Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

Just now, trc2014 said:

Random thought - should Canada be wearing a star on their jersey in the tourney for the 2000 GC win or is that exclusively for WCs?  

Oh you’re trying to be England now lol….

but it’s definitely for the WC only. 

16 minutes ago, Shway said:

Oh you’re trying to be England now lol….

but it’s definitely for the WC only. 

Spain and Italy have them on their Euro kits.....and I see now it’s for their WC wins.  I stand corrected!

Edited by trc2014

Haiti dreaming of Canada revenge by the sounds of it.

They are never pushovers so the USA and Canada need to take them seriously in group play.

But i'll tell ya, wouldn't I love for them to take points from the US, not just to help our cause but to also drive home the point that us beating Haiti 4-0 on aggregate was not a gimmie.

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Haiti dreaming of Canada revenge by the sounds of it.

They are never pushovers so the USA and Canada need to take them seriously in group play.

But i'll tell ya, wouldn't I love for them to take points from the US, not just to help our cause but to also drive home the point that us beating Haiti 4-0 on aggregate was not a gimmie.

If Haiti play like they did that first 45 tonight, I definitely do not see a USA walkover next weekend. Also not sure how much that American squad will have played together. 

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Like I said a few pages back - I don’t like this! It’s hard to beat the same team 3 out of 3 in one month unless you’re multiple levels above them in quality 

I don’t get this thinking.  At this point we don’t have to beat them three times.   We have to beat them once.  It would have been statistically less likely a month ago when we thought about the prospect of winning 3 times in a row but we already did the job twice.  Now, we just have to play them once and we are still the better team by a fairly significant margin.   We will do the same thing in the GC that we did in WCQ.

8 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

Watching these qualifying games - how I wish this commentator handled the Canada Gold Cup games for 2021.  He was the voice Canada’s 2019 games at the GC but I imagine we will be subject to Gareth giggling over every AD dribble this year.

i will be watching the fox broadcast if i can,i cant watch anything wheeler

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Like I said a few pages back - I don’t like this! It’s hard to beat the same team 3 out of 3 in one month unless you’re multiple levels above them in quality 

I get what you are saying, but consider the opportunity in front of the boys. IF they beat this Hatian team for a 3rd time, it will further strengthen our belief when it comes to beating decent opposition.

Haiti aren't in the Octagon, but they are arguably the best team not in it that we could play in order to prep. 

So I like the match up. Bring them on.

Edited by Obinna

6 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Interesting that Guadeloupe changed keepers for the PK shoot-out. On the other hand, I could see us doing the same thing if we get to PK's in a knockout match and have started Crepeau, because St. Clair is pretty good at saving them.

I can’t imagine a goalie coming in cold is a good thing.

17 minutes ago, trc2014 said:

I can’t imagine a goalie coming in cold is a good thing.

Well it went 12 rounds, so he was pretty warm by the time it ended. 😉

Although I got the wrong "Gua" - it was Guatemala who changed their keeper apparently, not Guadeloupe.