SpecialK

Gareth Wheeler  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Wheeler be doing the play-by-play for Canada games

• Yes
    • No

22 hours ago, sstackho said:

Hopefully they do not. 

Didn't expect them to do it as ESPN likes former players. And they just selected 6 of them. It's hit & miss with former players and there is always growing pains vs having a seasoned analyst. But it isn't the first rodeo for McManaman.

At least on the English side, we'll finally get some non-British perspectives on Canadian tv (assuming TSN is just picking up the ESPN feed as is).

08-02-21-LaLiga_Talent_Header--780x470.jpg

Edited by red card

Thanks for posting Richie's comments. I watched the TFC game last night and Wileman was pronouncing it La-Ray-ah and I didn't know what to think. I've also heard Herdman say Cor-bin-ow for Corbeanu, which Wheeler said one time but was mostly saying Cor-bin-oo.

Maybe the next roster announcement should have a little video showing the players faces announcing themselves so we can hear how they say their own names.

P.S. I feel like Wheeler said at one point (on One Soccer Today I think) that he has a learning disability. Is there one that would cover his name pronunciations?

P.P.S. Interesting that Laryea said nobody asked him about the pronunciation, because I feel like Wheeler claimed that the new pronunciation was at Laryea's request.

6 hours ago, Kent said:

P.S. I feel like Wheeler said at one point (on One Soccer Today I think) that he has a learning disability. Is there one that would cover his name pronunciations?

No.

I think it has more to do with wheels needing to go straight to the players and asking how they want their names pronounced. Right now I feel like he's just over-thinking it and guessing.

9 hours ago, red card said:

Didn't expect them to do it as ESPN likes former players. And they just selected 6 of them. It's hit & miss with former players and there is always growing pains vs having a seasoned analyst. But it isn't the first rodeo for McManaman.

At least on the English side, we'll finally get some non-British perspectives on Canadian tv (assuming TSN is just picking up the ESPN feed as is).

08-02-21-LaLiga_Talent_Header--780x470.jpg

Zabaleta is a class and intelligent individual.  Met once and tried not overtax his time but he was very gracious. Never heard him do commentary and hope it goes well for him.

That is it really. 

(And McManaman's voice does my head in. Maybe because it reminds me of Stevie G and bad memories) 

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Zabaleta is a class and intelligent individual.  Met once and tried not overtax his time but he was very gracious. Never heard him do commentary and hope it goes well for him.

That is it really. 

(And McManaman's voice does my head in. Maybe because it reminds me of Stevie G and bad memories) 

Scousers all sound like a screeching weasel.  It's like nails on a chalkboard

On 8/3/2021 at 6:57 PM, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

That is it really. 

I have no issue with his voice, just the moronic things he says in that voice. 

On 8/3/2021 at 4:02 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Like this.

That is even hard for Spaniards (it's a Basque name BTW)

Stephen Eustaquio had a short video from Canada Soccer, I believe when he was announced as having committed to Canada. It started with him saying "I'm Stephen Eustaquio", clearly pronouncing it Steffen rather than Steven. I didn't remember seeing this, and had definitely heard it pronounced Steven since then, many times. Was never too sure which pronunciation it should be until youtube popped up that old video recently and I rewatched it.

On 8/2/2021 at 5:50 PM, Kent said:

P.P.S. Interesting that Laryea said nobody asked him about the pronunciation, because I feel like Wheeler claimed that the new pronunciation was at Laryea's request.

I had this thought too. I can't remember exactly what Wheeler said, and I don't feel like watching the replay of the game as I don't know what minute Wheeler talked about that. It is possible that Wheeler simply said that Laryea said the Ghanaian pronunciation is Lah-yee, without claiming that he spoke to Laryea, but I really can't remember at this point.

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

I feel dirty for admitting this... but I'm starting to find Wheeler's over the top cringeness quite endearing... he's cringe, but he's our cringe. Hearing Dunfield and Wheels fanboy commentary is quite hilarious, don't think I'd have it any other way now.

I think that’s called Stockholm syndrome. 

The same thing over and over...doesnt anyone watch the Mexican feed??  Read what the mexican journos say??  To say our guys are over the top is crazy.  The mexican announcer literally screamed for 90 seconds after mexico got that first goal the other night.  GOLLLL GOL GOL GOL GOOOOOOOLLL GOOLLLLL< LLLLLLOOOOOOOGGGGOOOLLLLLL!!!!! Pause for breath..GOLLLLLLLLLL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!  And he is used to Mexcio winning and scoring all the time.  The puns and stupid nicknames can go, but drop the excitement and if they are homers...well who else is going to be a homer for canada???  

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

The same thing over and over...doesnt anyone watch the Mexican feed??  Read what the mexican journos say??  To say our guys are over the top is crazy.  The mexican announcer literally screamed for 90 seconds after mexico got that first goal the other night.  GOLLLL GOL GOL GOL GOOOOOOOLLL GOOLLLLL< LLLLLLOOOOOOOGGGGOOOLLLLLL!!!!! Pause for breath..GOLLLLLLLLLL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOL GOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!  And he is used to Mexcio winning and scoring all the time.  The puns and stupid nicknames can go, but drop the excitement and if they are homers...well who else is going to be a homer for canada???  

Why do we need a homer lol why can't we just have someone who recognizes the good stuff and calls out the bad stuff... without ruining goal calls.

8 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

I'd much rather have an excited guy than the stuffy BBC "golf announcer", that we usually get.  The other countries have unashamed homers, loud screamers, idiotic rrrr rollers etc etc.  I still think the 2 of them need to fine tune things but they arent near as bad as plenty of others out there.  

The token BBC golf announcers can be boring but there's a reason they get hired - they know what calls for what. Wheeler/Dunfield just don't match that professional standard that gets someone to leave the TV on. I'm trying to imagine myself getting into a new sport, and I hear the commentator going on these 15 minute rants about other fans on social media, these silly calls after goals, the color commentator yelling over the play by play, these very uncomfortable callouts where Wheeler will berate the spectators for not supporting the team... it's ridiculous. I get that it's fun to have someone supportive in the booth but they also need to take their jobs seriously.

5 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

... it's ridiculous. I get that it's fun to have someone supportive in the booth but they also need to take their jobs seriously.

If their job is to entertain, I'd say they are doing just fine.... "Oh Canada, Oh baby!" bahahaha, that shit is so cheesy but gets me all the time (and Wheels himself seems aware of it, which makes it even funnier)

Edited by LeoH037

21 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

If their job is to entertain, I'd say they are doing just fine.... "Oh Canada, Oh baby!" bahahaha, that shit is so cheesy but gets me all the time (and Wheels himself seems aware of it, which makes it even funnier)

I feel like you can entertain without doing the stuff Wheeler/Dunfield do. 

That is one of the rare calls where that cheese sorta works... there's nothing wrong with a bit of that. But 'Here's Johnny,' 'ZeeBeeGee' 'Rich get richer...' oof. It takes me right out.

5 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

I feel like you can entertain without doing the stuff Wheeler/Dunfield do. 

That is one of the rare calls where that cheese sorta works... there's nothing wrong with a bit of that. But 'Here's Johnny,' 'ZeeBeeGee' 'Rich get richer...' oof. It takes me right out.

"Here's Johnny" just makes me cringe each and every time. Wheels just needs to tone it down at times, he would be better for it. Some of his shrieks just remind me too much of some wannabe on local cable access broadcast.