New away kits...

fil

Boring as sin, but who cares?

In a dramatic turnabout from the home kits, FC Edmonton's is the only one that is good.

After a good home kit and a great away kit last year, Valour now has a boring away kit and a lame home kit (unless you're an Arsenal fan).

Edited by jonovision

I won't say that they all work (I'm looking at you, York 9), but I'm actually a fan of most of these. I  like that they're trying to shake things up and not just do the typical bland, white, ho-hum away kits that every other league uses. I like that the black really makes the colour contrast pop, and the different art styles for each kit help them stand out. Absolutely love the Wanderers and FC Edmonton take on this. 

9 minutes ago, grande said:

I might be in the minority here, but I think every single away kit looks better than their home kit. I absolutely love the York 9 map. All three blue & black kits look great, too.

I'm with you on York's kit. I like the green pop.

36 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Boring as sin, but who cares?

In a dramatic turnabout from the home kits, FC Edmonton's is the only one that is good.

After a good home kit and a great away kit last year, Valour now has a boring away kit and a lame home kit (unless you're an Arsenal fan).

It's pretty bland - hopefully next year they return to last year's home kits or *FINALLY* do a gold kit.

Pathetic. 

As I posted to a PFC group:

PFC Away jersey on it's own: looks really cool, love the lighthouse design.

As one of the series of cookie-cutter jerseys: this is horrific and betrays a corporate mentality with no respect for football traditions or local autonomy.

Come across a game on TV or online and you will have to play "guess the opponent" because other than one or maybe two jerseys that are actually distinct at a distance, they all look the same except for the corporate logos.

Team colours should mean something and be easily identifiable rather than be relegated to accents. There was no need to change both jerseys in only the second year of existence and both our existing kits were fantastic. Sell us new merchandise all you like, but changing both kits is just a cynical, corporate cash-grab.

The real test will be next year. If they make ANY kits changes for 2021 after the 2020 "season" they will deserve not one red cent of our money.

3 minutes ago, ted said:

Pathetic. 

As one of the series of cookie-cutter jerseys: this is horrific and betrays a corporate mentality with no respect for football traditions or local autonomy.

Come across a game on TV or online and you will have to play "guess the opponent" because other than one or maybe two jerseys that are actually distinct at a distance, they all look the same except for the corporate logos.

Team colours should mean something and be easily identifiable rather than be relegated to accents. There was no need to change both jerseys in only the second year of existence and both our existing kits were fantastic. Sell us new merchandise all you like, but changing both kits is just a cynical, corporate cash-grab.

The real test will be next year. If they make ANY kits changes for 2021 after the 2020 "season" they will deserve not one red cent of our money.

I'd be fine with teams keeping their 2020 home kits into 2021 but producing new away kits, with character, for 2021. Or, in the case of Valour, reverting to their excellent 2019 away kit.

17 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I'd be fine with teams keeping their 2020 home kits into 2021 but producing new away kits, with character, for 2021. Or, in the case of Valour, reverting to their excellent 2019 away kit.

Fair enough, I suppose I cannot object if they correct the mistake next year.

On  different note:

Yet again we get this silly mis-branding of the "City Edition". They insist on regional branding and yet want to be seen as representing Cities?!? You can't have it both ways!

You chose to not be "Victoria" on purpose. Vancouver Island IS NOT A CITY.

19 minutes ago, ted said:

Pathetic. 

I agree that I'd rather see clubs come up with their own unique away kits, but this isn't really out of line with football traditions in the sense that while most clubs put a lot of focus on their home kit, usually the second colours are more to stand out against opposing home kits and aren't designed with marketability in mind. People rarely buy the away kits of European clubs because they're utilitarian while the home kits are the iconic, good-looking ones fans want to buy. Usually the away kit is just a monochrome and there's rarely any standard colour for them; it's just whatever does the job.

So I think the fact that they're all black, a colour that isn't prominent in any of the home kits, is pretty much in line with how clubs have traditionally approached away kits. Again, I agree that the clubs' away kits all being the same essential design is a bit lame and I wish they could have designed their own, but I think this is totally fine. We probably won't even be seeing these kits every game since teams will likely just wear their home colours whenever they don't clash.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Fair enough, I suppose I cannot object if they correct the mistake next year.

On  different note:

Yet again we get this silly mis-branding of the "City Edition". They insist on regional branding and yet want to be seen as representing Cities?!? You can't have it both ways!

You chose to not be "Victoria" on purpose. Vancouver Island IS NOT A CITY.

I think City is just code word for street wear. You know it's cool for the kids to rock around town etc etc

I actually kinda like them. I'm not big on the uniformality of it all but individually I think they look kinda cool

2 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I think City is just code word for street wear. You know it's cool for the kids to rock around town etc etc

I actually kinda like them. I'm not big on the uniformality of it all but individually I think they look kinda cool

I agree. I would have preferred a little more colour on both Forge's and Valour's uniforms, but I like the overall individual designs.

I'm once again blown away at how opinionated people are about kits. For me, it's so clearly subjective that I'm shocked when people scream bloody murder about it while there's hardly a peep about the actual footballing side of things most of the time. I would love if someone would explain why it means so much to them.

BTW I like the Pacific kit, and I'll probably buy into this Collective thing instead of the OneSoccer subscription because of it. 

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Slightly off topic, but most of the 2019 jerseys are available on the Macron site for a pretty deep discount, with limited sizes. Did anybody buy and fit into a medium last year?

I bought a medium white York 9 jersey and fit into it. I'm about 5 foot 7 and 170 pounds at the moment.

9 minutes ago, Wippersuna said:

I love those Valour jerseys and will probably join the Collective to get one and to get my ugly mug up at IGF

Probably my favourite too.

I dont mind the kits in general and actually like the personal city touches, even if a couple are naff. Like the york one but the place names on the map not so much. It's different though lol.

Whoah.  Was just wondering when the aways would be released as they're part of the Collective offer.

They're all right.  The plan is obvious and pretty unique so points for that.   I'm in.

I don't think Valour's homes will actually be too troublesome.  White sleeves, white shorts.  The all dark aways will stand out more than enough I'd think.

Damn, where's the MasterCard?

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Every other club will have to wear their home kit against Valour as black won't look good on TV against maroon.

Pacific’s home kit is pretty dark too. At least the front is. I feel like we’ve really strayed from the function a kit

Wow, some of the reactions. Because the graphic design standard in Canada is a really high level, come on. 

People put up with pathetic design day in day out, wear cookie cutter clothes from the racks at big box stores, then they do a shirt for a 10 game tournament that is radically different than anything ever seen, at an unnecessary development cost, ensuring it'll be an amazingly specific commemoration shirt for a very unusual season, and people are raging, it's all fire and brimstone.

You are not even going to get to wear one of these to a game, you dopes.

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

Who the heck wants to wear a jersey with a squiggly green line and a bunch of place names? Who wants to sport a map of York Region? Who wants a jersey that says East Gwillimbury over your kidney?  This club just keeps getting better.

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd see the day when East Gwillimbury appeared on a professional soccer jersey.