Theo Corbeanu

jordan

I'm cautiously excited about it because he was doing really well for the first few months at Blackpool then sorta tapered off and the rest of the season was a complete wash. I'm more inclined to believe that won't be the case this year because he's playing good, but it's not like he's just scoring these street goals in isolation, he's picking up assists and playing more of a team game. Plus, there isn't the stress of fighting for promotion you get with Championship, so I think that this is the year we see who he is as a player. It's still early days though, but he has so many qualities that if he just brushes up his game and puts it together, it's going to be scary hours.

7 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Yeah not to count our chickens before they hatch, but at this point I think he’d have to a career collapse to not reach that level. Still really young too. 

For sure. This is a statement year for him. He's 21, still very young as you say, but he's not 18-19 anymore. He's not a prospect, he's a young pro.

But so far so good. 3 assists in 3 games. 

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why the hell did they dump Lopetegui at Wolves, anyone can explain that?

I still think an underspending club should take a better look at it's youth talent on modest wages.

More him than them. He was making rumblings about it once he saw their full extent of their FFP issues, months ago.

Gary O'wall will do well with the constraints. Be good for Corbeanu, especially if he continues in the manner he started. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think people are being cautious since he hasn’t lit it up during past loans but I doubt anyone disagrees re the GC.  I think everyone would have liked to see what he could do against that calibre of international opponent.   

It's fair, but I've followed all his loans closely except the German one. I'm a big fan of English soccer. 

He's definitely a bit of a selfish player at times, although I'm seeing that a lot less this season. 

His past loans were strange. Fans loved him, but coaches clear did not. He also had a lot of issues being played in many different positions, including wing back which was strange. 

This loan should have a lot less barriers though because Wolves and Grasshoppers close relationship. 

Edited by Hawkguy

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Theo has too much talent not to be a tier 1 player.

It's going to happen. It's a matter of when, not if. 

The penny needed to drop with him a bit for me.  And it seems it has.  Coaches won't usually put you on set piece duty as a newcomer unless you show skill but also willingness to be coached, in training. 

Early days but long may it continue.

17 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Why the hell did they dump Lopetegui at Wolves, anyone can explain that?

I still think an underspending club should take a better look at it's youth talent on modest wages.

Well, it all starts with Lopetegui years ago.

Lopetegui accepted the job years ago and then backed out at the last minute (thankfully since this is where Wolves secured Nuno). 

Then he rejected them multiple times last year. 

Then he finally accepted on substantial wages and actually showed up and obviously helped keep Wolves up, but he did spend nearly 100 million in January. Some questionable spending as well. 

Wolves invested substantially in the last 12 months, more than normal. I believe about 240 million on incomings. Neves was always going this summer, but really helped going to Saudi. The rest of the outgoings were dead weight so far. 

Rumours have been that Wolves need a 50 million profit this year to balance the books. Whether that's FFP books or Fosun books, I have no idea. Right now we're sitting at about 44 million profit. 

Lopetegui got pissed that they weren't backing him (which is just false, he spent 100 million in January) so he told them he wanted out. They smoothed things over, or so was thought and then a couple weeks later Lopetegui trashed management in a Portuguese interview for not spending. Things seemed to get okay for awhile after that, but apparently he told them a week ago that he wanted out. 

What makes this more weird is that Wolves made a mockery of a really good side in Rennes this past weekend. 

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The penny needed to drop with him a bit for me.  And it seems it has.  Coaches won't usually put you on set piece duty as a newcomer unless you show skill but also willingness to be coached, in training. 

You have to think being on 4 teams in the last two years and not recalled to Canada for a week Gold Cup side would likely have given him perspective 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think people are being cautious since he hasn’t lit it up during past loans but I doubt anyone disagrees re the GC.  I think everyone would have liked to see what he could do against that calibre of international opponent.   

I think he needs to show a bit of consistency. He sort of dropped off at Blackpool. Needs to be put it together for a full season.

I'm gonna wait this out for a bit yet. I've been excited for his progress multiple times now, only to see it peter out. I hope this isn't another false start and it does look promising again but I need to see more than just a couple promising games before I get back on the hype train, as he's shown that multiple times before without maintaining it.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

This. The confidence shown in him by being on set-piece duty, regularly starting and going near or the full 90 + his teammates getting on with him are all signs of the massive quality this guy has. Like others have said, he just needs to keep these performances going. As it stands, he is already a leader on the team, and that's as a young loanee. 

6 hours ago, Obinna said:

Theo has too much talent not to be a tier 1 player.

It's going to happen. It's a matter of when, not if. 

Define "tier 1 player"? To me that sounds like at least a top-5 league regular? If that's the case, I am not so sure "it's going to happen". I hope it happens, but if Theo ends up a solid "tier 2 player", ie a very good Eredivisie/Primeira Liga/Super Lig/First Div A/MLS player, that would be good too. 

I just hope he's more successful than Petrasso for instance, who was also highly regarded, but was playing in the CPL in his prime.

13 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Define "tier 1 player"? To me that sounds like at least a top-5 league regular? If that's the case, I am not so sure "it's going to happen". I hope it happens, but if Theo ends up a solid "tier 2 player", ie a very good Eredivisie/Primeira Liga/Super Lig/First Div A/MLS player, that would be good too. 

I just hope he's more successful than Petrasso for instance, who was also highly regarded, but was playing in the CPL in his prime.

Petrasso's prime was when he was barely in his 20s because of the amount of injuries he suffered.

31 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

As @VinceA says you cannot compare with Petrasso due to the injuries. 

For the tier 1 thing? Basically yes. I extend it to those playing regularly at clubs like Brugge (Buchanan), Celtic (Johnston) or Porto (Eustaquio) - clubs which are giants in Tier 2 environments. Now, if you're stuck on the bench for a relegation candidate in Ligue 1, as Ugbo was, you are basically tier 2 (at least in that moment), even though it's technically a top-5 league. It's kind of subjective, but that's how it is for me. 

Players like Kone, Corbeanu and Nelson have definite tier 1 potential. I put them in that order intentionally, with Kone being the most likely to pan out, but I believe in all 3. 

I would say our tier 2 players are Laryea, Adekugbe, Ugbo, Borjan, Millar...and I guess the aformentioned Kone.

Hoilett is a weird one due to his age, but as things stand I think I would put him as a tier 2 player also. 

Because Corbeanu and Nelson are still relatively unproven (compared to Kone) it's hard to put them in a tier. 

7 hours ago, MauditYvon said:

Because it's Canada? Sports channels will play poker and baseball, because they can put a lot of commercials. They don't see further. 0 vision.

It's zero vision or a dire vision because it is in decline mode. Bell/Rogers are also slow to invest elsewhere as it isn't clear where media is heading and sports streaming doesn't make money yet. So, standard protocol is to milk the cash cow by cutting budgets, laying off people and asking for government support which they have done over the past 5 years. 

Sports that get enough of an audience like the Jays will still see spending. Rest will be cheap/free like poker since not enough will watch anyway to boost ad rates. Entertainment channels went this route about 7-10 years ago.

Bell/Rogers views are not alone as Disney (ABC/ESPN) CEO just said last month that “linear TV and satellite is marching towards a great precipice and it will be pushed off. A “world of hurt” is coming “I can’t tell you when, but it goes away".

9 hours ago, spitfire said:

I don’t understand why no one in Canada has picked up this league? We have 3 Canadians playing(Breza soon…) no one soccer or fubo … one football is awesome just no commentary… it can’t be expensive  if OneFootball does it for free 

We’re on the same side here but let’s be real: What Canadian channel is covering the Swiss hockey league? More Canadians in a relatively similar level league in a more popular sport. 

On 8/12/2023 at 9:53 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

We’re on the same side here but let’s be real: What Canadian channel is covering the Swiss hockey league? More Canadians in a relatively similar level league in a more popular sport. 

More Canadians but not Canadians important to our national team.

Edit: my comment is about the Canadian hockey players playing in the Swiss hockey league. They likely won't be a consideration to out notional hockey team.

Edited by Ruffian

When glancing at International broadcasters for the Swiss Super league. BeIN Sports has the rights for both English and Spanish in Canada and USA. I have never seen a game on BeIN and there are no other world broadcasters that show it in English. We are lucky enough that they are all on ONEfootball with an easy way to cast to the TV.