Theo Corbeanu

jordan

Have watched from the 22nd minute. Clearly he has a lot of talent and put in some nice crosses, at least one of which should have been a goal. I still think he needs to recognize more quickly when a pass is on. If he can improve that he's going to be a regular somewhere in a top 5 league before long. His one-on-one talent is elite when compared to the other wide players I have watched in the Swiss League.  

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Have watched from the 22nd minute. Clearly he has a lot of talent and put in some nice crosses, at least one of which should have been a goal. I still think he needs to recognize more quickly when a pass is on. If he can improve that he's going to be a regular somewhere in a top 5 league before long. His one-on-one talent is elite when compared to the other wide players I have watched in the Swiss League.  

I agree, but on the passing part, haven't we been asking him to improve this for like 3 years now?

50 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I agree, but on the passing part, haven't we been asking him to improve this for like 3 years now?

Yes we have and he's definitley still a work in progress despite getting better.

What's improved I think is his general recognition of when to attack and when to slow it down. That part of his game is very much improved which is great. In that regard his "passing" has improved, but what I am specifically talking about now is actually seeing a pass during an attacking move and playing it instinctively. He's been doing that very well from the flank, which is why he always puts in multiple good crosses per game, so I am not talking about that. I am talking about him doing it in other areas of the field. The one play I am thinking of he cut inside and had CM runner he could have hit with a pass, but he hesitated for half a second and the gap closed and he had to opt for a more safe pass instead. That's a pass I want him to see earlier and play immediately.

That's the next step for him on the ball in my opinion - at least in terms of passing. Obviously there are other areas he can improve too, like his finishing for instance.

What I do like is how easily he was able to spin his marker from out wide with his back facing goal, then charge down the touchline and advance the ball deep. Sometimes it resulted in a good cross and other times two or three defenders would rush back and someone would eventually poke it out for a throw, but he covers so much ground it's a deep throw where the other team is pinned into their 3rd. I really like the way he advances the ball by running at players, but that isn't something new necessarily. 

Edited by Obinna

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

For a second I was like, holy time flies Theo is already 24 now. 

He's an attacker who's still only 21, with a lot to learn.  That part of the game you can teach, being skillful and tenacious is innate.  

Just now, DeRo_Is_King said:

Is there some new off-side rule that I'm not aware of? Why do Assistant Refs seemingly come up with late flags so often these days? 

Corbeanu was miles off and got the ball, but the Assistant Ref waited until he was dispossessed to give it. I've seen this happen so many times now in recent years. 

That's been the rule for a while just in case there's a mistake and to let VAR handle it.

It makes sense in theory in case a goal does occur, but in practice all we really get is Ralph Priso's career being ruined.

12 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Is there some new off-side rule that I'm not aware of? Why do Assistant Refs seemingly come up with late flags so often these days? 

Corbeanu was miles off and got the ball, but the Assistant Ref waited until he was dispossessed to give it. I've seen this happen so many times now in recent years. 

That rule change is surely going to end up in a GK or attacking player getting injured. A player miles offside on a breakaway doesn't seem to be a decision that potentially needs a VAR review.

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Is it just me or does Corbeanu have a habit of starting off every loan great then he just becomes middling for the rest of it? I'd be interesting in seeing his stats at each of his loan spells. Feels from memory that it's always front loaded. 

To be fair, he has basically been carrying this Grasshopper team. Today was his first truly average game so far. 

1 hour ago, VinceA said:

Is it just me or does Corbeanu have a habit of starting off every loan great then he just becomes middling for the rest of it? I'd be interesting in seeing his stats at each of his loan spells. Feels from memory that it's always front loaded. 

Corbeanu, Larin, Ugbo, and I am sure others - it seems to be a common feature of some of our players when loaned or transferred.  

He’s 21, and he’s already played for the national team. Canada has shown to give him chances when his form merits it, and he should be a top contender for a spot in 2026. I don’t think it’s fair to blame Canada for opportunities he could’ve got with Romania- when he’s good, he gets called. I think he deserved a call this window, but it’s one friendly. He keeps his current form up and he’ll be on the team next game. 

9 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Came on and was dangerous.  Created a big chance or two.  Honestly, watching his games this year I feel like he should have double the assists right now, unfortunately the chances you create don't show up on the stat sheet.

They do if you’re a big stats nerd (which I would hope his club, and assume most scouts and bigger clubs are). If he is doing what you are saying, he will keep getting chances and his opportunities to progress in future will be there. 

Thanks for the update!

Surprisingly, he's done extremely well as a playmaker this season. He just needs to add more goals now, which he is fully capable of.

I think his focus on playmaking is very deliberate. As this is a loan, maybe he's been told it's his chance to prove he can pass. It just seems that way. He has rarely gone for goal this year.

The thing with Corbeanu is he has that ability to pressure defenders off the ball and generate turnovers (David is excellent at this, too). If Corbeanu played a more central role, I think people would see it and he'd have more goals -- especially in this weak Swiss League.