Borges, Pacius, Poku, Hojabrapour, Bekker, Tristan Henry, Terran Campbell, Morgan, David Choiniere

I just threw those names together, with minimal consideration for position, so you may or may not agree with the choices, even though I think several deserve a look, but the point was to show you could bring guys together on the cheap if you keep it regional. That shouldn't be any more or less expensive than what Honduras or Costa Rica do when they assemble domestic camps. If the friendly at the end is too costly, skip it or do it cheap lile playing at Lions stadium vs BMO if that keeps costs down. The main thing is to bring guys together and give them a chance to progress into the national team fold, in the same way our CA foes do.

We have this developing pro league but we are not maximizing it as far as NT integration goes.

You could do a west coast version of this with Van FC, Pacific, Whitecaps. The ferry may be slightly inconvenient, but overall it's regional enough to make it comparable to what the CA countries do. A joint Atletico Ottawa-CF Montreal is probably a stretch, as it would be to fly Wanderers guys to the PQ based camp, or Cavalry guys to a west coast camp, and poor Valour guys are kind of in no-mans land, but hey if you want to bring select guys in from the hinterlands, the cost is way cheaper than your typical camp poutine. It doesn't have to br so neat, just have a West Coast camp, a GTA camp, then fill in the gaps as needed with deserving players in Montreal, Ottawa, Winnipeg, etc.

Maybe alternate every year between east and west or if you can do both. Work around the domestic schedules as needed. Doesn't need to be perfect. These could even fill the void of youth camps which apparently we no longer run lol

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

This is where domestic camps would go a long way. I don't see why the CSA cannot have an annual domestic camp and round it out with a friendly against a Caribbean nation, or a team like Belize or Nicaruga.

I realize the barrier is money. It costs the CSA much more to fly CPL guys to a central location compared to Costa Rica or Honduras, but can't we get creative?

Example: GTA based camp

- TFC players: Osorio, Kaye, Laryea, MacNaugton, Rutty, Akinola, Kerr, Thompson

- York players: Osaze Dero, Niko Giantsopoulos, Brian Wright, Clement Bayiha

- Forge players: Borges, Pacius, Poku, Hojabrapour, Bekker, Tristan Henry, Terran Campbell, Morgan, David Choiniere

I just threw those names together, with minimal consideration for position, so you may or may not agree with the choices, even though I think several deserve a look, but the point was to show you could bring guys together on the cheap if you keep it regional. That shouldn't be any more or less expensive than what Honduras or Costa Rica do when they assemble domestic camps. If the friendly at the end is too costly, skip it or do it cheap lile playing at Lions stadium vs BMO if that keeps costs down. The main thing is to bring guys together and give them a chance to progress into the national team fold, in the same way our CA foes do.

We have this developing pro league but we are not maximizing it as far as NT integration goes.

I 1000%  agree. It's almost like we don't rate it, and will only do so when they've won champions league or something. 
We are probably the only Concacaf nation in the top 10 that doesn't frequently do domestic camps.
There's absolutely no excuse, and I think someone mentioned that it's like JH doesn't like doing these.

You even made it easy by unnecessarily narrowing it down to a GTA camp, because Montreal and Ottawa aren't far where guys can't get on train if the CSA is THAT broke. I'm even sure the USA would be easily down for their B/C team to play. 

To name a few additional guys ZBG, M. Choiniere, Piette, Miller, Shaw, Ingham, Pantemis.

There's absolutely no excuse. 

25 minutes ago, Shway said:

I 1000%  agree. It's almost like we don't rate it, and will only do so when they've won champions league or something. 
We are probably the only Concacaf nation in the top 10 that doesn't frequently do domestic camps.
There's absolutely no excuse, and I think someone mentioned that it's like JH doesn't like doing these.

You even made it easy by unnecessarily narrowing it down to a GTA camp, because Montreal and Ottawa aren't far where guys can't get on train if the CSA is THAT broke. I'm even sure the USA would be easily down for their B/C team to play. 

To name a few additional guys ZBG, M. Choiniere, Piette, Miller, Shaw, Ingham, Pantemis.

There's absolutely no excuse. 

I get the sense that they may not be rating league as much as it deserves, but more than that I get the sense the CSA are simply too distracted to make something like this happen. We can't be the only ones who dream't this up, right? Surely someone at the CSA has considered it - so why then hasn't it happened? Distractions and other "priorities", I am guessing. 

It's frusturating, because it should be very easy to pull off. If I worked for the CSA I would be taking the iniative to scope out the costs of a GTA camp in my down time, when I had to take a moment from my core responsbilites. Then, I would eventually pitch the idea to whomever is in charge of making such a thing happen. 

Or, maybe something similar needs to be driven by the CanPL side of things. Approach the CSA with a plan to select a "Canadian All-star" team that doubles as a national team camp. Have the CanPL put their weight behind it in terms of promoting the game as a "CanPL all-star game", maybe with some financial help around the logistics, but let the CSA piggy back off it, either by literally making it a CanMNT "B" camp against another nation in an official fiendly, or simply just making it a real allstar game, east vs west, but have the CSA coaches run it behind the scenes, so they can integrate players into the system. Maybe something in between? I dunno, I just want to see some creative solution to this problem, because we are in year 4 and I have yet to see the CSA tap into the CanPL potential.

Sadly, it won't be until these players leave for MLS or Europe that CSA will bring them into the national team fold. Zator, Carducci and Didic are 3 exceptions, but 3 players in 4 years? That's weak. Give me a full domestic CPL based camp, or at least an affordable regional camp in the GTA like I proposed, with TFC, York and Forge players. Got to start somewhere!

Edited by Obinna

• 6 months later...
22 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I don't typically like to see players move on before outgrowing a team/league, and I don't think Pacius has even been a regular starter lately. Too often this type of move seems to result in a player flaming out, but maybe he just needs a change in scenery. 

I hear you, I really do. He's just at the age where he needs to take the next step.
The later part of what you are saying sounds like Lowell Wright as I feel that move was too quick. 

8 minutes ago, Shway said:

I hear you, I really do. He's just at the age where he needs to take the next step.
The later part of what you are saying sounds like Lowell Wright as I feel that move was too quick. 

Was that the case for Wright or did he just not train hard enough with Vancouver? I know about the rumours about his conditioning.

For Pacius, I get it, but as it pertains to our national team, either he takes a leap and sticks and eventually plays into our mix, or he doesn’t have the quality and is just a career CPL guy which is fine for him, but at this stage in his career, if he’s gonna take a leap, it’s now. 

Feel like he's going to end up with Haiti. If he stays in the CPL he won't get a CanMNT call and if he moves abroad Haiti will get more interested. Combine that with our current reality of struggling to get friendlies and Haiti, the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere, is more likely to call him up than we are.