Richlord Ennin

Big_M

His coach is going to be former Russian NT striker Kerzhakov, who was also his coach at Tomsk last year. Given the coach knows him and wanted to bring him into his new team it probably bodes well for his chances of getting playing time right away. Kerzhakov is probably not a bad mentor to have either.

Gotta go now, but I'll say Ennin's been a mixed bag so far. @bfque8described him as a cross between Akindele and Millar and I think that's a pretty good description. He's a playmaker who also happens to be very good at pressuring the opposition's backline.

That being said, his passing has been a little wayward today, and he was arguably at fault for a goal against, coughing up the ball in front of the box. He isn't quite as physically sound as Tesho or quite as creative as Millar, but still,  he offers something different by combining those skills. I don't buy that Akindele has much chemistry with this squad, and Ennin is likely to offer more.

Haven't watched it yet, but just so you guys know I think Russian games are all on youtube on their official page.

Still kinda shocked by this. Watched a couple of his games before and he didn't really show a whole lot. He was playing as a winger back than so maybe/hopefully a different central role would suit him better.

I hope this guy works out and he is still young so who knows where his career will go. However, I thought we were past the stage calling up every guy who plays a couple games in a good league. Just last season he was on one of the worst teams in the 2nd division, a level way below MLS. Let's give him some time before we start thinking he should get called up.

Remember Di Charia played 5 games in the Russian league at 19. Didn't do much of anything after that.

53 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

I hope this guy works out and he is still young so who knows where his career will go. However, I thought we were past the stage calling up every guy who plays a couple games in a good league. Just last season he was on one of the worst teams in the 2nd division, a level way below MLS. Let's give him some time before we start thinking he should get called up.

Remember Di Charia played 5 games in the Russian league at 19. Didn't do much of anything after that.

I would normally agree, but our striker depth just isn't that great. Daivd and Larin are David and Larin, but there's reason to think they don't go well together. They lost a combined 30 possessions against Haiti's CPL backline at WCQ. Cava's out, Ayo's out, Pasher's probably out... where does that leave us? Hoilett will be there, but he's not really a true striker. Millar has never been a great finisher. Corbeanu is a winger who isn't getting any playing time. 

Tesho is Tesho - I thought he was a lot better vs Mexico than we give him credit for, but yeah, he's very limited. And then we have Ennin who's had consistently good ball progression metrics at lower levels and looked decent enough in his first game in Russia's top tier. Unlike Larin or David, he knows he wouldn't be the go-to guy upfront, and I could see him setting either of them up. He provides something none of our other attacking options do. 

I still might stick with Akindele personally, because his hold-up play was perfectly good against Mexico. I don't think it'd be that crazy though.

2 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

I think this is different. Di Chiara was a shock and thrown right into the deep end - it never made sense. Ennin has been slowly climbing the ladder for years and his manager from the second division brought him along with him. He had a good year in the 2nd division ... his team performance is irrelevant. 

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

So you don't think it's fair to evaluate hold up play on times required to hold up?

We watched a different game. 

I know we want to blame our fifth string striker on that loss, which is fair to an extent, but come on. There were so many plays in that game where Tesho worked his way between the Mexican defense and made difficult headers/passes back to the midfield.  He lost the ball a lot too, but that's inevitable when everything's going through you centrally. 

I don't even disagree with you though. I think Akindele is very limited, which is why it wouldn't be crazy to give Ennin the nod instead.

6 hours ago, PiedPilko said:

I know we want to blame our fifth string striker on that loss, which is fair to an extent, but come on. There were so many plays in that game where Tesho worked his way between the Mexican defense and made difficult headers/passes back to the midfield.  He lost the ball a lot too, but that's inevitable when everything's going through you centrally. 

I don't even disagree with you though. I think Akindele is very limited, which is why it wouldn't be crazy to give Ennin the nod instead.

Fair enough, maybe I have to watch again. 

My feeling was that Cavallini was not too sharp as it was. I don't think we have to put a heavy body in the middle of the CBs just for the sake of it, but it does alter the attacking model. Who's in there for the cross? Where is the attack coming from? Do we really need to send all free kicks into that same ineffective spot? 

However I feel about the players, I do believe in continuity. We called Tesho in late, we trusted him, wiser to take that option for an unlikely sub than someone untried with no experience in the group. 

Of course if Richie has a solid set of games over the next months, that changes. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist