TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Can’t really remember another game where TFC gave up 3 incredibly-feces-ridden goals. I don’t think the Marco Velez-Nick Garcia- Joseph Nane-Ty Harden years can compete with the three triple-sized dollops of Zebra-manure the back five gave up today. 

It was bad.   But on slightly other topic (this is not an excuse for the poor start this season) but why the fuck was this game not played an BMO field given that the Montreal Canadiens and Vegas Golden Knights are able to cross the border and play in each others arena without any quarantine  restrictions.   The hypocracy of it all is maddening.  We are not just a country of only hockey players anymore.  There are lots of other sports we are good at,  and yet governments and other instituions still have a double standards of prefrenetial treatment for Hockey and hockey players.   Basketball (NBA and Okympic), MLB baseball, Tennis, soccer, and several other sports are biting the bullet as a result of the restrictions but not the NHL.   If the same restrictions applied to the Habs and the NHL,  then i wouldnt be typing this post.  

funny how we used to hear in past years of the odd american athlete (like NBA player)  who would spurn playing in canada.  I know that many of their reasons were stupid,   but every now and then, something like  this comes up and you say, maybe they have a point.

Edited by Free kick

2 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Can’t really remember another game where TFC gave up 3 incredibly-feces-ridden goals. I don’t think the Marco Velez-Nick Garcia- Joseph Nane-Ty Harden years can compete with the three triple-sized dollops of Zebra-manure the back five gave up today. 

the diff,is those guys made a combined 300k,these donkeys make like 3 mil

While our defence truly stinks (and that includes the two central d mids), what exactly was the logic in putting Morrow on as an attacking left winger early in the 2nd half? Game went right down the tubes when that happened, with Pozuelo amd Osorio off the battle for the midfield was lost and ultimately so was the game 

I have been waiting before saying anything about Armas because its still early.  But there has been more than a few things i found to be headscratching regarding TFC’s play this year.  Things that are or could be easily attributable to coaching or coaching decisions.

i dont inderstand why GM’s cant seem to look outside their comfort zone when they hire.  Bring in a GM from the Red bulls and then that GM hires a coach from the red bulls.   And then that coach starts to bring in players from the ReD bulls.  Well,  were the Red bulls really a signature club in MLS over the past 5-7 years?   Or a model club or organization to emulate?  I dont think so,  TFC had more success over that span than NYRB.   

Edit.:  i would add also that I am still not sure why Bezbatchenko was not re-signed and allowed to leave.  

Edited by Free kick

22 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Edit.:  i would add also that I am still not sure why Bezbatchenko was not re-signed and allowed to leave.  

Because Bez did what he wanted to do at TFC and wanted to go back to his hometown.

41 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

While our defence truly stinks (and that includes the two central d mids), what exactly was the logic in putting Morrow on as an attacking left winger early in the 2nd half? Game went right down the tubes when that happened, with Pozuelo amd Osorio off the battle for the midfield was lost and ultimately so was the game 

To quote Steven Caldwell, "shocking defending".  That was some of the worst I have seen in many years from TFC. And, I have no answers to the coaching decisions questioned by @Gian-Lucaand @Free kickabove. 

5 minutes ago, Yohan said:

Because Bez did what he wanted to do at TFC and wanted to go back to his hometown.

Ok but thats often an easy answer.  An answer that is often put out there for public consumption.    Bottom line,  if you really want to retain someone, you can do so.  Its always come down to $$$$$$.

9 hours ago, Free kick said:

Ok but thats often an easy answer.  An answer that is often put out there for public consumption.    Bottom line,  if you really want to retain someone, you can do so.  Its always come down to $$$$$$.

Depends on how much you believe in Maslow's hierarchy of needs

For some people, money isn't everything (although it is nice)

I was glad to see the Canadians do well, Osorio stamps his authority in the midfield, not only is he creative and scored the goal but he adds a defensive awareness which is important when Bradley and Delgado are counted on defensively! Laryea is always a threat going forward, a great dummy set up Oso's goal and although a very poor pass resulted in a good scoring chance for Nashville overall he is good on the defensive side of the ball, Okello in his limited minutes did well I thought, he is a beast to deal with on set pieces and he had some very important defensive headers! On the other side of the ball Johnston impresses me every time I watch him, he maybe should have been closer to Osorio on the goal but I'm going to put that down as a great pass and perfect run, he closed down every similar ball the rest of the way and man can he put in some good crosses, Armas seems a bit of a disaster!

32 minutes ago, Ruffian said:

Toronto FC were the better team until Armas made those changes. I hope it was a fitness reason Pozuelo and Osorio were pulled or else the loss is fully on Armas.

Apparently they were both feeling a tightness in the hamstrings and were pulled off for precautionary reasons. But in the case of Morrow, I question why he was brought on as the replacement for Osorio.

The backline is not peforming well defensively but they are probably under too much pressure in games like this when the midfield battle is badly lost, which happened after both those players left the field. Priso (who was on the bench) should have been subbed in as he will actually win the ball in midfield and help keep it. There's a reason why Bradley has said that he loves playing with Ralph, it's because Bradley isn't very effective in the middle of the park closing the down the opposition these days at his age and Ralph can do the work that he's no longer able to. Bradley's best games came when playing alongside Ralph and I don't think that's a coincidence.

12 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I thought it was perhaps to move Lawrence into a Back 3 with Mavinga and Zavaleta, and push up Bradley higher up the midfield to regain the strength that was lost when Osorio and Pozuelo departed.  Not sure that is what happened though.

1 hour ago, Metro said:

I thought it was perhaps to move Lawrence into a Back 3 with Mavinga and Zavaleta, and push up Bradley higher up the midfield to regain the strength that was lost when Osorio and Pozuelo departed.  Not sure that is what happened though.

As a TFC fan from a Canadian team perspective, you guys are right about Bradley. He is a shadow of his former self and while he can still make a fine play from time to time, he is so slow and often out of gas now. It must be frustrating that Armas plays him so faithfully and/or that the team does not seem to have a better option.

BTW, Okello looks like a player who just needs more minutes to develop.

Shame the best performance this year came from playing all the Canadian kids and now they can't get minutes. That defence is rotten. Maybe its too soon for them but I just can't see Singh and Dunn being worse than Zavaleta and Omar. 

Priso has looked solid everytime I have watch and as mentioned above there is definitely something there with Okello that he will only ever find by getting meaningful minutes. 

That is without mentioning Nelson/Shaffelburg/Rutty/Perruzza (when he returns). 

Delgado is a waste of a starting spot and who knows what is up with Auro. 

I was a big fan of Okello after the first set of Mexican matches in CL but when I see him now, he has all the tools and then some but he seems to cruise a lot and not really spot the danger on defense or the opportunities on the offensive end.  I think if he could improve that with a lot of coaching and get some grit about him, he could be great.