World Cup Qualifying Third Round Match Day 1: Canada Honduras - Thursday, September 2nd, 2021 - BMO Field, Toronto.

Cblake

On 8/29/2021 at 11:00 AM, admin said:

Should we have a pool going on both how many minutes into the broadcast they mention a certain score, and how many times they mention it?

"As we watch this game unfold, just another reminder. If Honduras can manage to get out of their own half and nick a goal before Canada scores again, this will be the opposite scoreline from what we saw 9 years ago. That being said, Canada looks more likely to pick up a 9th first."

2 minutes ago, Kent said:

"As we watch this game unfold, just another reminder. If Honduras can manage to get out of their own half and nick a goal before Canada scores again, this will be the opposite scoreline from what we saw 9 years ago. That being said, Canada looks more likely to pick up a 9th first."

Can I put $50 on that not happening?  Would be the happiest $50 anyone has lost ever.

13 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Can I put $50 on that not happening?  Would be the happiest $50 anyone has lost ever.

You don't want that to be said by the commentator? Or you don't want Canada to be up 8-0 and smothering Honduras?

First time post, long time lurker (because my account wouldn't get accepted for a while)

I understand the debate around rotating the squad for the game vs the States, but why are we acting like rotating the squad presents such a massive drop off in quality? Our squad, with the exception of a few presumed starters like Atiba and Vitoria, are young enough and fit enough to at least play 2.5 out of the 3 games. Would starting say Larin and Hoilett together for any of the 2nd or 3rd match and then subbing on David for Larin at half/60 mins (use David/Larin interchangeably in this scenario) really be that detrimental? Same could be said for starting Laryea over Buchanan. Yes its a step down, but I'm still confident in that switch. The only position where I'm not fully confident in rotating is at CB, and even there I think we're looking at a drop in chemistry more-so than quality when it comes to rotating the CBs.

Regardless, I think expectation for this window is 6 points minimum, but I don't see us sacrificing as much quality as some people are making it sound. If anything, I love being able to start a player like Laryea who can piss off the opposition to no end as a "rotation option". Let's just batter the States and sub the big boys off for some well earned rest at that point, eh

ps if anyone knows how to change an account name, pls let me know 

6 minutes ago, Kent said:

You don't want that to be said by the commentator? Or you don't want Canada to be up 8-0 and smothering Honduras?

I don’t think I’ll ever hear that as I don’t see us 8-0 up and would be happy to put $50 on it not happening.  

2 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

First time post, long time lurker (because my account wouldn't get accepted for a while)

I understand the debate around rotating the squad for the game vs the States, but why are we acting like rotating the squad presents such a massive drop off in quality? Our squad, with the exception of a few presumed starters like Atiba and Vitoria, are young enough and fit enough to at least play 2.5 out of the 3 games. Would starting say Larin and Hoilett together for any of the 2nd or 3rd match and then subbing on David for Larin at half/60 mins (use David/Larin interchangeably in this scenario) really be that detrimental? Same could be said for starting Laryea over Buchanan. Yes its a step down, but I'm still confident in that switch. The only position where I'm not fully confident in rotating is at CB, and even there I think we're looking at a drop in chemistry more-so than quality when it comes to rotating the CBs.

Regardless, I think expectation for this window is 6 points minimum, but I don't see us sacrificing as much quality as some people are making it sound. If anything, I love being able to start a player like Laryea who can piss off the opposition to no end as a "rotation option". Let's just batter the States and sub the big boys off for some well earned rest at that point, eh

ps if anyone knows how to change an account name, pls let me know 

Until I read this I thought "Cool Handle". Keep it!

7 minutes ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

I wonder how we will set up with our starters back. Davies replacing layrea  spot ?

--------------David-----Larin-----------

Davies--Kaye--Eustaquio--Hutchinson--Buchanan

---------Miller---Vitoria--Johnson-------------

------------------Borjan-----------------------

I bet we see this.

Maybe Osorio for Kaye, Kennedy for Miller, or Crepeau for Borjan, but I think everything else is set in stone.

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

--------------David-----Larin-----------

Davies--Kaye--Eustaquio--Hutchinson--Buchanan

---------Miller---Vitoria--Johnson-------------

------------------Borjan-----------------------

I bet we see this.

Maybe Osorio for Kaye, Kennedy for Miller, or Crepeau for Borjan, but I think everything else is set in stone.

Too much talk of wingbacks (and lack of winger call ups) for me to expect that will not be the base formation.  I might pull David back a bit but basically the same.

4 hours ago, RS said:

The same guy who loudly wanted Canada to throw away their Gold Cup chances is now attacking other posters for having a "soft, non-competitive mentality" when suggesting that the strongest starting XI cannot be trotted out three times in eight days.

You can't make this up.

(I'll probably be called a bully for this post now)

What an obsession you've got with me man, but I see you never post anything lately anyways if it's not feeding off the crumbs from one of my posts.

Or from one of the other relevant posters here. 

Back to the thread, @RS you don't get to derail this one too.

4 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Interesting debate re USA game and some good points by both @Unnamed Trialist& @Obinna. We still need  6 points from the 2 home games...the question is can our 2nd XI get the job done vs ES keeping in mind knocks/cards in the 1st 2 games. Would feel better if we brought 26 players and not just fill ins for practice. 

We still don't have Cavallini healthy. I've thought about this a bit more and just today was thinking, yeah, call in Tesho again, throw that body up against some CBs if needed. I'm not backtracking, just thinking that games have permutations any competent pro can help you fix in a crunch. 

Just now, Club Linesman said:

I assume due to Covid and the closing of the usual establishment that there is no formal meet up pre -game?

Down to one place. If they agree to it, we can go there.  But they have not decided yet. 

We have a small back up that is willing to take us. But it only holds like 30 people inside, 20 out.    Probably just a place for members to pick up flags and maybe a few people squeeze in a beer.

Will post when I know the details. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What's the better selling point? The hashtag or the shirt tag?

image.png.a478b49db45d6b37b2fcd4db0c1de4b9.png

Yeah, sometimes you get a mix when you are ordering.  Jerzees and FOL were essentially the same shirt. 

We are going to switch to Canadian made shirts by Jerico.  You can check them out here https://jerico.ca/

I still have a pile of random blank inventory left.  Was thinking of dumping a bunch for free if people wanted them with this on it.  Just want to make space and get rid of stuff.

8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

I will bet Atiba does one of two things:

1) flies back to Istanbul after the US game or 

2) hangs out in Toronto between the two home matches.

My guess is 1).

I would agree with this. These 3 game windows will come thick and fast. We've got mission critical games against Jamaica and Panama in the next window. Four weeks between windows in which time he'll have 7 club matches, including CL against Dortmund and Ajax. Like it or not, Beşiktaş will not be managing his minutes for the benefit of Canadian soccer, so we should get him a week off to rest.  

4 hours ago, johnyb said:

It's not uncommon for players in Europe to play Thurs, Sunday, Wed. Especially if they're getting subbed after 60.

This is completely doable, agreed.

Ridiculous the same people here who wanted to squeeze the hell out of players for the GC, leaving them without offseason rest and cutting short their pre-seasons, now are the prophets of squad rotation. When if we'd let them rest and prep they'd be optimum now, when it counts.