Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

The other thing about that game is that it was 3 early quick goals. Chalk it down to good finishing or bad defending or simply good/bad luck on some of the plays, but when you go down by multiple goals that early it's hard to get the momentum back.

I take solace in the fact this summary does not look like a 4-1 result went down. Borjan made 1 save that night and conceded 4 times 😅

674499984_ScreenShot2021-07-06at2_38_10PM.png.3d2aa968e700026f2e00a9b076b31d3a.png

53 minutes ago, grigorio said:

I take solace in the fact this summary does not look like a 4-1 result went down. Borjan made 1 save that night and conceded 4 times 😅

674499984_ScreenShot2021-07-06at2_38_10PM.png.3d2aa968e700026f2e00a9b076b31d3a.png

Didn't realize we had such an advantage in time of possession during that game, and we were the away team. Gives me more confidence that we can get a result against the US in the group stage.

8 minutes ago, El Diego said:

I remember Canada being very naive defensively that game, and naive with how high we were when we had the ball. Once we had to start chasing the game against the USA's slow but solid defense, we were cooked.

I don't expect we'll make the same mistake twice. We are far more solid now and definitely less naive, Herdman included.

14 minutes ago, nazzer said:

The three qualifying games on today really make me wish we could just have 16 concacaf teams instead of a guest team. I thought we'd moved beyond that. I know why $atar is in the gold cup, but I'd rather see a CONCACAF team instead. 

I agree, but part of me really likes that $atar are in it. Sure it's kind of awkward, but there is an allure to playing an Asian team in a competitive match.

I really hope we play them in the semi final. I want to see how we stack up against the reigning Asian champions.

Thought this was interesting, from the 2021 Gold Cup Regulations document:

Section 12.6: For tonight's 3 second round qualification matches, if the score is tied after regulation, it goes straight to penalty kicks.

Trinidad and Tobago and French Guiana are tied 1-1 with 25 minutes to go.

screenshot_20210706_174331.jpg

Can't believe Haiti line opened at 1.7-1 to win. Looks like books got it wrong and slightly punished, public was pretty heavy on Haiti and rightfully so.

Line closed Haiti moneyline 1.2-1 , 

It's 2-0, 30 mins in and Pierrot and Nazon running circles around Bermuda's D. 

Edited by apbsmith