Richlord Ennin

Big_M

Well. Looks strong, and tactically astute. Shades of a young Hoilett, though Hoilett was faster at the same age + playing at a higher level. Could be the future heir of Junior. Though I say this without having seen any of his goals, or whether he can hit them from range like Junior can.

I think Herdman knows who he wants from here on until spring, and I don't think Ennin is anywhere near that roster. But I like what I see, so who knows going forward. Maybe he can take Akinola's spot.

2 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I doubt they call Ennin. He isn't even on the 60 man roster.

Means nothing at all. 

• Kennedy was only contacted by the CSA in late winter of 2020 and made his first appearance this year. Now he's considered a shoe-in. 
  • Johnston made his first appearance ever this year, and is a crucial piece.
  • Paton received his first call up this year albeit not making an appearance.
  • Tyler Pasher received his first appearance ever this year but was subpar.

Also, a lot of guys on the 60 man roster probably wouldn't be list if it was made today. Like Rutty, Morgan, Twardek, Ferreira, etc. 

I think Ennin has the title of best Canadian who is playing in a top league without a CMNT camp appearance. He should get the call for October over the likes of Millar, or Corbeanu if it's just for filler sakes. I'll say this, the pool can only truly get bigger with guys actually appearing at camps. We know what Millar brings, we know what Corbeanu brings, we know what Tesho brings....lets see what Ennin can bring.

7 minutes ago, Shway said:

Means nothing at all. 

• Kennedy was only contacted by the CSA in late winter of 2020 and made his first appearance this year. Now he's considered a shoe-in. 
  • Johnston made his first appearance ever this year, and is a crucial piece.
  • Paton received his first call up this year albeit not making an appearance.
  • Tyler Pasher received his first appearance ever this year but was subpar.

Also, a lot of guys on the 60 man roster probably wouldn't be list if it was made today. Like Rutty, Morgan, Twardek, Ferreira, etc. 

I think Ennin has the title of best Canadian who is playing in a top league without a CMNT camp appearance. He should get the call for October over the likes of Millar, or Corbeanu if it's just for filler sakes. I'll say this, the pool can only truly get bigger with guys actually appearing at camps. We know what Millar brings, we know what Corbeanu brings, we know what Tesho brings....lets see what Ennin can bring.

Not to mention, he wasn't in RPL when the 60 were announced.

9 hours ago, Floortom said:

I know people are talking about calling him in for WCQs but poor guy’s travel schedule would be a nightmare. I’m thinking of the next window where he would go from Western Russia, to Toronto, to Mexico, to Jamaica, to Toronto and back to Russia for example….all over 11 days. Doneil Henry has it pretty bad I know but not like that.

His travel would be equivalent to the players' in Turkey, depending where we do the 1st camp. 

Think he was in 2nd tier last season and this in 1st with his coach's trust. At some point you have to take a look. 

54 minutes ago, PiedPilko said:

Not to mention, he wasn't in RPL when the 60 were announced.

Aren't you making my point? All the players you mentioned were added to the 60 man GC roster before they were selected to join the 23 man squad. Two of the players you mentioned have since been dropped from the list. If he is added to the 60 man squad within the next 2-3 weeks then it's a sign he'll be called up. But something tells me it won't happen unless there is a long string of injuries to our forwards.

Edited by Sal333

10 hours ago, SpecialK said:

Those are highlights from Latvia league, Lithuanian league and then a few of him at Tomsk, 2nd tier Russia, in lighter green. All in a short period, like two years. He moves up a level and does basically the same sort of thing, with decent controls, solid passing, team play, hold up, and a few assists and goals. If he's doing it now in top flight Russia that is a positivie sign. Some of those Russian grass pitches were a bit rough.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

Aren't you making my point? All the players you mentioned were added to the 60 man GC roster before they were selected to join the 23 man squad. Two of the players you mentioned have since been dropped from the list. If he is added to the 60 man squad within the next 2-3 weeks then it's a sign he'll be called up. But something tells me it won't happen unless there is a long string of injuries to our forwards.

60 man preliminary Gold Cup squad is what you are referring to right? If so…why are you continuing to do so?

We recently called only 23 guys. 

I agree though if everyone is healthy, not much change will be made if the coaching staff don’t increase the roster size number.

11 hours ago, Shway said:

60 man preliminary Gold Cup squad is what you are referring to right? If so…why are you continuing to do so?

Because that's what I said in my first post. He isn't even on the 60 man roster. It doesn't necessarily have to be the GC. I mention the GC because of the 4 players you brought up.

Right now Richlord Ennin hasn't been named to the 60 (actually 61) man roster so I doubt very much he'll be on the 23 or 26 man squad for the next window.

Edited by Sal333

9 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Because that's what I said in my first post. He isn't even on the 60 man roster. It doesn't necessarily have to be the GC. I mention the GC because of the 4 players you brought up.

Right now Richlord Ennin hasn't been named to the 60 (actually 61) man roster so I doubt very much he'll be on the 23 or 26 man squad for the next window.

The 60-man roster is totally irrelevant. For international call-ups you can call up who you want, when you want, there is no provision for a previous list of players as what happens for major tournaments, or with clubs and Champions League, where you have to declare eligibility previously and have limited spots. 

So forget about the 60-man roster, it means nothing. Herdman can call up Marc Dos Santos's brother if he so chooses.

I already commented this on another thread: with Cavallini not really on form, and coming off an injured spell, we might want to think about alternatives. If he can show some spark for the Whitecaps, fine; if not, let's think of someone else. I do think, that said, that Cava is our best player in that target role and he has experience in Mexico, but only when he's on form. Ennin is not a pure target, he plays a bit more like David or even Larin, and objectively I think he's not as sharp. So I am not saying he is the alternative to Cavallini--but someone should be considered if Lucas is not ready.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

The 60-man roster is totally irrelevant. For international call-ups you can call up who you want, when you want, there is no provision for a previous list of players as what happens for major tournaments, or with clubs and Champions League, where you have to declare eligibility previously and have limited spots. 

So forget about the 60-man roster, it means nothing. Herdman can call up Marc Dos Santos's brother if he so chooses.

I already commented this on another thread: with Cavallini not really on form, and coming off an injured spell, we might want to think about alternatives. If he can show some spark for the Whitecaps, fine; if not, let's think of someone else. I do think, that said, that Cava is our best player in that target role and he has experience in Mexico, but only when he's on form. Ennin is not a pure target, he plays a bit more like David or even Larin, and objectively I think he's not as sharp. So I am not saying he is the alternative to Cavallini--but someone should be considered if Lucas is not ready.

I never said Herdman can't call someone that's not on his 60 man roster. That's something you created in your own mind.

I look at that 60 man roster as a pecking order. If you're not on it, chances are pretty slim that you don't get to play for the team. Or to put it differently, before you get to play for the senior team you go on the 60 man roster.

Name me one player under Herdman that made the 23/26 roster without first being placed on the 60/61 man list.

4 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

I never said Herdman can't call someone that's not on his 60 man roster. That's something you created in your own mind.

I look at that 60 man roster as a pecking order. If you're not on it, chances are pretty slim that you don't get to play for the team. Or to put it differently, before you get to play for the senior team you go on the 60 man roster.

Name me one player under Herdman that made the 23/26 roster without first being placed on the 60/61 man list.

We have named just one squad since but .... Adekugbe and Borjan. 

You can look at the 60 man roster however you choose but I have no doubt that if Ennin continues producing in Russia he gets called in. Things change quickly and it's clear that 60 man list is not a pecking order.

Edited by CanadaFan123

I think the door opens to Ennin because of Akinola's injury and Herdman likes playing with two up top and right now he has four guys (Hoilett, David, Larin, Cavallini) for that role but I think the safer bet is five, especially with three match windows.

I think atm you have Ennin fighting with Millar and Corbeanu, especially if Herdman doesn't think the latter two can play wingback and can only either be wingers or in a 3atb situation up top with a partner.

I can't see Corbeanu or Millar being wingbacks I think they're better more advanced.

All this depth is wild but also makes me feel a bit bad that not everyone can come along for the rides😅

9 hours ago, VinceA said:

I think the door opens to Ennin because of Akinola's injury and Herdman likes playing with two up top and right now he has four guys (Hoilett, David, Larin, Cavallini) for that role but I think the safer bet is five, especially with three match windows.

I think atm you have Ennin fighting with Millar and Corbeanu, especially if Herdman doesn't think the latter two can play wingback and can only either be wingers or in a 3atb situation up top with a partner.

I can't see Corbeanu or Millar being wingbacks I think they're better more advanced.

All this depth is wild but also makes me feel a bit bad that not everyone can come along for the rides😅

The depth does place another demand on Herdman: get it right. Because it is not a question of the players we have, it is how we play and how we perform. I am not saying that players do not have to execute, but just that there is no excuse anymore that we don't have the players to do certain things. We do. 

When we underperform, like in the first half vs. Honduras, that is more on the coach; individual errors, of course, remain individual responsibility, unless there are team factors exacerbating them.

45 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I don't see either Millar or Corbeanu playing in the second striker slot. Doesn't suit their game styles. I can see Richie play there though. I also can't see  Ennin playing in a wingback role, based on where he's played and seeing how he plays. 

I think our wingback options are more so Gutierrez, and ZBG

26 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don't see either Millar or Corbeanu playing in the second striker slot. Doesn't suit their game styles. I can see Richie play there though. I also can't see  Ennin playing in a wingback role, based on where he's played and seeing how he plays. 

I think our wingback options are more so Gutierrez, and ZBG

We have shown so much tactical flexibility lately that I can no longer take formation into account when speculating on future call ups.

I figured Corbeanu and Millar didn't fit our 3-5-2 and thus would be surplus to requirements, but I am not convinced that matters anymore. Corbeanu found the field against Mexico and it wasn't at wingback. Millar hasn't played wingback since his first cap. 

I think we'll find ways to work in Millar, Corbeanu and even Ennin as time goes on. This team is fluid and flexible, not static and rigid. 

51 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

You seem to be missing my point when they were called up for the first they had never been on any 60 man roster... That is for the gold cup all three have played for Canada before that without showing up on a preliminary roster before playing for Canada

On 9/13/2021 at 8:18 PM, Sal333 said:

If he is added to the 60 man squad within the next 2-3 weeks then it's a sign he'll be called up.

22 hours ago, Sal333 said:

He isn't even on the 60 man roster. It doesn't necessarily have to be the GC. I mention the GC because of the 4 players you brought up.

21 hours ago, Sal333 said:

Or to put it differently, before you get to play for the senior team you go on the 60 man roster.

I think you are confused. The 60 man roster isn't an evolving list that can be changed in 2-3 weeks. It's not something where you put guys on at any point in the year as a way of giving notice of who might be called. It was a one time thing because for the Gold Cup we were required to give a list of players from which the smaller roster for that tournament would be named. After the Gold Cup happened it is irrelevant and dead. If you think we would only pick players from that list, that means we are stuck with those players for the rest of 2021, all of 2022 (sorry Tomori if you become eligible, you aren't on the obsolete list), or the first half of 2023, until the next Gold Cup requires us to name a similar long list of players (might be 60, might be 50 which is what I think it was pre-covid).

That's why @Unnamed Trialist talked about us not being required to name players to that list. He was trying to figure out what it was you didn't understand about the 60 man roster, because based on the quotes above, you don't seem to know what it was used for. It might not be clear outside of context why the 2nd quote shows confusion on your part. A reminder for the context of the 2nd quote above, @Shway mentioned "60 man preliminary Gold Cup squad is what you are referring to right?" and you responded with "it doesn't have to be the Gold Cup". Like I said above, the list was only for 2021 Gold Cup purposes. It's name is the 60 man preliminary Gold Cup roster.

11 hours ago, Kent said:

I think you are confused. The 60 man roster isn't an evolving list that can be changed in 2-3 weeks. It's not something where you put guys on at any point in the year as a way of giving notice of who might be called. It was a one time thing because for the Gold Cup we were required to give a list of players from which the smaller roster for that tournament would be named. After the Gold Cup happened it is irrelevant and dead. If you think we would only pick players from that list, that means we are stuck with those players for the rest of 2021, all of 2022 (sorry Tomori if you become eligible, you aren't on the obsolete list), or the first half of 2023, until the next Gold Cup requires us to name a similar long list of players (might be 60, might be 50 which is what I think it was pre-covid).

That's why @Unnamed Trialist talked about us not being required to name players to that list. He was trying to figure out what it was you didn't understand about the 60 man roster, because based on the quotes above, you don't seem to know what it was used for. It might not be clear outside of context why the 2nd quote shows confusion on your part. A reminder for the context of the 2nd quote above, @Shway mentioned "60 man preliminary Gold Cup squad is what you are referring to right?" and you responded with "it doesn't have to be the Gold Cup". Like I said above, the list was only for 2021 Gold Cup purposes. It's name is the 60 man preliminary Gold Cup roster.

@Kent will make a good parent.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist