TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

Hard for the pundits to continue defending Armas after this. He has had a lot thrown at him no doubt, but there is a point where you just need to cut losses and stop trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. 

He was an awful appointment from day one and will make the next managers job easier. Now the post Vanney rebound is surely out of the way maybe TFC can hopefully move on.

20 minutes ago, Ivan said:

I realize the quoted post contains some level of sarcasm, but do you guys really think Priso was "that" bad?  I honestly though Laryea had his worst game defensively, and Osorio did absolutely nothing.  Shaffelburg was meh, and Akinola was maybe our best player. I honestly thought Priso was okay compared to the rest of the squad, which I know isn't saying much.  The back 4/5 was embarrassing.

I haven't watched TFC much this year but it sure sounds like they're quitting on the coach.  I would think Armas's time is up.

Ivan...you got me there.  Someone else said Priso was bad, I was just pointing out the defensive woes got worse when Bradley dropped into DM, and the offense got no better when the 2 DP's came on for SHaff and Priso, both CDN who were supposedly doing such a bad job.  But obviously they were the guys to sub off eh??  To make way for 5-6mil dollars worth of salary to come in and save the day.  Bradley can still come up with a bit of genius (beauty pass to Akinola), so you leave him on, but he was walking around the pitch towards the end, seemingly looking for a park bench to rest on and some ducks to feed.  

I dont know what the answer is, Mavinga was shockingly bad...Lareya wasnt good (although sometimes it seems like he is the only guy the can make anything happen going forward), Zav should get the Henry treatment, ie coach never trusts him again after that lazy yellow to put a nail into TFC's coffin.  Osorio didnt do anything positive, Dwyer doesnt seem to add any spark off the bench at all.  The team giving up a goal before most of the crowd has sat down every game,  just reeks of poor preparation/coaching.  I kind of like what SUtton said, when the Gold CUP guys leave, maybe they can pare down, dum up things for the guys left and start fresh with simple basic defending and hard work.  Start from scratch.  Although that was a team with all 3 DP's out of the starting line up..so you cant expect them to be world beaters.  But dont be laughing stocks either,,,

Fire everyone! GM and coach 

hire -  Dwight Lodeweges

Get rid of Bono and Zavaleta.
Bring in Ricardo Ferreira, bring in a young talented GK or a old established GK. Like a Milli ,Breza or Vaikla or Leutwiler or Thomas. Go out and get Hoilett. Bring in Canadian players ! 

and figure out what to do with Jozey. Play him or get rid of him. 

food for thought 

Edited by SpecialK

1 hour ago, Free kick said:

Meanwhile,  Vanney has his team playing at a 2.1 point per game clip.   The second best record in MLS while coaching LAG who finished near the bottom last year.   

I thought for sure that he would find a way to bring Delgado with him.  I guess he finally saw light.

5 hours ago, SpecialK said:

hire -  Dwight Lodeweges

Bring in Ricardo Ferreira, bring in a young talented GK or a old established GK. Like a Milli ,Breza or Vaikla or Leutwiler or Thomas. Go out and get Hoilett. Bring in Canadian players ! 

food for thought 

The thought of bringing in Ferreira for a trial occurred to me as well after last night's debacle.

Here’s my speculation: 

* Armas is not very organized or motivating behind the scenes, nor a good communicator or man manager (see: Altidore)

* At least six of the guys have all been at Canada camps where the spirit is high, and whatever you think of Herdman you know the message is tight and consistent — night and day in comparison  

* Bradley has had too much pride to take a step back for too long and now he’s like Grampa who we all know shouldn’t be driving but no one wants to be the one to take away the keys, not even Armas  He remains the leader and spokesman but increasingly without the respect of the room  

Result: utter demoralization and lack of direction everywhere. Sad to watch guys like Osorio and Laryea who have so much talent and pride in their club and city seem so trapped

Edited by shorty

7 hours ago, SpecialK said:

hire -  Dwight Lodeweges

food for thought 

I don't think any of these things will happen but I agree and would like to see it, the timing is perfect for a reboot with the team not playing home matches and an international break coming up but does ML$E have the balls, sense or desire to make major changes? This would be a good time to add some players such as Hoilett and maybe Ferreira, there is nowhere to go but up and maybe the positivity of the current Canadian program would lift this side and by the time fans are back in the stands this wouldn't be a total train wreck!

They gave Manning and Curtis extensions in March. They aren't going anywhere. Even though they should be out too.

My guess is we get a caretaker. This season is already a write off. Probably going to be Munoz from TFC II. These guys always go for the lazy move.

At this point we are probably going to have to ride out a few years until Manning and Curtis can be removed too

21 minutes ago, narduch said:

They gave Manning and Curtis extensions in March. They aren't going anywhere. Even though they should be out too.

My guess is we get a caretaker. This season is already a write off. Probably going to be Munoz from TFC II. These guys always go for the lazy move.

At this point we are probably going to have to ride out a few years until Manning and Curtis can be removed too

The problem with that is there is an established fanbase now who are accustomed to good teams having success, I don't think the fans have the patience to tolerate failure for too long especially knowing this is one of the higher payrolls in the league! I'm not sure how the return of fans after lockdowns is going to play out but I suspect there will be a good portion who don't return if the team returns to 07 level of failure!

Armas, Bono and Zavaleta need to go it’s super obvious! They need a forward and another CB. Hoilett and Ferreira would be perfect ! People worry about Ferreira’s speed but remember the guy played in the LigNOS, there are a ton of fast, small attacking players he had to deal with. Also he’s a great passer. Also he should be motivated. 

Edited by SpecialK

^ this is right.

Toronto needs a reset.  Armas, Zavelata at a minimum have to go.  Bradley and Gonzalez are not far behind them.

Bradley can still pass but his pace (and thus relentless pursuit and defending) are shot.  Zavaleta has been hanging on for too long.

A new lead CB and attacker are needed.  Hoilett would actually be perfect.  I haven’t seen Ferreira play before but certainly they need a new CB so why not.

The re-signing of Zavaleta is another reason to fire Curtis. Everyone and his aunt assumed that once Vanney was gone, the club would not bring Zavaleta back. Instead they not only brought him back but effectively promoted him to 3rd choice CB with the overdue retirement of Ciman not being replaced (as he certainly hasn’t been replaced by Dunn). The only reason I can think to re sign him is to lull El Salvador into a false sense of hope that they have added a legit MLS defender to their ranks, but that is not how I envision TFC should be helping out the national team.

29 minutes ago, baulderdash77 said:

^ this is right.

Toronto needs a reset.  Armas, Zavelata at a minimum have to go.  Bradley and Gonzalez are not far behind them.

Bradley can still pass but his pace (and thus relentless pursuit and defending) are shot.  Zavaleta has been hanging on for too long.

A new lead CB and attacker are needed.  Hoilett would actually be perfect.  I haven’t seen Ferreira play before but certainly they need a new CB so why not.

The Pedegree is there he’s just made glass. 

19 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

The re-signing of Zavaleta is another reason to fire Curtis. Everyone and his aunt assumed that once Vanney was gone, the club would not bring Zavaleta back. Instead they not only brought him back but effectively promoted him to 3rd choice CB with the overdue retirement of Ciman not being replaced (as he certainly hasn’t been replaced by Dunn). The only reason I can think to re sign him is to lull El Salvador into a false sense of hope that they have added a legit MLS defender to their ranks, but that is not how I envision TFC should be helping out the national team.

How about his uncle?😁

On 7/4/2021 at 3:31 AM, Ivan said:

The thought of bringing in Ferreira for a trial occurred to me as well after last night's debacle.

They could probably get Caps 4th choice CB Cornelius for a song.

Edit:  he wasn't dressed for last night while the two guys ahead of him on depth chart managed to conjure up the Dallas tying own goal.

Edited by BearcatSA

No one is getting fired.  Its only been 10 games.  Armas should kiss Jozys ass, get him on the field with POZ and Soteldo and we'll all be surprised that the defense doesnt look so bad anymore.  All 3 DP's out is bad news for anyone, but having the team be of two minds, two systems is no good.  

51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

No one is getting fired.  Its only been 10 games.  Armas should kiss Jozys ass, get him on the field with POZ and Soteldo and we'll all be surprised that the defense doesnt look so bad anymore.  All 3 DP's out is bad news for anyone, but having the team be of two minds, two systems is no good.  

Everyone knows TFC can score, their goals for record ain't so bad, pretty much in line with some teams making the playoffs.  The goals against are the issue here.  The CB's are just awful, and along with a slow Bradley, they just can't cover the back.  

This issue isn't new, we saw it coming years ago.  Fraser should've started getting some minutes from Bradley 2 years ago instead of Bradley being an automatic starter every single match.  Dunn and Singh could be doing just as well if not a lot better than the Gonzo and Zavaletta show, but at least they'd be building for the future.

3 hours ago, SpecialK said:

They need a forward and another CB. Hoilett and Ferreira would be perfect ! People worry about Ferreira’s speed but remember the guy played in the LigNOS, there are a ton of fast, small attacking players he had to deal with. Also he’s a great passer. Also he should be motivated. 

Armas and Curtis don't even know who Hoilett and Ferreira are.  They couldn't care less about getting some Canadians on board as a fix for the current issues.

29 minutes ago, costarg said:

Armas and Curtis don't even know who Hoilett and Ferreira are.  They couldn't care less about getting some Canadians on board as a fix for the current issues.

Seriously. Whose the CB equivalent of Dwyer? That's probably who they will get