New away kits...

fil

27 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wow, some of the reactions. Because the graphic design standard in Canada is a really high level, come on. 

People put up with pathetic design day in day out, wear cookie cutter clothes from the racks at big box stores, then they do a shirt for a 10 game tournament that is radically different than anything ever seen, at an unnecessary development cost, ensuring it'll be an amazingly specific commemoration shirt for a very unusual season, and people are raging, it's all fire and brimstone.

You are not even going to get to wear one of these to a game, you dopes.

We aren't alone. I read lots of people ripping the new Juve jersey today.

Besides these jerseys were designed pre Covid based on the rumours.

I am going to have to keep digging on this, because some of the stuff is silly, and a lot of other stuff is plain mistaken. 

Yes, the world over away and even third kits are purchased, you'd be amazed how kids go for the alternative kits to the main one that granddad wears. 

Yes, you most definitely do redesign kits yearly. The development cost may seem high for a league like ours, with sales relatively low, but the world over fans are attracted to the new shirt. The new one. It is announced, and it appears all over the city within weeks. Even the ones that betray the team's colours or traditions, fans eat this stuff up. 

Next, they all being with that black base. We are talking about a tournament that is going to be all tv or streamed, no home fans, no visiting contingents. So it is the one chance to try something new, to make a statement, that you are not forcing on fans for game day. It also clearly sets off the two sides and creates a nice sharp contrast for the screen. 

About cities: I don't know where Ted lives but the Fisgard Lighthouse, apart from being a historical monument, is in Colwood. It is not even in Victoria, and no one said it was, Colwood being right beside Langford, as close as you can get to a coastal motif with heritage value, which Langford does not really have. Langford does not even touch the coastline, it is like 2 km away at its closest. So it is a Pacific reference, and an Island reference: get your frigging north pointing in the right direction buddy.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, narduch said:

We aren't alone. I read lots of people ripping the new Juve jersey today.

Besides these jerseys were designed pre Covid based on the rumours.

We have been ridiculed for a year at  Barça for that Croatia shirt we still put on, which will be even worse if we win Champions League--the harlequin Barça kit will be immortalised. But I assure you: people put it on. If we had been able to have fans, the visitors, tourists, would have eaten it up and you would have seen it all over the place, even in Canada. 

As for the Covid reference: thank the lord no one said the shirt was to be mourning for Covid 19 deaths, thank the Lord they did not embarrass themselves that way. It is just black with electric colours. I think they should have made the colour motifs a bit bolder, or to have trimmed with it wider and more sharply, but apart from that, those are unique kits. 

I was talking to my account rep about joining the Collective a couple of hours before the kit reveal, and he asked if I wanted a home or away kit for this season. I opted for the away kit, saying that I've never bought a jersey without having seen it first (I thought it would be good for a laugh). My rep said I could message him at some point in order to change kits if I didn't like the away kit being revealed.

After having seen all of the away kits, I've got to say that that's a unique look. I'm going to keep my kit selection as-is. The electric green-on-black looks good, and if I bike to Lake Simcoe again, I won't have to worry about getting lost along the way.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:24 PM, SpursFlu said:

I actually kinda like them. I'm not big on the uniformality of it all but individually I think they look kinda cool

Yup, individually they are not bad. It's the whole, "away teams will wear the same colour" that bothers me.

On 7/30/2020 at 2:20 PM, Zem said:

I agree that I'd rather see clubs come up with their own unique away kits, but this isn't really out of line with football traditions in the sense that while most clubs put a lot of focus on their home kit, usually the second colours are more to stand out against opposing home kits and aren't designed with marketability in mind.

What fantasy world are you living in?

Second or "away" kits, and lets not forget the obscenity that are "third" kits are very much designed with marketing in mind. 

On 7/30/2020 at 6:14 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

About cities: I don't know where Ted lives but the Fisgard Lighthouse, apart from being a historical monument, is in Colwood. It is not even in Victoria, and no one said it was, Colwood being right beside Langford, as close as you can get to a coastal motif with heritage value, which Langford does not really have. Langford does not even touch the coastline, it is like 2 km away at its closest. So it is a Pacific reference, and an Island reference: get your frigging north pointing in the right direction buddy.

Umm...what?!?

I was complaining about calling this a "city" kit when, as you have clearly described, it is a "regional" identity.  Get your frigging criticism pointed in the right direction buddy. ;)

5 hours ago, ted said:

Yup, individually they are not bad. It's the whole, "away teams will wear the same colour" that bothers me.

What fantasy world are you living in?

Second or "away" kits, and lets not forget the obscenity that are "third" kits are very much designed with marketing in mind. 

Umm...what?!?

I was complaining about calling this a "city" kit when, as you have clearly described, it is a "regional" identity.  Get your frigging criticism pointed in the right direction buddy. ;)

You are right about them talking about cities then putting Van Isle on the back, that was silly. 

Absolutely everything else I would say you are fairly unjustified getting in a sweat about.

Maybe I'll get to take in a match with you all if they show these matches, somehow, at the Yates St Tap House.

I expect you to be wearing the away shirt!!

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

18 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Absolutely everything else I would say you are fairly unjustified getting in a sweat about.

Maybe I'll get to take in a match with you all if they show these matches, somehow, at the Yates St Tap House.

I expect you to be wearing the away shirt!!

Not getting in a sweat, expressing an opinion on corporate wankers shitting on football traditions. But since I seem to be the only one who see it that way... <shrug>.

Hoping the Taphouse will show games but not sure if I will be able to attend. :(

LOL, sadly I might actually get one as it is a lot more stylish than the new home jersey. 

1 hour ago, ted said:

Not getting in a sweat, expressing an opinion on corporate wankers shitting on football traditions. But since I seem to be the only one who see it that way... <shrug>.

Hoping the Taphouse will show games but not sure if I will be able to attend. :(

LOL, sadly I might actually get one as it is a lot more stylish than the new home jersey. 

Don't worry, you aren't the only one. Football is a little too commercialized sometimes. To me, a club's uniform colours should be sacred, especially the home kit.

Calgary is also regionalized. The mountains are an hour and a half away. It makes the shirt nicer, though, as this city isn't exactly known for it's architecture.

Edited by Trois Reds