TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

10 hours ago, narduch said:

This forum is quiet in general. 

It helped that they had someone who could deliver set pieces (Soteldo) instead of Bradley

This was actually my biggest takeaway from the game from a TFC perspective (even though they scored on a Bradley-taken set piece), Soteldo took all the set pieces when he was on the field and he was excellent at them - delivered at pace at a relatively-flat trajectory to make things dangerous for the opposition. We might start seeing TFC score on more set pieces this year if he keeps that up.

It was nice that three of the aging Americans had a good match, but as others have mentioned, I expect a lot of that came from Columbus being really poor on the night and being depleted in midfield. When teams go after Bradley like NYRB did, it wasn't so encouraging - good for about 30 minutes and then he tires out. Having Priso doing so much of the high-speed running and ball-winning that Bradley can't do anymore really helps him though. Bradley praised Ralph post game which was nice to hear and well-deserved. I thought Priso was outstanding until the last five minutes on the field, he must have won 3 or 4 duels out there against much more experienced & high-profile players, just before he got taken off he did start to give the ball away. And based on the salary list just released, he's the best bargain for bucks that TFC has.

1 hour ago, Gian-Luca said:

This was actually my biggest takeaway from the game from a TFC perspective (even though they scored on a Bradley-taken set piece), Soteldo took all the set pieces when he was on the field and he was excellent at them - delivered at pace at a relatively-flat trajectory to make things dangerous for the opposition. We might start seeing TFC score on more set pieces this year if he keeps that up.

It was nice that three of the aging Americans had a good match, but as others have mentioned, I expect a lot of that came from Columbus being really poor on the night and being depleted in midfield. When teams go after Bradley like NYRB did, it wasn't so encouraging - good for about 30 minutes and then he tires out. Having Priso doing so much of the high-speed running and ball-winning that Bradley can't do anymore really helps him though. Bradley praised Ralph post game which was nice to hear and well-deserved. I thought Priso was outstanding until the last five minutes on the field, he must have won 3 or 4 duels out there against much more experienced & high-profile players, just before he got taken off he did start to give the ball away. And based on the salary list just released, he's the best bargain for bucks that TFC has.

Priso for me is the real deal and is proving it already. The other young Canadian that I think has shown well is Shaffelburgh . The verdict is still out on the other young Canadians that have played so far , but they are still young so they have time on their side . But Priso has really impressed and definitely deserves the playing time he is getting.

I should add, that was probably Altidore's best match since some time in 2019 and I'm not sure it's a coincidence that it is because he came on as a sub. Even though he is making millions as a DP, I think he will last longer & be more effective and pick up fewer injuries coming on as a super-sub against tired defences after Ayo has battled against them all night. His salary might indicate starter status, but look how that has panned out this year and last.

16 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Priso for me is the real deal and is proving it already. The other young Canadian that I think has shown well is Shaffelburgh . The verdict is still out on the other young Canadians that have played so far , but they are still young so they have time on their side . But Priso has really impressed and definitely deserves the playing time he is getting.

Ralph is well above the rest of the young TFC players. I dont think he will be in MLS for more than a year or two. 

Shaffleburg is too one dimensional, hes very fast and thats about it. He cant dribble or cut in and use his right foot. Theres a reason he has 0 career goals. 

Nelson isnt ready for MLS, he needs a loan. 

JMR needs to play and I have liked what I have seen from him in his limited time. He is already better than Nelson and Shaff imo. I would like to see him spot start and play 20-30 as a sub. 

Okello looks like a guy who doesnt know what his best position is. Hopefully the coaching staff figures that out soon and he could be a beast. 

I'd like to see a little more intensity/urgency from Okello, and even Priso.  Not saying they need to be the proverbial "chicken with their head cut off", but just up the intensity.  In Priso's case, just a bit.  In Okello's case, alot!

33 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I'd like to see a little more intensity/urgency from Okello, and even Priso.  Not saying they need to be the proverbial "chicken with their head cut off", but just up the intensity.  In Priso's case, just a bit.  In Okello's case, alot!

Not saying it's just because of his similar build but Pogba sometimes looks like he is just strolling on the field.  I do agree that both Priso & Okello sometimes look like they are a bit casual ...hopefully they will learn from Bradley & Oso.

Salaries were released, and here are a few things I found:

- Zavaleta took a massive pay cut (275k-85k) league veteran minimum. Kinda shows you no one wanted you as a free agent.

- Morrow took a massive pay cut (400k - 125k)

- Shellgado is on 581K....holy sheit. Good riddance (MAK for perspective is only on 247k)

- DeLeon got a little increase (225-263) I’m going to assume that was the standard player increase. 

- Bradley is on 1.5M (TAM - which we already knew) 

- Gonzalez is 1.05 (TAM - which we already knew, but he needs to go. Way to much for Slomar.

- Laryea is only on 226k (big increase from last years 80k, but he should be on way more) Auro is on 388k.

- Jozy was on 2.1M last year that grew to 3.6M, love the guy but he’s burnt out. Doesn’t have it. 

This year will be very telling, because I can see a lot of the fat being trimmed, especially when the squad is healthy.

Alitdore, Slomar and DeLeon are all free agents next year. And likely won’t be resigned based on how this season is going.

Here’s a breakdown of highest to the lowest paid:

1. Pozuelo - 4.6M
2. Alitdore - 3.6M
3. Soteldo - ?
4. Bradley - 1.5M
5. Gonzalez - 1.05M
6. Mavinga - 887K
7. Osorio - 876K
8. Shellgado - 581K
9. Bono - 482K
10. Lawrence - ?
11. Auro - 388K
12. Gallardo - 331K
13. Westberg - 288K
14. DeLeon - 263K
15. Mullins - 248K
16. Laryea - 226K
17. Akinola - 157K
18. Morrow - 125K
19. Shaffelburg 116K
20. Okello - 111K
21. Marshall-Rutty - 106.8K
22. Nelson- 106.5K
23. Endoh - 105K
24. Fraser - 94K (on loan)
25. Dunn - 85K
26. Romeo - 84K (on loan)
27. Zavaleta - 84K 
28. Priso - 70K
29. Perruzza- 67
30. Silva - 66K
31. Achara - 66k 
32. Singh - 63k (I’m guessing he got entry an entry level deal )

*33. Dwyer - unknown (Cant assume for this one, he could be on trial money)

Don't you find it shocking after so many years they make the camera work at Yankee Stadium even worse?

First, it is obvious it would work far better with the camera higher. 

But then, they keep it on a long shot, so that 2/3 of the screen is not the pitch. And they hardly focus in at all when the play is on the far side? They keep it wide, you see half the second tier of stands and a huge swath of nearside sidelines.

I am amazed MLS does not care enough to tell them to fix it, it is so lazy and careless on their part. Frankly, I am going to turn it off and find something else, you can't enjoy a broadcast in these conditions.

54 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

Delbado not starting. Hopefully Armas giving him the Floro treatment after his display last game.  Auro in the middle?!?

That display (against NYRB) was two games ago. Not sure if he is injured.

Games in this stadium always seem to be of poor quality but the lack of playing surface should work well for the press and makes a slow-paced middle duo of Bradley and Auro not that insane, although they are not winning as many balls in the middle of the park as I would like