Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Guadeloupe now has a flag that apparently looks almost identical to Surinames? 

Saw this too..had to do my research.

Very similar, slight difference in colour with the star to the left, vs the middle like you see in the Suriname flag.

6 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Guadeloupe now has a flag that apparently looks almost identical to Surinames? 

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Saw this too..had to do my research.

Very similar, slight difference in colour with the star to the left, vs the middle like you see in the Suriname flag.

It's the separatists movement's flag, those who want Guadeloupe to be independent from France.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_populaire_pour_la_libération_de_la_Guadeloupe

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

7 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's the separatists movement's flag, those who want Guadeloupe to be independent from France.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_populaire_pour_la_libération_de_la_Guadeloupe

Thank you for this. I read the same but interesting to see the election results being so weak. Not surprising that political elements would support this squad but odd the players would all take flags from them. Maybe they don’t know?

8 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Yes fellas, for the love of God break away from france so you can be a real FIFA team. I dislike having non-FIFA teams in the Gold Cup

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

What a terrible month and a half for Guatemala fans. Knocked out of WCQ before even having a chance to face Panama and now out of the Gold Cup.

Probably the worst part of it is that they haven’t lost any games during that stretch either. Only a 12 round shootout.

4 hours ago, trc2014 said:

Random thought - should Canada be wearing a star on their jersey in the tourney for the 2000 GC win or is that exclusively for WCs?  

Maybe an arm patch similar to champions league. But Mexico and the US would have to do it too, would be embarrassing if we were the only ones doing it.

3 hours ago, JohnnyFranchise said:

Maybe an arm patch similar to champions league. But Mexico and the US would have to do it too, would be embarrassing if we were the only ones doing it.

I see Spain at the Eurocup was wearing a shirt with one star, for the WC. Not for the 3 Eurocups they've won. So I guess this is a decision of each team. Some European sides wear stars for their European Cup/Champions wins, but I can assure you Real Madrid does not.

If it were up to me, I'd put a single star on our shirt only for our GC games, it would be a nice touch and a statement that we are going for more.

2 hours ago, An Observer said:

ah.  everytime I hear Guatemala, I have nightmares that we lost to them in a 2 leg match in the 1990 World Cup qualifying.  And this was after we had qualified for the 1986 World Cup.  I still cant believe we lost to them.  Crazy 

Ah, Guatemala 1988 ... the beginning of a 30 period of Canadian soccer mediocrity from which we are only now emerging.   

7 minutes ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

That's unfortunate.  Guatemala's not great but they have a strong fanbase that would've helped fill stadiums and make the tournament a better event.  I also don't want anymore of these non-FIFA teams being involved.

I don’t want to sound ignorant, but what’s their purpose in Concacaf since they aren’t a recognized country or FIFA member.

They are essentially like the Catalonia team, but they get to play in official tournaments and they have to adhere to FIFA rules, although they aren’t a FIFA member

5 minutes ago, Shway said:

I don’t want to sound ignorant, but what’s their purpose in Concacaf since they aren’t a recognized country or FIFA member.

They are essentially like the Catalonia team, but they get to play in official tournaments and they have to adhere to FIFA rules, although they aren’t a FIFA member

Their purpose is to prevent teams lile Canada from earning FIFA points.

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

Why can’t they become a fifa member?

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

I can’t explicitly say, but they aren’t independent countries. Guadeloupe is still captured French territory. 

Bermuda isn’t an independent country either. Neither is New Caledonia which is also a French overseas department. 

1 minute ago, Alex said:

Bermuda isn’t an independent country either. Neither is New Caledonia which is also a French overseas department. 

It's very confusing who is FIFA and who isn't then you add that in w/the Olympics coming up so its always a mind F that Great Britian competes in the Olympics, but England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland all compete indepedently in FIFA

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

Great reference point, thanks for the correction.

So answer this question now, as I don’t know why either. 

20 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Why can’t they become a fifa member?

4 minutes ago, Shway said:

Great reference point, thanks for the correction.

So answer this question now, as I don’t know why either. 

I have wondered why French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Bonaire, sint and Saint Martin aren’t fifa members also and the only conclusion I can come up with is that they don’t want to be. 

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

I have wondered why French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe, Bonaire, sint and Saint Martin aren’t fifa members also and the only conclusion I can come up with is that they don’t want to be. 

It might be that they don't want to leave the French FA - their club teams can compete in the French Cup and they receive support. There is also the fact that former French internationals can play for them, which is a big point of pride. 

The only difference I can find is that New Caledonia is considered a special collectivity of France, while the CONCACAF nations are considered overseas departments. What this means is that New Caledonia has their own citizenship (in addition to French) and can pass their own laws. Whereas Guadeloupe et al have the exact same status as regions in France.

15 minutes ago, Alex said:

Or FIFA are meddling in politics