Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

11 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

you are correct on both points, there are no words and it sounds awesome!

Not only this, but there have been many attempts at putting words and no success. In some ways it is fine, because you can have a piece of music that is your national anthem and people can feel the same patriotism or whatever standing silent as it plays. But it is a very odd case. 

In a radical contrast, some of the club hymns in Spain are marvellous, absolutely great pieces of music. Sevilla FC is inspiring, At Bilbao is very unique. Of course I am not objective about FCB but the words are really creative and well-done. Even the regions have anthems that are sung wholeheartedly, the Catalan anthem is done a capella and is very powerful. 

But Spain stands silent when its anthem plays--unless you are into the lo lo lo....

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not only this, but there have been many attempts at putting words and no success. In some ways it is fine, because you can have a piece of music that is your national anthem and people can feel the same patriotism or whatever standing silent as it plays. But it is a very odd case. 

In a radical contrast, some of the club hymns in Spain are marvellous, absolutely great pieces of music. Sevilla FC is inspiring, At Bilbao is very unique. Of course I am not objective about FCB but the words are really creative and well-done. Even the regions have anthems that are sung wholeheartedly, the Catalan anthem is done a capella and is very powerful. 

But Spain stands silent when its anthem plays--unless you are into the lo lo lo....

yah, i like that they just leave it as music. i've heard it live in a stadium only a handful of times and it's goosebumps every time. and i did the lo lo lo 😁

you're right about some of the club songs, they're awesome. the real madrid 'himno del centenario' that placido domingo sang in 2002 is outstanding.

8 minutes ago, Alex said:

It’s a British territory. 

Nope.  😀  i went there.   They have a lot of the british institutions and culture.  But they are an independant country.   Independant from britain.

edit ;  the wiki page calls it a british over seas territory.

edit 2:  i might be wrong.

Edited by Free kick

35 minutes ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

yah, i like that they just leave it as music. i've heard it live in a stadium only a handful of times and it's goosebumps every time. and i did the lo lo lo 😁

you're right about some of the club songs, they're awesome. the real madrid 'himno del centenario' that placido domingo sang in 2002 is outstanding.

Now everytime I hear Plácido I wonder if its his music to channel his passion for something else, if you know what I mean.

31 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Nope.  😀  i went there.   They have a lot of the british institutions and culture.  But they are an independant country.   Independant from britain.

edit ;  the wiki page calls it a british over seas territory.

edit 2:  i might be wrong.

Their national anthem is God Save the Queen

If we advance out of the group, we won't play USA in the knockout stages unless both teams make it to the final.

If we advance out of the group, we almost certainly play either Jamaica or Costa Rica in the quarter finals, which I think is hard to say which is the better team, so that is a bit of a wash.

The advantage obtained by finishing first in the group is the semi final opponent. Finish second in the group and the most likely semi final opponent would be Mexico. Finish first in the group and the most likely semi final opponent would be Honduras. That is a significant difference. Each knockout round match should be very tough, but our chances of making the final are a lot higher if we win the group. So let's do that.

9 minutes ago, Kent said:

If we advance out of the group, we won't play USA in the knockout stages unless both teams make it to the final.

If we advance out of the group, we almost certainly play either Jamaica or Costa Rica in the quarter finals, which I think is hard to say which is the better team, so that is a bit of a wash.

The advantage obtained by finishing first in the group is the semi final opponent. Finish second in the group and the most likely semi final opponent would be Mexico. Finish first in the group and the most likely semi final opponent would be Honduras. That is a significant difference. Each knockout round match should be very tough, but our chances of making the final are a lot higher if we win the group. So let's do that.

I would rather Costa Rica. Our results against them have been more favorable. If that's not enough, Costa Rica don't have Leon Bailey to contend with. 

The best scenario is Suriname. It is not unrealistic to think they can advance.

18 minutes ago, Gian-Luca said:

Akinola is starting tonight for TFC but Osorio and Laryea are not dressed, presumably already in the Canada camp. We can probably draw some conclusions from this  as to who is likely to start for Canada on Sunday

Using that same logic, I would point out that Buchanan was the hero in the Revs last game but isn’t in the 18 tonight.  Food for thought...

55 minutes ago, Grandbloke said:

What is jarring about it?

A lot of us oldies remember singing it every morning in Canada.  Not jarring at all...I always get good memories of shooting spitballs at my buddies during school assemblies when I hear it.    

1 hour ago, Grandbloke said:

What is jarring about it?

I guess it's partly that I so closely associate it with England games and partly that I just assumed these islands would've gotten their own anthem by now.  I realize they're colonies but seeing Montserrat line up and hear god save the queen when you're not expecting it feels like India lining up for their anthem and hearing this

Edited by CanadianSoccerFan

The difference with the French territories and the British, Dutch and US ones is that they are treated by the French as being part of the France mainland with exactly the same rights and privileges as if it was part of the mainland (like Brittany or Normandy for example).  And any resident has the same rights as well as if they were living on the mainland (including within the EU).  That is not the case with the British, Dutch and US territories.  They have a different status and therefore different rights and privileges than the parent. For example, Puerto Rico is not a state although they do send someone to congress but that person can't vote.  The UK overseas territories don't have representatives in the UK parliament.

In other words, for FIFA, it would be like recognizing PEI as a separate football team to Canada's.  I doubt it will change for the French territories unless they change their legal and political status with France through either some separate form autonomy to a department like a British overseas territory or complete independence.  And that is why New Caledonia is different as its not a overseas department but an overseas territory like the UK ones.

All that being said, I would love for French Guiana, Guadeloupe, or Martinique to gain independence or change their status and thereby be permitted to join FIFA proper.  It would improve Concacaf like has happened recently with Curacao and Suriname.

5 hours ago, An Observer said:

In other words, for FIFA, it would be like recognizing PEI as a separate football team to Canada's.  I doubt it will change for the French territories unless they change their legal and political status with France through either some separate form autonomy to a department like a British overseas territory or complete independence.  And that is why New Caledonia is different as its not a overseas department but an overseas territory like the UK ones.

Long live the AnneOfGreenGablesPotatoLobsters.