TFC 2021 Season

Big_M

The article mentioned that Patrick Viera is in the running for the TFC job.   I thought he did a poor job with NYCFC,   a team who very much underachieved given the names that were on the roster.  He had players like David Villa,  Maxi Morales, Ronald Matarita, Sean Johnson, Jack harrison....etc heck, he even had Pirlo.  But when TFC played them in the playoffs,  TFC seemed to have their number.  And it always seemed to me that it was tactics moreso than the player talent that was the difference.    Viera stuck me as not flexible and not adaptive in his game management.   Not suited for MLS from what i have seen.   

Edited by Free kick

Geesh Rollins says this stuff about not TFC job to develop CDN etc, then 2 tweets later he talks about converting Bradley to a CB to extend his career.  If its not TFCs business to develop and promote cheap local players that would excite and involve the fanbase, why would it be their job to extend Bradleys career??  Everyone says young CDN should earn their minutes, not be gifted, well if Bradley cant do the job in midfield, why is he here???  Hes 33 and we tried this baloney with Frings long ago.  Dont we have a promising big young defender in the wings??  Dunn has got into 2 games in 3 years...he is 20 now, when are you going to give him a shot??  If you arent going to give him a minimum 500min this year then loan him out or sell him.  

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Geesh Rollins says this stuff about not TFC job to develop CDN etc, then 2 tweets later he talks about converting Bradley to a CB to extend his career.  If its not TFCs business to develop and promote cheap local players that would excite and involve the fanbase, why would it be their job to extend Bradleys career??  Everyone says young CDN should earn their minutes, not be gifted, well if Bradley cant do the job in midfield, why is he here???  Hes 33 and we tried this baloney with Frings long ago.  Dont we have a promising big young defender in the wings??  Dunn has got into 2 games in 3 years...he is 20 now, when are you going to give him a shot??  If you arent going to give him a minimum 500min this year then loan him out or sell him.  

While I'm certainly not a huge fan of Glass City, Duane Rollins is, and always has been, a clueless moron. His MediaGuy handle on the old V's forum back in the day was comical for the sheer number of ridiculous takes he'd spew forth. Even more pathetic was how he'd ALWAYS come back with the 'I went to journalism school' defense when he'd get called out for the stupid things he posted. No need to take anything he says seriously.

I like Duane, I like Glass city, I don’t always agree with Duane’s takes and opinions but hey. Duane is very pro TFC whereas Glass is anti Greg and Rachel and co.

I’ll have to side with Glass as certainly doesn’t see his teams through the coloured lens. This is not the first time Glass corrected Duane and maybe Glass took it a little far but that shit was fucking hilarious. The animation was amazing won’t lie.

idk the whole 2013 bit but tbh Vancouver despite their shit housery has been better imo producing and playing CDN’s all time and has a Chump of change to show for it.

The reality is all teams need to be better with an academy, more so when you have a monopoly. For the invest you’re putting in.... if you’re MTL who’s losing cash you want to sell your youth who can literally get you into the black instantly... if you’re TFC ok big pockets but fuck you turn down 7 figures to sit Okello... if he moves he’s playing in the first team now instead of Denmark...

Any ways not to rant, good on MDS and Van for giving cdn’s minutes and to be fair their CDNs weren’t the problem if you ask me. Domestically right now I can’t say they’ve recruited poorly and they would likely have done better if certain CDN’s played more down the stretch....

I would argue the same for TFC who really does need to use its kids. Anyways not my money being spent.

5 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

He was even generous in including Akinola as a Canadian. The numbers don’t lie. To TFC’s defence some of the Americans have been serviceable, but others such as Mullins, Zavaleta and Bono are expendable.

It didn’t make sense that Mullins was getting PT over young guys like Nelsen and Rutty, when your best player calls you out for it, it says a lot. 

21 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

It didn’t make sense that Mullins was getting PT over young guys like Nelsen and Rutty, when your best player calls you out for it, it says a lot. 

Mullins is more of a target man and has backed up both Alitdore and Akinola in that role. The young kids aren't really in the same mold as him.

That's not to say Mullins has been effective enough, just that he's not specifically taking minutes from Nelson and JMR. 

As for the bigger discussion, memories are short and Vancouver was heavily chastised on this very board for not giving minutes to Canadians for the first several years of its MLS existence. It's great that that's changed for the Whitecaps, and I'd like to see all three teams increase their CanCon (while maintaining competitive balance), but it's not really the dunk on TFC that so many seem to think it is.

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Another former USMNT???  A buddy of Curtis??  A boring style of play?    We have by far the highest payroll, bring in stars (MVPs) from big european leagues (spare no expense) and this the the guy they choose to give the keys to??  I guess this is must be who Bradley wanted......

Giving the keys to european coaches with little famiarity of MLS and its intricasies and peculiarities,  was tried already.   Carver, Mariner, Winter, Nelson...etc.   Other than Moe Johnson and Preki, Vanney was the only coach with MLS roots.  And he was the one who deliverred the most trophies.  And he was the one who delivered the most entertaining style of play. 

maybe Armas wont be the best choice.   We will have to see.   Also, i am sure that there are some good european coaches who could come over and do great job.  But they will have to accept and understand the fact that they have to work in Cap system and in a league where there are quotas based on nationality. And where they dont have the same kind of power and authority that they have in europe.  

Edited by Free kick

4 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Well there is one vote of confidence in Armas ^^^^.  

I dont know if he will be the right choice.   We will have to see.   On the surface,  and in my opinion,  i am more confident based on the fact that its not Viera.  Viera got outcoached in the playoffs.  

Edited by Free kick