Gold Cup 2021

Ansem

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Interesting thing about these French territories is that their club teams compete in the Coupe de France.

I heard that St. Pierre and Miquelon is trying to join Concacaf under the same rules.

Grew up playing these guys in youth tournaments from a very young age right up to senior soccer. They've had some decent teams over the years, but they would get roasted playing in concacaf. 

6 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Grew up playing these guys in youth tournaments from a very young age right up to senior soccer. They've had some decent teams over the years, but they would get roasted playing in concacaf. 

People would have said the same about Montserrat at one point. Do they have much of a diaspora to draw from in metropolitan France?

1 minute ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

People would have said the same about Montserrat at one point. Do they have much of a diaspora to draw from in metropolitan France?

Unlikely, but you never know.

It's basically the French version of Newfoundland, and there isn't exactly a huge diaspora of Newfoundlanders (unless you include Alberta, I guess).

Saint Pierre and Miquelon played in some French oversea territories cup about ten years back and got smacked by Reunion 11-0, French Guiana 7-0 and Mayotte 10-0. They’ve also lost to New Caledonia 16-1. 

And for the above discussion there is little to no diaspora. Their airport only opened about 20 years ago and they’ve only started flights to France in 2018. 

4 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

Saint Pierre and Miquelon played in some French oversea territories cup about ten years back and got smacked by Reunion 11-0, French Guiana 7-0 and Mayotte 10-0. They’ve also lost to New Caledonia 16-1. 

And for the above discussion there is little to no diaspora. Their airport only opened about 20 years ago and they’ve only started flights to France in 2018. 

Their domestic league is 3 teams 

12 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

This seems about right based on my experience. You're probably looking at a team that would be weaker than your average U sports team by a couple goals at least, if not more. 

They aren't exactly terrible as far as amateur soccer goes, they are actually pretty decent considering their population and situation, but if we are talking about international soccer, well that is obviously a massive leap. 

That said, they would only get better by playing more competitive games, but one has to wonder if there is much benefit in further watering concacaf down. Having a small island nation in the north atlantic instead of the caribbean would be a nice break from the norm, so at least that diversity would make things a little more interesting.

8 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This seems about right based on my experience. You're probably looking at a team that would be weaker than your average U sports team by a couple goals at least, if not more. 

They aren't exactly terrible as far as amateur soccer goes, they are actually pretty decent considering their population and situation, but if we are talking about international soccer, well that is obviously a massive leap. 

That said, they would only get better by playing more competitive games, but one has to wonder if there is much benefit in further watering concacaf down. Having a small island nation in the north atlantic instead of the caribbean would be a nice break from the norm, so at least that diversity would make things a little more interesting.

If I was the manager of the national team I would be trying to schedule friendlies with some of the universities in Nova Scotia and Memorial to help build some experience even if they are playing likely superior teams. They could probably also set up friendlies with St. Lawerence  which would be good for travel. 

37 minutes ago, Atlantic said:

If I was the manager of the national team I would be trying to schedule friendlies with some of the universities in Nova Scotia and Memorial to help build some experience even if they are playing likely superior teams. They could probably also set up friendlies with St. Lawerence  which would be good for travel. 

Last time I played in Challenge Cup St. Lawrence were pretty much based in St. John's because that's where most of the players lived (for work and school). They travel back home to play their home games, which is kind of funny, but it's always a great atmosphere there and a fun road trip. It would probably be easier for St. Pierre to just go to St. John's and play the Challenge Cup teams out there, including St. Lawrence.

I don't think they need to play MUN however, at least not in summer. The players will be with their club teams in Challenge Cup. In the fall is a different story.

Another comment on the level of St. Pierre: In Newfoundland we run a MEGA provincial tournament, which is basically an open tournament to all teams not playing in Challenge Cup (top provincial division in Newfoundland). The last time I played a club from St. Pierre was in that tournament, and I was gonna say they were called ASSI, but now going on wiki I see the club is actually called A.S. IIienne Amateur (ASIA).

Anyhow, I believe they beat us and lost the tournament in the final, and having played in the Newfoundland Challenge Cup I would say they could probably hold their own in it, so if they were to improve their level they should lobby the NLSA to have them compete in the challenge cup regular season, but on an exhibition basis. They do that already for the Newfoundland Canada Games team whenever that rolls around.

If St. Pierre is motivated to up their level that would be the best thing to do, plus it would give the Newfoundland teams an awesome away trip. I am all for it!

Edit: May have been ASSP I played against, not sure now, but either way....

Edited by Obinna

Jamaica have replaced Javon East due to injury with Andre Gray ….mind blowing🤯.

1DB6DCE5-47CC-4D59-87A5-D58BAE87EE95.thumb.jpeg.04d0c074214936ae4ec62629070e50de.jpeg

Theres gotta be some internal affairs going on with that team why he wasn’t selected in the first place. 

Maybe some of the land born players don’t want the Jamglish guys there, because some of the guys on this team, shouldn’t be there over the likes of the ones who aren’t. Pinnock, Lowe, Palmer, and Gray are better than Flemmings, East, Williams, and Walker.

I think Jamaica will win their group. 

I'd love to see Suriname knock Jamaica out in the group stage just because of that annoying Jamaican youtuber who was calling on our demise to them. It would be sweet justice.

I can't imagine things are too great with the Jamaican squad if they're having this homegrown vs. naturalized dilemma within their team. I'm a firm believer that international football comes down to the team first, the tactics a close second and the talent third. 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Jamaica have replaced Javon East due to injury with Andre Gray ….mind blowing🤯.

1DB6DCE5-47CC-4D59-87A5-D58BAE87EE95.thumb.jpeg.04d0c074214936ae4ec62629070e50de.jpeg

Theres gotta be some internal affairs going on with that team why he wasn’t selected in the first place. 

Maybe some of the land born players don’t want the Jamglish guys there, because some of the guys on this team, shouldn’t be there over the likes of the ones who aren’t. Pinnock, Lowe, Palmer, and Gray are better than Flemmings, East, Williams, and Walker.

I think Jamaica will win their group. 

I think Jamaica finishes 2nd with either Costa Rica or Suriname finishing in 1st