Richlord Ennin

Big_M

2 hours ago, Aird25 said:

And we'll quickly chase them away from this forum again

Honestly, I have seen a few pile-ons around here when someone is either obviously trolling or is extremely obtuse, but I see very little hostility to people that come here with a genuine interest in discussing Canadian footy.  I would be really interested in seeing examples to the contrary.  

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Honestly, I have seen a few pile-ons around here when someone is either obviously trolling or is extremely obtuse, but I see very little hostility to people that come here with a genuine interest in discussing Canadian footy.  I would be really interested in seeing examples to the contrary.  

A lot of feelings got hurt when that guy that claimed the national team didn't exist before now (I'm paraphrasing) joined, and I haven't seen him around since. He may have been wrong and a bit disrespectful, but like it or not that's how the vast majority of casual football fans view it, and some people are going to have to decide if they want to continue gatekeeping or decide they want more people to support the team and be more patient with that type of crowd.

7 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

A lot of feelings got hurt when that guy that claimed the national team didn't exist before now (I'm paraphrasing) joined, and I haven't seen him around since. He may have been wrong and a bit disrespectful, but like it or not that's how the vast majority of casual football fans view it, and some people are going to have to decide if they want to continue gatekeeping or decide they want more people to support the team and be more patient with that type of crowd.

That’s fair.  I guess I see it as a somewhat minimum degree of common sense to have a bit of humility when coming to a new forum and making some fairly bold claims (that predictably might rile up some longstanding members).  To me that is pretty common internet etiquette.  Having said that, I can see how some fairly assertive responses could be seen as unwelcoming.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

21 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

The last time I called a post condescending it didn't go over very well, so I think I'll avoid that this time around. 

10 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

The last time I called a post condescending it didn't go over very well, so I think I'll avoid that this time around. 

Fair.   And it probably isn’t worth ripping the scab off the issue.  I was just curious because the times I have seen people get their backs up have been instances where someone brand new tries to kick the door down rather than just engaging.

Then again, maybe I am part of the problem…

29 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

That’s fair.  I guess I see it as a somewhat minimum degree of common sense to have a bit of humility when coming to a new forum and making some fairly bold claims (that predictably might rule up some longstanding members).  To me that is pretty common internet etiquette.  Having said that, I can see how some fairly assertive responses could be seen as unwelcoming.  

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Then again, maybe I am part of the problem…

I think a lot of people think being a complete dick, starting arguments for no reason and being completely contrary is what passes for courtesy and etiquette these days.  Some people are proud to be shit disturbers and get off on the petty internet squabbles.  And although we can all get testy, you have never struck me as one of those guys NAM.  

Ennin is a interesting case for me.  Here is a guy who was with involved in CDN youth teams, in the TFC system, L1O, TFC2 but didnt end up at the big club.  Went the other way, did a bunch of hard sledding in europe and has risen up to a good level at 22 and could be at the cusp of some senior call ups.  I wonder if TFC academy kids will look at Ennin and wonder if that is the path best suited for them and not continuing on with TFC?  

On 9/13/2021 at 6:29 PM, SpecialK said:

Wow. The level ain't the highest. But based on this, I think he would fit in pretty good with the rest of the crew. Probably not the fastest, maybe somewhere between Hoilett and Laryea speed. But he doesn't get muscled off the ball easily, or go down soft (not that the other two do). And seems almost unusually unselfish for a forward, picking out teammates rather than trying to force something that isn't there for personal glory. Call him up. I mean, he has clearly worn the jersey already.

1 hour ago, sebdeserio said:

A lot of feelings got hurt when that guy that claimed the national team didn't exist before now (I'm paraphrasing) joined, and I haven't seen him around since.

Isn't this the same guy?

I lurked on here for a solid year before finally making an account.  Probably made a total of five posts that first year.  Now you can expect (at least) five posts from me when someone disrespects Wheels.  Not sure if that is better or not.

4 minutes ago, El Hombre said:

Isn't this the same guy?

I lurked on here for a solid year before finally making an account.  Probably made a total of five posts that first year.  Now you can expect (at least) five posts from me when someone disrespects Wheels.  Not sure if that is better or not.

Well I'm sure if you're not.

2 hours ago, sebdeserio said:

That was this same guy that’s vehemently defending his clearly wrong opinion that players need to be added to some 60 man roster to be called up. It’s fine to be wrong about stuff but when you continue to argue when you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, you have to expect some push back. That said, hopefully it doesn’t push people away from joining or staying on the forum.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

That was this same guy that’s vehemently defending his clearly wrong opinion that players need to be added to some 60 man roster to be called up. It’s fine to be wrong about stuff but when you continue to argue when you clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, you have to expect some push back. That said, hopefully it doesn’t push people away from joining or staying on the forum.

I agree. 

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. But everyone isn’t entitled to make up their own rules. 

We need to grow the community, and I definitely wouldn’t want to be someone who someone can say “I don’t like the community because this guy makes it’s…” that is what we should ultimately be mindful of. 

On 9/15/2021 at 8:43 AM, Kent said:

I think you are confused. The 60 man roster isn't an evolving list that can be changed in 2-3 weeks. It's not something where you put guys on at any point in the year as a way of giving notice of who might be called. It was a one time thing because for the Gold Cup we were required to give a list of players from which the smaller roster for that tournament would be named. After the Gold Cup happened it is irrelevant and dead. If you think we would only pick players from that list, that means we are stuck with those players for the rest of 2021, all of 2022 (sorry Tomori if you become eligible, you aren't on the obsolete list), or the first half of 2023, until the next Gold Cup requires us to name a similar long list of players (might be 60, might be 50 which is what I think it was pre-covid).

That's why @Unnamed Trialist talked about us not being required to name players to that list. He was trying to figure out what it was you didn't understand about the 60 man roster, because based on the quotes above, you don't seem to know what it was used for. It might not be clear outside of context why the 2nd quote shows confusion on your part. A reminder for the context of the 2nd quote above, @Shway mentioned "60 man preliminary Gold Cup squad is what you are referring to right?" and you responded with "it doesn't have to be the Gold Cup". Like I said above, the list was only for 2021 Gold Cup purposes. It's name is the 60 man preliminary Gold Cup roster.

It's a one time thing. Really? If you go to the Canada Soccer website they have their new 60 man pool. It's actually 61 men but let's not quibble. That list is a very different list from the Gold Cup one. So that's two 60 men lists in one calendar year and in January 2021 they had another list with some different names. For as long as Herdman has been the MNT manager he has "updated" the long list when he needed to and chose his 23 men from that 60 men list on the Canada Soccer site. If you think I'm wrong let's wait till the October window and see if the players he chooses for his 23/26 men roster are from the list on the website or if he picks the names willy-nilly.

10 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

It's a one time thing. Really? If you go to the Canada Soccer website they have their new 60 man pool. It's actually 61 men but let's not quibble. That list is a very different list from the Gold Cup one. So that's two 60 men lists in one calendar year and in January 2021 they had another list with some different names. For as long as Herdman has been the MNT manager he has "updated" the long list when he needed to and chose his 23 men from that 60 men list on the Canada Soccer site. If you think I'm wrong let's wait till the October window and see if the players he chooses for his 23/26 men roster are from the list on the website or if he picks the names willy-nilly.

This can't be serious. You think he's listing his pool on a website? 

Your point has already been disproven. Adekugbe and Borjan weren't on the 60 man list. 

41 minutes ago, Shway said:

Alright moving on back to Ennin.

Why?  Doesn't look like he's ever going to get a sniff with the national team.  Grand assumptions about a website told me so.

Interesting that Akinola isn't on the list, but Priso is.  Both have season-ending injuries.

I would pay so much money to be in charge of that website just for the sheer fun of fucking with people.  Throwing some randos on there like Herdman's kid would make some people go apoplectic here.

I heard the CSA also maintains a list of the people who are allowed to update the list.

And then there is another secret list controlled by Herdman as part of his job description, which is the potential Canadian coaching pool. This list clearly stipulates that if you want to be Canada NT coach you have to be on the list. There is, from what his wife told me when I was back in Vancouver, just one name on that list. 

3 hours ago, Sal333 said:

I understand why the cheap CSA got rid of Zambrano in favour of Herdman now. Not only is he our national team coach, but he's also our Web Developer!

5 hours ago, Sal333 said:

What you are seeing on the website (assuming it's this https://canadasoccer.com/national-teams/excel-teams/?gender=male&teamId=2068 ) just looks like a pretty exhaustive list of guys that have made it to a camp in the past, and are still active players. If a player hasn't been to a camp, I don't think they would have the headshot of them with a Canada shirt on. Some guys were listed in the Gold Cup long list that aren't there, like Marcelo Flores and Daniel Jebbison, because they still haven't been to a camp so no headshot, and no info put in the website in terms of which camps they have been to.

It's very likely that all the players that will be called in October are in that list, because there don't seem to be many people with a shot at making their debut at such an important time. But let's say Ennin makes the roster for the first time. He won't be on that list of players until it becomes official, and possibly after they get him in and take his headshot. I am making some assumptions because I don't frequent that page a whole lot, but it definitely isn't curated by John Herdman based on who he is considering calling up.