Woobens Pacius

Stryker911

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

100% has to be. Forge using MLS’s trick against them. 

So he was given a 2+1 contract? And it was never mentioned?
The way I see it Forge should be compensated for something for Woobens. Henry is a different story imo. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

So he was given a 2+1 contract? And it was never mentioned?
The way I see it Forge should be compensated for something for Woobens. Henry is a different story imo. 

Why would Henry be any different?  I know its all speculation in both cases and we want a free flow of players out..but even if its 100k for Henry that will help out Forges bottom line.    

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Why would Henry be any different?  I know its all speculation in both cases and we want a free flow of players out..but even if its 100k for Henry that will help out Forges bottom line.    

In principle it should be the same. 

Funny that these problems are emerging just now, and with Forge, when we have not heard of anything similar until now. 

That is, as long as what we are speculating about, the club contract option, is the real issue. Which I am not sure of, I just don't know.

31 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

In principle it should be the same. 

Funny that these problems are emerging just now, and with Forge, when we have not heard of anything similar until now. 

That is, as long as what we are speculating about, the club contract option, is the real issue. Which I am not sure of, I just don't know.

After selling Borges to OHL after the first season have they even sold anyone else?

Which is a bit odd for a selling league

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Henry has been there since the team inception, and is 30. He wants to make a "lateral" move to the USL. Let the man get his last biggest paycheck.
Woobens spent only 2 seasons at Forge and is 22. He's making an upward move to MLS and his future could be with the CMNT. Make the MLS pay as they would make another club pay. 

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

Henry has been there since the team inception, and is 30. He wants to make a "lateral" move to the USL. Let the man get his last biggest paycheck.
Woobens spent only 2 seasons at Forge and is 22. He's making an upward move to MLS and his future could be with the CMNT. Make the MLS pay as they would make another club pay. 

Makes sense, and does not make sense for Forge to alienate a club "legend" of sorts, it creates bad blood. I can see the logic.

It is not unusual for a team that wins a championship to have some breakups, the intense group atmosphere can't be held together, then players try to leverage the trophy and success for moves. 

For Forge, they are losing their starting keeper (not easy or cheap to replace) and same for a 10 goal striker.  If they are under contract I wouldnt let either go without compensation.  Henry is 30, owes all his development to Sigma/Forge, and is at his peak, experienced, prob got 3-4 more good years left......why would Forge let him go on the cheap? F the USL, cough up the transfer money if you hvev lots to splash on higher wages.  Its not like they are holding up a teenagers european adventure, its a lateral move to Memphis for prob a small pay raise. They have every right to try and make a deal thats good for the club.  And really,  from Henry's tweet is doesnt sound as acrimonious as posters/media are making it sound.  

26 minutes ago, narduch said:

After selling Borges to OHL after the first season have they even sold anyone else?

Which is a bit odd for a selling league

Manjrekar James.

Re: Pacius. He signed with Forge in August 2021. A CPL article (dated Jan 24/22) states Forge picked up his option for the 2022 season. A Northern Tribune article (dated Jan 25/23) states Forge picked up his option for the 2023 season. So, it is likely when he signed in 2021 there were two options. Unlikely there were three option years, so he should be out of contract. No "transfer fee" would be required but Forge may be owed a training compensation fee (as would CF Montreal) as he played within both clubs prior to his 21st birthday.

As for Henry, the player has posted several times asking for people to stop speculating on the issue. There is enough "smoke" out there, but he definitely was / is under contract and any transfer would need to include a fee or occur after a contract termination by mutual consent. So the Henry and Pacius situations are not the same.

17 minutes ago, McFan70 said:

Manjrekar James.

Re: Pacius. He signed with Forge in August 2021. A CPL article (dated Jan 24/22) states Forge picked up his option for the 2022 season. A Northern Tribune article (dated Jan 25/23) states Forge picked up his option for the 2023 season. So, it is likely when he signed in 2021 there were two options. Unlikely there were three option years, so he should be out of contract. No "transfer fee" would be required but Forge may be owed a training compensation fee (as would CF Montreal) as he played within both clubs prior to his 21st birthday.

As for Henry, the player has posted several times asking for people to stop speculating on the issue. There is enough "smoke" out there, but he definitely was / is under contract and any transfer would need to include a fee or occur after a contract termination by mutual consent. So the Henry and Pacius situations are not the same.

Only that unilateral contract options exercised by a club are illegal. So you can go and then if it has to go to arbitration, that'll decide the fee. 

All this contract schmontract stuff, it's a bit of fakery to take it seriously in these cases.

12 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Only that unilateral contract options exercised by a club are illegal. So you can go and then if it has to go to arbitration, that'll decide the fee. 

All this contract schmontract stuff, it's a bit of fakery to take it seriously in these cases.

Whether options are illegal or not doesn't seem to apply in either of these cases. As I said, Forge exercised two option years on Pacius, but it would appear he is currently without a contract of any kind and should be able to sign wherever he wants. In the years Forge exercised an "option", there was no talk of Pacius being offered anything else anywhere else.

Henry, on the other hand, signed a "multi-year contract" (as per the CPL website Jan 26/23...and other reputable media sources, including the Globe and Mail) and there is no mention anywhere of "options". So "multi-year" would indicate he is under contract for 2024, not on an "option". Fee required.

9 minutes ago, McFan70 said:

Whether options are illegal or not doesn't seem to apply in either of these cases. As I said, Forge exercised two option years on Pacius, but it would appear he is currently without a contract of any kind and should be able to sign wherever he wants. In the years Forge exercised an "option", there was no talk of Pacius being offered anything else anywhere else.

Henry, on the other hand, signed a "multi-year contract" (as per the CPL website Jan 26/23...and other reputable media sources, including the Globe and Mail) and there is no mention anywhere of "options". So "multi-year" would indicate he is under contract for 2024, not on an "option". Fee required.

Well explained, thanks.

So I'm wondering, what is holding up the Woobens transfer?

And what would be a reasonable fee for Henry if he is interested in going?

6 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well explained, thanks.

Good questions...

Government paperwork perhaps...green card / work permit?

If the rumoured 100k was offered, that was certainly more than sufficient. Personally, idk why Forge wouldn't have accepted that...thus why I am willing to wait before drawing conclusions (as Henry has asked for himself). However, IMO, if he had that opportunity for the reasons given, why not let him go for the 100k fee? Can't see that there wasn't sufficient time for the team to secure another keeper to replace him.

57 minutes ago, McFan70 said:

If the rumoured 100k was offered, that was certainly more than sufficient. Personally, idk why Forge wouldn't have accepted that...thus why I am willing to wait before drawing conclusions (as Henry has asked for himself). However, IMO, if he had that opportunity for the reasons given, why not let him go for the 100k fee? Can't see that there wasn't sufficient time for the team to secure another keeper to replace him.

He may not want us to speculate, but what else is this board for? I wonder if there is some issue with cap space in Memphis? No idea on USL salary cap rules, but maybe it's a trade-off of fee vs. wages and Henry asked Forge to take a lower fee than they would normally ask as a favour. Bob was okay with it and Bobby wasn't. 100k seems like a good amount though.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well explained, thanks.

Isn't MLS historically resistant to paying FIFA-mandated training compensation? Could it be that they want Pacius, but are shitty about having to buck up for a player they'd hoped to get for free?

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

For Forge, they are losing their starting keeper (not easy or cheap to replace) and same for a 10 goal striker.  If they are under contract I wouldnt let either go without compensation.  Henry is 30, owes all his development to Sigma/Forge, and is at his peak, experienced, prob got 3-4 more good years left......why would Forge let him go on the cheap? F the USL, cough up the transfer money if you hvev lots to splash on higher wages.  Its not like they are holding up a teenagers european adventure, its a lateral move to Memphis for prob a small pay raise. They have every right to try and make a deal thats good for the club.  And really,  from Henry's tweet is doesnt sound as acrimonious as posters/media are making it sound.  

I get what you're saying, but if I'm a player or an agent I don't want to go to Forge if I think they play games. The CPL (and its clubs) need to be developmental if they are to survive and therefore Forge should be looking at the big picture.

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

I get what you're saying, but if I'm a player or an agent I don't want to go to Forge if I think they play games. The CPL (and its clubs) need to be developmental if they are to survive and therefore Forge should be looking at the big picture.

Forge literally just sold their best defender this offseason and their best defender the previous season left to USL. This seems to be an isolated incident.

26 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Forge literally just sold their best defender this offseason and their best defender the previous season left to USL. This seems to be an isolated incident.

Neither of those players were sold, assuming you’re referring to Rama and Krutzen

Edit: Nevermimd, I forgot about James but yeah Krutzen was not sold

Edited by Atlantic