Woobens Pacius

Stryker911

8 hours ago, yothat2 said:

If I were him .. just play for Haiti .. 

If you were him you would be a 20 year old, born and raised in Canada who's having a breakout rookie season as a professional.  And yet you would already be giving up on any hope of ever playing for Canada?   Really?

Why are you here then?   

12 hours ago, yothat2 said:

If I were him .. just play for Haiti .. 

No way.  Not until he knows where he stands within the Canadian setup - which he won’t know for at least a couple of years.  we are co-hosting a WC in 5 years.  It isn’t impossible that he could be part of that setup if he gets on the right path.  Why throw that chance out the window so that he can suit up for a CONCACAF country that will be hard pressed to do anything of note over that same period?

Haiti consistently falls into the 8-12 range in CONCACAF and their chances of making the World Cup is fairly slim.

I can’t see a reason why a player who is from Canada would choose to represent Haiti if there’s any chance they progress to the Canadian program level.

He’s only 20 and a first year pro.  He should wait, develop and try to make Canada before setting with Haiti.  

If anything, he could do the Luke Singh approach. Play for Haiti's youth teams (since won't cap tie him) get those opportunities, then go to some Canada camps. If he feels he can make Canada, make the switch, otherwise stay with Haiti. Heck he's still under 21, he could grab a couple senior Haiti caps and keep the Canada option open, but definitely leave the option open if he feels he can/wants to make Canada. 

37 minutes ago, rydermike said:

If anything, he could do the Luke Singh approach. Play for Haiti's youth teams (since won't cap tie him) get those opportunities, then go to some Canada camps. If he feels he can make Canada, make the switch, otherwise stay with Haiti. Heck he's still under 21, he could grab a couple senior Haiti caps and keep the Canada option open, but definitely leave the option open if he feels he can/wants to make Canada. 

This 

I was an early poster on him- seems to have a good footy presence about him when he plays- not sure this is the best forum for the following comments but one thing that needs to play into any decision is the national team “ infrastructure “ when choosing a team. 

Namely, we saw that when Haiti had a sh*t show getting players into the US for that series we had in Chicago against them, overlay that with what recently happened to Jamaica with players in and out of the lineup for them the last window and that needs to play into any future decision.

Our hockey teams are the gold standard for that and a model for Canada footy to emulate and as our Men’s team continues to grow interest within Canada - surely the sponsorship money will follow and continuing to grow the infrastructure and support mechanisms too. 

I recall maybe the Dias forum where a family member mentioned that as one of the items related to choosing the team 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

From this Haitian website, basically sounds like he wants to play for Canada. Will join Haiti if it doesn't work out, but for now he'll wait.

Between Canada and the Haitian national football team, Pacius did not hide his desire to wear the colors of one of his selections. Pacius said that at his young age the opportunities to play for the Canadian national team are still on his way there and that he too is waiting for this opportunity. The young striker also said that he does not rule out the possibility of playing for the Haitian national team, moreover his club teammate Garven Michée Metusala has often spoken about it. So Woobens said that his final choice will be known shortly (perhaps even before the end of the year).

So we hope that he will stay on the same line and that he will choose to join us shortly to strengthen our group.

https://sportpassionht.com/?p=5729

1 hour ago, PopePouri said:

All that tells me is that he's just a poacher (an incredible one) and he doesn't do a lot off the ball. 

That's true, but to be fair, that's all he's asked to do in Forge's system. The centre forward is almost never involved in the build-up. We've always had wings that are good dribblers, so the attack into the box usually comes from the wings through dribbles or crosses, rarely down the middle. Bekker and Hojabrpour rarely carry it into the box and generally don't try to move the ball up through the middle unless its a long pass, which they don't do all that much. I'm a little surprised that he basically doesn't register on pressures, but I wouldn't call Forge a high-pressing team generally. Welshman is a little more active that way when he's on.

The thing I've noticed about Pacius is that he has a bit of an unusual running style. It appears that he doesn't accelerate very quickly and he doesn't have a really smooth gait. I don't actually know if the acceleration thing is true, but it looks that way from the stands. He's not a guy that you see play and think, 'Wow, that guy looks great out there!', he just puts the ball in the net, which is what matters. He could still improve his control on hard passes. I doubt he will ever develop into a strong dribbler.

we need consistent U23 camps....I've probably said this 20x now.

It's the only way we can keep guys active in the program, while also staying familiar with the next talent. Too many times it's just guys bundled together, and expecting something spectacular....but again I've said this already. 

Edited by Shway

1 hour ago, Shway said:

we need consistent U23 camps....I've probably said this 20x now.

It's the only way we can keep guys active in the program, while also staying familiar with the next talent. Too many times it's just guys bundled together, and expecting something spectacular....but again I've said this already. 

Yep, even though they haven't qualified for anything, friendlies and invitationals are always available. Guys like Sean Young, Isaiah Johnston, Pacius and Deandre Kerr all deserve some international footy. 

If we can't give a guy senior international football and they have that option elsewhere, we need to find routes to keep them home.

8 minutes ago, VinceA said:

Yep, even though they haven't qualified for anything, friendlies and invitationals are always available. Guys like Sean Young, Isaiah Johnston, Pacius and Deandre Kerr all deserve some international footy. 

If we can't give a guy senior international football and they have that option elsewhere, we need to find routes to keep them home.

Big facts. Sean Rhea, JRR, Yao, Lotori,  and  Pepple to name a few more.

We have guys holding on when quiet frankly they shouldn't. Garven was a guy that I think if he had some reps for Canada he would logically stick around, and could gain additional exposure from having those caps. 

We need to be more proactive vs reactive.....yes these young guys should make a name for themselves, but the scouting and camps can provide additional help to get them onto the next level. Right now we are reactive, where any player coming onto the scene or making moves is a surprise.