World Cup Qualifying Third Round Match Day 1: Canada Honduras - Thursday, September 2nd, 2021 - BMO Field, Toronto.

Cblake

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Taking intentional yellows would be nonsensical at this stage and with this format IMO. It made sense in the Gold Cup but it doesn't make sense here. This is more akin to a league format and every game is important.

We have a squad with depth and we should let the cards fall as they may and trust our players to get the job done.

Just to play devil's advocate - if Davies were to miss any match I would probably want him to miss ES at home anyhow.

I agree we shouldn’t be taking intentional yellows but I don’t agree that the US away game is as important as the ES home game.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

Why is that? Even if they rest him I would hope he stays around the team ala Cavallini.

I would love him to stay as part of the leadership group, and he may do so by choice.  Perhaps I read too much into what happened in March; and El Salvador is definitely not the Caymans.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

That's not my point. My line of thinking is that we should be able to beat ES at home even without Davies. 

Agree that we should be - but anything can happen and would rather have Davies and put us in the best place to get the 3 points.

6 minutes ago, Alex said:

I really want us to put our best out versus the Americans. Two reasons: so I can see with my own eyes how good we really are and so we can shut their mouths again since they keep saying online that we didn’t beat their best in October 2019. 

There's going to be a game where everyone has to play a lineup that is not full of first choice players..everyone has to play the long game and weigh the risk/reward...

I think the ratio is out of whack personally for Canada to throw out their best lineup vs the US on the road and then in that final game at home you throw out a mostly 2nd choice team because its a 3rd game in  7 days...the odds of a loss away vs the US even w/a first choice squad & then possibly drawing a desperate ES squad at home increase greatly and would be a borderline disaster..

13 minutes ago, Alex said:

I really want us to put our best out versus the Americans. Two reasons: so I can see with my own eyes how good we really are and so we can shut their mouths again since they keep saying online that we didn’t beat their best in October 2019. 

I'd have to disagree. We have to put our pride aside and think strategically and long term to secure that 3rd or 4th place.  Dropped points at home vs Honduras and El Salvador would be disasterous, a loss to the States not so much. IMO top squads should be dressed vs Honduras and El Salvador, take care of business those two games, anything else against the States is gravy. 

Edited by king1010

2 minutes ago, king1010 said:

I'd have to disagree. We have to put our pride aside and think strategically and long term to secure that 3rd or 4th place.  Dropped points at home vs Honduras and El Salvador would be disasterous, a loss to the States not so much. IMO top squads should be dressed vs Honduras and El Salvador, take care of business those two games, anything else against the States is gravy. 

Exactly...I think you play the rotational lineup on the road in Nashville and you muck it up and maybe if its tied late or you are down a goal you bring in your big guns for the last 20 min. and make a run at a late goal to steal a point or three

5 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Agreed.  Any sort of revenge mission against the US needs to take a (very distant) backseat to optimizing our point tally.  Any risk of stumbling against ES at home needs to be minimized.   And if that means we have to deal with a bit of US gloating, so be it.  Qatar is the goal.  Eyes on the prize.  

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Surprised they are staying that far away from BMO Field.

1) Easier access for travel in a coach bus and cheaper

2 hours ago, Cblake said:

Absolutely, I do wonder where they end up training. Have they made a deal with the Oakville Soccer Club or something similar to use their fields?

2) We aren't actually giving them access to train at BMO Field until the day before (Wednesday).

The day before is the minimum that is required (should the away team request it).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 minute ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) Easier access for travel in a coach bus and cheaper

I understand the cheaper part but don't get what you mean about "easier access for travel". How would travelling from Oakville be easier than downtown Toronto?

2 minutes ago, RS said:

I understand the cheaper part but don't get what you mean about "easier access for travel". How would travelling from Oakville be easier than downtown Toronto?

Sorry, I should have been clearer, assuming the are travelling to some suburban training pitches (Oakville) just as often (or more often) than they are to BMO Field.

48 minutes ago, Alex said:

And another reason: they may be coming back from El Salvador tired, or with a poor result, and vulnerable. So you absolutely must hit them as hard as possible. 

I don't mind the speculations about rotation or priorities, but it has to go only one way: first match, the best XI and best subs for the result. Next day: reset, same thing all over again. Repeat twelve more times. 

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Sorry, I should have been clearer, assuming the are travelling to some suburban training pitches (Oakville) just as often (or more often) than they are to BMO Field.

Yes, that makes sense.

At least TFC didn't (presumably) rent time at their training ground to the Hondurans like they did for Panama back in 2012 🙄

7 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

And another reason: they may be coming back from El Salvador tired, or with a poor result, and vulnerable. So you absolutely must hit them as hard as possible. 

I don't mind the speculations about rotation or priorities, but it has to go only one way: first match, the best XI and best subs for the result. Next day: reset, same thing all over again. Repeat twelve more times. 

I'd argue the opposite, if they come back from El Salvador with less than 3 points, they're going to be like a wounded animal and hellbent on securing 3 points at home vs Canada. 

With regards to playing the best XI every match and resetting the next day with the same thing all over again, sure it's great in theory, but in reality isn't feasible when you have 3 games in 6 days. 

Edited by king1010

40 minutes ago, king1010 said:

This is the soft, non-competitive mentality that gets us screwed over and over again. And also explains a lot about other things.

You have to play the first match. Next day, rest and check knocks; and that afternoon, work on the tactics for the next match. Then restart. The US could be coming back from El Salvador vulnerable, having travelled far more than us, with a tighter turnaround, and maybe coming off not winning in ES. It is in fact one of our best chances to take away points due to scheduling, it is optimal. But you figure it can be squandered, lucky you are not on the team staff.

Anyways, what dummy thinks gravy is worth anything, it's unhealthy, it's on poutine. And poutine is just a runny joke.

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This is the soft, non-competitive mentality that gets us screwed over and over again. And also explains a lot about other things.

You have to play the first match. Next day, rest and check knocks; and that afternoon, work on the tactics for the next match. Then restart. The US could be coming back from El Salvador vulnerable, having travelled far more than us, with a tighter turnaround, and maybe coming off not winning in ES. It is in fact one of our best chances to take away points due to scheduling, it is optimal. But you figure it can be squandered, lucky you are not on the team staff.

Anyways, what dummy thinks gravy is worth anything, it's unhealthy, it's on poutine. And poutine is just a runny joke.

Ya we'll have to agree to disagree. And I don't appreciate the personal attacks. 

Cheers. 

Although I did suggest the yellow card thing earlier (which was more if the team itself is going to make this rotation a designated strategy) I fully agree there is no reason that these guys can't play 210-240 minutes over the three matches.

Especially with the five subs, Borjan/Davies/David/Buchanan/Eustaquio/whatever 3 CB's they like should be starting every match.

e: Larin in this window too with Cavallini not being healthy.

Edited by theaub

2 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

Davies David Buchanan

Osorio Eustaquio Hutchinson

Laryea Kennedy Vitoria Johnston

Borjan

This formation morphs into a 3-5-2 with Davies and Laryea as wingbacks quite easily.

Larin, Hoilett, Kaye sit.  Tough to sit Larin but I think he is the natural sub for David, and Buchanan is our most in form player.  We need Laryea's toughness and Concacafyness out there and Buchanan scores when he plays closer to goal.

Osorio always does well for Canada at BMO, he will be a beast out there.  

Borjan has the experience to get the job done.  Wouldn't be surprised if Crepeau gets a game this window.

I like this a lot except I’d play a 4-2-3-1 and drop Osorio for Larin and have David slide in at AM.

A top 4 of Davies, David, Larin and Buchanan is likely the best front 4 in all of CONCACAF and without a doubt the best top 4 that Canada has ever fielded.