World Cup Qualifying Third Round Match Day 1: Canada Honduras - Thursday, September 2nd, 2021 - BMO Field, Toronto.

Cblake

32 minutes ago, Floortom said:

If we assume we were always only going to call in 23 then it’s hard to find a spot for him. He’s also only played 20 minutes of club football in the last five weeks since the cold cup.

but if your question is more along the lines of why we didn’t call more than 23 players like every other team did…who knows.

Thanks for the reply, may I be so bold to ask why Arfield is not here ?

I find myself wondering what kind of research, intel or sources that a national side has at its disposal to plan and book these kind of arrangements.   Oakville is not on any tourist map, so How would someone from Honduras know about Oakville and that that there is a decent holiday Inn there and that there is Appleby college there,  and that their soccer facilities would be up to standards,  that the commute to the facility is simple, that the commute to BMO is faster than if you were downtown,  and the community would be a quaint and more upscale one where people mind their own business rather than an unsafe one, etc etc…. These are things that only people who live here know.     How do you know all this if you are sitting in an office in Tegucigalpa or San Pedro Sula and tasked with making these arrangements.    Its perfect arrangement if you ask me.

Imagine if anyone of us were tasked with with making the same kind of arrangements for canada when traveling to Honduras or mexico.  How would you go about doing it?  We would not know Honduras so the obvious choice would be to pick an area near the stadium or in a downtown core rather than some burrough you have never heard of.  But that might not be the best situation and it might cause hassels and distractions for team and its preparation.  You might end up picking a  place where you have people show up and make noise at 2am like what happened in Panama last time. 

Edited by Free kick

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

I find myself wondering what kind of research, intel or sources that a national side has at its disposal to plan and book these kind of arrangements.   How would someone from Honduras know about Oakville and that that there is a decent holiday Inn there and that there is Appleby college there,  and that their soccer facilities would be up to standards,  that the commute to the facility is simple, and time to get to BMO field is reasonable, and the community would be a quaint and more upscale one rather than an unsafe one, etc etc…. These are things that only people who live here know.     How do you know all this if you are sitting in an office in Tegucigalpa or San Pedro Sula and tasked with making these arrangements.    Its perfect arrangement if you ask me.

Imagine if anyone of us were tasked with with making the same kind of arrangements for canada when traveling to Honduras or mexico.  How would you go about doing it?  We would not know Honduras so the obvious choice would be to pick an area near the stadium or in a downtown core rather than some burrough you have never heard of.  But that might not be the best situation and it might cause hassels and distractions for team and its preparation.  

A school like Appleby likely has a boarding student will Honduran ties, either politically or business, whatever it may be. Schools like these have kids from all over the world. 

34 minutes ago, Cblake said:

A school like Appleby likely has a boarding student will Honduran ties, either politically or business, whatever it may be. Schools like these have kids from all over the world. 

Well you gotta hand it to them in that case.  Might it be something the consulate is engaged for?   Look at what happened to canada in panama last time with hotel fiasco.   They (Their FA) seems to have big advantage over us (The CSA) when it comes to this stuff.  These are small things, but small things add up.  And they might explain in small part why we have pnt had more success in our resgion.

Edited by Free kick

6 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Well you gotta hand it to them in that case.   Look at what happened to canada in panama last time with hotel fiasco.   They (Their FA) seems to have big advantage over us (The CSA) when it comes to this stuff.  These are small things, but small things add up.  And they might explain in small part why we have pnt had more success in our resgion.

A little known nugget is that Panama was staying at the same hotel as Canada in 2012. They were just on the opposite side of the building. 

5 hours ago, narduch said:

Mexican Ref Crew.

image.png.d7aa10c5d087765d39beb6c4325a0e69.png

I thought having a Mexican in the Gold Cup vs the US would be to our benefit, but he did everything he could to screw us over. He missed that call for the penalty, he did not think there was even a foul on Ayo, the rest was a mess as well. We had to fight through him to get to the good stint in the 2nd half.

It was frustrating, and he let himself be fondled and coddled by the Americans. I was frankly surprised by the partiality, but I also have this opinion: we have to do so much better when it comes to handling the refs when on the pitch. Not these lame "who took the last cookie" faces when we don't get a call. We have players who speak Spanish and they have to respectfully get in there and tell them off.

I bet Honduras will be playing for cards against us and fouls and everything else in the first 15-20 minutes. Their game plan will be to disrupt us, fairly or cheaply, and get away with it to frustrate us. If they can manhandle Davies they will. Borjan will have to be ready for cheap shots. Their idea has to be to nab one early and defend it like hell before we get ours. 

6 hours ago, Bobcat said:

Does anybody know why Corbeanu is not with the Team ?

He has also just came off some kind of illness and needs to find his feet in that team.  Someone posted on here somewhere the speculation that he would be starting in the Papa Johns Trophy this week (tonight actually),  which would be a great showcase and chance to get some match fitness. 

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I wonder where Adekugbe fits in all this, not much talk around here about him.

Probably as a late game sub for when we try to get Davies rest or move Davies further up the pitch at the end of matches. I’m hoping Davies can start every match, but if that’s not the plan, Adekugbe is the obvious replacement in the starting lineup.

21 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

1) Easier access for travel in a coach bus and cheaper

2) We aren't actually giving them access to train at BMO Field until the day before (Wednesday).

The day before is the minimum that is required (should the away team request it).

Really hoping for some awesome GTA rush hour traffic on Thursday! 33km = 2-3 hour sitting on a bus pre game type of thing. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Lol this is not true. 

The 5-7 PM traffic is heading out of downtown.  And the traffic congestion for the eastbound QEW is at Ford drive.   So you have a far easier commute to BMO field if you are in Oakville or Mississauga than if you are Dwntwn.  I have experiened it myself whereby i met up someone during a weekday game while i was in mississauga and got to the exhibition stop on the Go line in far faster time and in a far less painful experience than when i was leaving the downtown offices.  One time i was with a group and one booked a UBER from downtown.   It took forever to get to BMO.  

no,  this true. Thats why i am impressed with how they booked this. 

Edited by Free kick

Not sure why we're making it like the Hondurans are pulling some Carmen Sandiego level geographical sleuthing here.

We don't even know where Canada stays/trains 90% of the time.  Honduras can just outright state where they're staying/training because they know no one will do anything.  Completely different ballgame.

Also, although it is meaningless, there is absolutely zero chance Honduras has an easier commute to BMO than we do from the Delta.

21 minutes ago, theaub said:

there is absolutely zero chance Honduras has an easier commute to BMO than we do from the Delta.

Then i would invite you guys to try it.  And do a test.  Do something like an Amazing Race Canada Game.   Place yourself in Oakville at the same time as some collegues downtown.  Do this from 5-7 PM on a weeknight.   Have race to BMO field and see who gets there quicker.  Assume you have access to motor vehicles and other options to leverage from.

Edited by Free kick

9 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Then i would invite you guys to try it.  And do a test.  Do something like an Amazing Race Canada Game.   Place yourself in Oakville at the same time as some collegues downtown.  Do this from 5-7 PM on a weeknight.   Have race to BMO field and see who gets there quicker.  

I mean theres a much simpler way to do it. Go on Google maps today and map each route today at 5pm. I work in the office tower right beside the Delta so I know how bad the traffic is to just get out of the core at times. But I would say 95%+ of the time you can get to BMO field faster than coming from the Oakville holiday inn

Edited by Floortom

Honduras will likely switch hotels tomorrow to something downtown. There's no way they are going to commute during rush hour from Oakville to Toronto two days in a row (they are training at BMO Field Wednesday evening).

And no, it's not faster to get from the centre of Oakville to BMO Field than it would be from a downtown Toronto hotel. Come on.

5 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I mean theres a much simpler way to do it. Go on Google maps today and map each route today at 5pm. I work in the office tower right beside the Delta so I know how bad the traffic is to just get out of the core at times. But I would say 95%+ of the time you can get to BMO field faster than coming from the Oakville holiday inn

Isn't this traffic debate moot. If the game starts at 8 PM (or 7:30), I doubt very much the teams will be leaving for the stadium at 5 or 4.

13 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Isn't this traffic debate moot. If the game starts at 8 PM (or 7:30), I doubt very much the teams will be leaving for the stadium at 5 or 4.

What time do you think teams show up for games?

They are usually in the stadium hours beforehand.