Richlord Ennin

Big_M

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I hope I’m wrong but I fear he may not be picked because he plays in Russia. It’s crazy but that’s the world we live in.

I don’t know - if we go with a B squad for NL, I don’t know how you could ignore a guy playing in a European top flight.  The quality may drop off some after the top two or three teams but it is still a decent league and he gets lots of minutes.   

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don’t know - if we go with a B squad for NL, I don’t know how you could ignore a guy playing in a European top flight.  The quality may drop off some after the top two or three teams but it is still a decent league and he gets lots of minutes.   

It has nothing to do with the level. Russia is a better level than 80% of our team. It’s the politics. 

1 minute ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It has nothing to do with the level. Russia is a better level than 80% of our team. It’s the politics. 

Unless you are referring to some challenging logistical factor I just don’t see Herdman basing his selection decision on some complicated geopolitical situation.  It’s not like Ennin is marching in support of Putin. 

6 hours ago, Bison44 said:

I doubt that it will keep him out, and I hope I'm right.  Now can  he get in and out of russia...that might be a problem eh?  

I've been thinking about this as well. But he is currently on loan correct? So he should technically be back with his Latvian club by then unless his move becomes permanent

3 hours ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

I've been thinking about this as well. But he is currently on loan correct? So he should technically be back with his Latvian club by then unless his move becomes permanent

Hopefully his agent can get him transfer outside of Russia. Have to imagine there will be suitors in Belgium/Portugal/Turkey etc. 

On 4/3/2022 at 5:19 AM, Approve My Account Pls said:

That is correct, he has gone out on loan a few times now from his Latvian club, twice in Russia, once to 2nd tier, now to first tier. They have about 10 games left in their season, which stops in the winter. Wonder if he had a long contract or was renewed, as he's be a Spartaks Latvia player since 2019.

I also agree that next time out he'll look for an option outside of Russia. He should get suitors, as he's young, an attacker, and no one will stigmatise him for being where he is. 

We should suppose the teams, if paying in rubles, are okay meeting payments, but I'd imagine their sponsors and fan-bases might be weakened. And then a foreign player getting paid in rubles has lost money in the exchange. Mind you, he may have a guarantee based on his foreign contract.

Contractual obligations are tough and even though I don't feel like following Russia league, I too have called for his consideration for a while. He hasn't had an amazing year or anything, but he's playing top flight. 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Off the top of my head, I’d rather see guys like Brym, Mitrovic, Colyn or even Corbeanu. What sort of impact do you think Ennin would even have on our team? 

I think Mitrovic would be the only guy who I would agree with that "deserves" a call-up over him. I won't debate that. 

Brym is having a great season in the second division fighting for promotion. 
Colyn is having  a good season on a midtable second division club (I think he would be a perfect call up for a U23 team if we had one, but not the seniors)
Corbeanu is another player that I like, but is solely a winger. 

With Richie he's been consistently playing in the best league out of those names. And from what I've seen is that his game is very versatile. He's able to play anywhere on the front three, and is capable of playing behind the striker. He is strong, and very good with holding up the ball, and linking with the attack. He hasn't scored much but has 4 assists which tells me he's able to create goals. 

Ultimately, I think we need to consistently bring in new faces that have performed when the opportunity presents itself. We've seen what Millar does, we've seen what Corbeanu can do, and we've seen what Brym can do. I'm interested in seeing the guys who are playing at comparable levels get opportunities on the national team and see how they do!

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think Mitrovic would be the only guy who I would agree with that "deserves" a call-up over him. I won't debate that. 

Brym is having a great season in the second division fighting for promotion. 
Colyn is having  a good season on a midtable second division club (I think he would be a perfect call up for a U23 team if we had one, but not the seniors)
Corbeanu is another player that I like, but is solely a winger. 

With Richie he's been consistently playing in the best league out of those names. And from what I've seen is that his game is very versatile. He's able to play anywhere on the front three, and is capable of playing behind the striker. He is strong, and very good with holding up the ball, and linking with the attack. He hasn't scored much but has 4 assists which tells me he's able to create goals. 

Ultimately, I think we need to consistently bring in new faces that have performed when the opportunity presents itself. We've seen what Millar does, we've seen what Corbeanu can do, and we've seen what Brym can do. I'm interested in seeing the guys who are playing at comparable levels get opportunities on the national team and see how they do!

With all the guys I mentioned, the mindset I’m going for is guys who are more high risk/high reward- we pretty much know almost all of our WC roster, and I think the only new additions would be young guys who stun the team by taking a leap, and the guys I listed seem to have more high end upside, so I’d love to get a look at them for NL. I’m thinking of guys you put in when you’re down 1-0 late against Croatia and need a miracle to stay alive because absolutely nothing else has worked. I just don’t know a scenario where Ennin’s skill set is the difference maker for Canada in any of the games we’ll be playing this year. Not to mention, of all the guys I mentioned, Ennin included, we’re talking about what, 2-3 available roster spots? I fully expect maybe one guy I mentioned to get called up.

We’ve seen Brym and Corbeanu play, we know what they give us, and I could probably be convinced to try out Ennin over Corbeanu, but I think Brym has stepped up since his last call up, and there’s some chance he plays for a Dutch top flight club next year which would put him in a position to face some of the tougher competition that any of our players face. 

With all of this said though, I think Mitrovic is in a different tier- I think he’s the most important dual national right now, and he could probably contribute immediately. I really hope Canada locks him up, I’m excited to see him grow.

also, in terms of competition, it’s important to note that Nizhny Novgorod sits in 11th, 1 point above relegation playoffs with one game left vs Zenit who are RPL champs by some margin. 12th seed is playing the 16th (last place) team, and 13 plays 14. Not sure what his plans are after this year, but if he does stay with NN, there’s a good chance it may be in the second division.

Edited by InglewoodJack

Just to comment and thanks @InglewoodJack for the league update: he's on loan at Novgorod. He went there because his coach last year in Tomsk (not far from Mongolia!!) in 2nd tier was hired and wanted him. That is great support and I am sure he's matured, considering just a few years ago he was on loan in Lithuania.

But he is on loan from a Latvian club and goes back end of June. So he has no obligation to go to 2nd division with Novgorod if they don't stay up, the loan can be renegotiated as I think he's on contract until next summer.

As I've commented, it'd be ideal for him to find a club in Denmark or Scandinavia, in top flight, or Austria, just to keep on advancing his career.

40 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Nizhny Novgorod sits in 11th, 1 point above relegation playoffs with one game left vs Zenit who are RPL champs by some margin. 12th seed is playing the 16th (last place) team, and 13 plays 14. Not sure what his plans are after this year, but if he does stay with NN, there’s a good chance it may be in the second division.

1) Since Ennin got a red card, he won't play in the last regular season match.

2) It's the relegation playoff so anything can happen.

3) Rubin Kazan play Ufa and I'm not sure what happens if both teams draw and find themselves on 30 points. The tie-breaks in Russian are weird and it would take me some time to calculate if they jump ahead of NN if NN lose their final match.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Yeah, I know that he’s on loan, more just saying that in a matter of weeks he may either be in the Russian second division or back in Latvia, but he’s played well enough that I do hope he gets another strong loan or transfer. If he stays in the region, Zalgiris in Lithuania plays a lot in Europe, so that might be an interesting move for him. Austria, Switzerland, even Turkey wouldn’t be the worst moves for him either.

also re: relegation, I know nothing about how the Russian league works, and if I was a betting man, my bet is that NN avoid relegation, but they’ve got by far the toughest match out of anyone that can leapfrog them, and there is a real possibility they fall to relegation playoffs on straight points, but if I’ve calculated it correctly, they’d simply need to beat the 4th best team in the second division to stay up, and my guess is they do so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, narduch said:

Noticed Nizhny Novgorod have their first pre season friendly tomorrow. 

Which makes me wonder what is up with Ennin.

I would assume his agent is trying to get him elsewhere...but would go back if nothing else materializes. 

Still think he's someone who deserves a look, and hopefully his next move will allow that...but with shinny young dual prospects it makes it harder for him.